Gesh. These things are this cheap now?

Ackbar00

http://www.chicagomotors.info/3930/2012-Chevrolet-Caprice-Police

Kind of surprised. Would have really taken look had I not have the other two cars.

From our handpicked selection we bring you this Black 2012 Chevy Caprice 9C1 Police Package with 79k Miles. This rare 6.0L V8 RWD Caprice is in very well kept and maintained condition all around. Engine sounds perfect, transmission shifts smooth, brakes are in good condition, tires all around are in at least 50% shape. The body of the vehicle is in good shape, aside from average blemishes due to normal wear and tear. The black interior is in good condition as well. And remember, all vehicles are checked and inspected by qualified technicians before being placed for sale online, getting it ready for your drive back home no matter where it is.

Looks pretty bare bones and beat up. Seems like you are just paying for the engine.

If it were an Impala or Malibu it'd be worth what? 5 grand?

RWD LSx V8 sedan. Not a lot of non-Mopar competition. I'd buy it if I didn't already have one. Impala/Malibu are boring pieces of shit. I bet this thing, even beat to shit and bare bones, is a blast to drive hard.

I hear what you guys are saying about Impala/Malibu but this is only 4 years old...

I'm not saying the car is that incredible, but it is the right chassis and pretty unique. Show me a 2012 V8 RWD anything with sub-100k miles on it for less than $13k...

79k on the odometer, the idle time puts it closer to 200k in wear. These cars aren't really taken care of that well either.

Generally there is an hour meter / logging function somewhere in the ecu. It would be a lot easier to tell the life it lived if they disclosed that info. It's intriguing regardless.

depending on how the vehicle was used and by what agency there are sometimes mechanical hobbs meters hidden in them too. It's for the department's mechanics to track electronics service for things like batteries. Generally government vehicles tend to be well serviced, just ridden hard and put away wet.

considering this unit doesn't have any visible racks, rear cage mounts, or any visible holes from outside accessories, I'm guessing this was probably not a PD unit but one used by another agency, which means it could have been used just like anybody else's daily driver.

Be easy to check out the motor, when you was slipping a cam into it ;)

And lets be real here, say it DOES have some motor issues to fix it's not like it's hard to find LS parts. Besides every time something breaks it's just an excuse to UPGRADE

Is it an AL block? Ls3? 4L 60 or 80e?

This has potential.

I believe it is an AL block, it's the L77 designation which the only other applications are Holdens. the reason it was picked for the PPV was supposedly it is flex fuel E85 compatible and has active fuel management (cylinder deactivation). Otherwise the specs read like a GMT900 truck vortec. Rated HP is 355 and 384 ft/lbs of torque so it isn't a "high performance" engine per se.

6L80 6 speed auto.

I originally thought it was the same L76 6.0 lite that came in the G8 GT but apparently they are different but closely related engines.

depending on how the vehicle was used and by what agency there are sometimes mechanical hobbs meters hidden in them too. It's for the department's mechanics to track electronics service for things like batteries. Generally government vehicles tend to be well serviced, just ridden hard and put away wet.

considering this unit doesn't have any visible racks, rear cage mounts, or any visible holes from outside accessories, I'm guessing this was probably not a PD unit but one used by another agency, which means it could have been used just like anybody else's daily driver.

I don't know about IL/Chicago, but most big cities don't have the same minimal use of unmarked units that OH has. Additionally, especially in my experience in Boston, many departments are using lights that are hidden on the interior of the car; grilles, upper windshield, etc.

Still, you could be right. I somehow doubt they'd allocate a big V8 interceptor to non-pursuit duty though.

*Edit* nevermind, just realized that is not the ecoboost otherwise I would be on my way to chicago

This looks like a better buy to me as far as beat police fleet cars go

http://www.chicagomotors.info/3873/2013-Ford-Taurus-Police-AWD

I don't know about IL/Chicago, but most big cities don't have the same minimal use of unmarked units that OH has. Additionally, especially in my experience in Boston, many departments are using lights that are hidden on the interior of the car; grilles, upper windshield, etc.

Still, you could be right. I somehow doubt they'd allocate a big V8 interceptor to non-pursuit duty though.

Just thinking about NYC where even mid level employees of the water department got "police interceptor" panther crown vics as "company cars" was the same way in New Orleans too.

hmmm. May have to check out the "company cars" in New Orleans when were down there for Mardi Gras.

I thought it was one of the goals of Mardi Gras to spend as little time as possible inside vehicles wearing a "police interceptor" badge.