College Football 2016/17

Lauren

For the past decade they've been saying it's *insert almost any SEC team*'s year. Same with Georgia, they are overrated every preseason and always shit the bed. I'll believe it when I see it.

Tale as old as time. The lone consistent is 'Bama. The rest are roller coaster rides.

Easy Timmy! I still think OSU struggles and loses to Oklahoma ala Va Tech but finds their groove and gets rolling. The 2014 team was a similar squad, "Is Elliot the starter or will it be someone else", "How are we going to survive without Braxton" "Where's the defense?"

Seasons like that are always simultaneously nerve racking and thrilling. Can't wait.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU lost a ton of guys. They play at Oklahoma early this year, 2nd game I think? I really don't see OSU winning that game.

They have a couple other tough games on the road. I think it's reasonable to expect them to lose 2 games this year. That's not bad, especially considering how inexperienced they are as a whole. At least they have a proven QB so you gotta feel good about that.

OSU has more experience than the media would lead you to believe. Plenty of guys return that have seen plenty of meaningful playing time on both sides of the ball.

Plus

http://247sports.com/Article/College-football-column-Barton-Simmons-on-Ohio-States-budding-st-46536978

After we released our preseason College Top247 on Monday, I got a text from a contact within an NFL personnel department. One of his observations:

"Sam Hubbard is gonna be a problem in the Big Ten."

That's the edited version. There was an expletive thrown in there for emphasis.

Who the hell is Laken Litman? :dumb:

I agree though. Pre-season polls are a joke. With that being said, here are some of my pre-season polls/predictions.

National top 10:

1) Alabama

2) Oklahoma

3) Clemson

4) Stanford

5) Florida State

6) LSU

7) Ohio State

8) Houston

9) Florida

10)Michigan

Conference Winners:

ACC: Florida State

Big 12: Oklahoma

B1G: Ohio State

Pac 12: Stanford

SEC: Alabama

Best at-large: Houston

Top Heisman Candidates:

Deshaun Watson (Clemson)

Christian McCaffrey (Stanford)

Leonard Fournette (LSU)

JT Barrett (OSU)

Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma)

Dalvin Cook (FSU)

Edited by BStowers023

I'd prefer Ohio State be told they are overrated and they don't belong in playoff discussion, as Ohio State tends to perform very well historically in an underdog role, and particularly well in such a role in the Urban era.

Last year, all Ohio State heard preseason was how they were the second coming of the '95 Nebraska team. I think the pressure and expectations weighed on them.

I also have a hunch (read: I'm just wondering aloud) that sometimes really good college players that know they are out the door and have really big paychecks waiting on them in the NFL will kind of go on autopilot and, as a result, not be as effective as they would be ordinarily. I think that's why, sometimes, you see teams stockpiled with NFL draft picks (like Ohio State last year) under-perform. Think Miami's team in 2002 versus the team in 2001; in 2001, they could have beaten the Browns, but in 2002 they essentially slept-walk through the season, including that BCS title game with Ohio State. I'm an Ohio State homer, but I'll be the first to tell you that Miami team was playing at about 65 percent capacity that night.

Remember when Brady Hoke won 10 games his first year and everyone anointed Michigan national champs?

Harbaugh is weird. And he comes across as incredibly unlikable in interviews. I remember when he acted like a dick when he was interviewed about him going for 2 against USC when he was at Stanford and they were up a bunch. Then he was a complete tool when being interviewed by Colin Cowherd about a year or two ago. I saw him at B10 media day and, even when he's trying to be cool, he comes across like a douche.

• 2 weeks later...
Remember when Brady Hoke won 10 games his first year and everyone anointed Michigan national champs?

Harbaugh is weird. And he comes across as incredibly unlikable in interviews. I remember when he acted like a dick when he was interviewed about him going for 2 against USC when he was at Stanford and they were up a bunch. Then he was a complete tool when being interviewed by Colin Cowherd about a year or two ago. I saw him at B10 media day and, even when he's trying to be cool, he comes across like a douche.

I think he legitimately has Asperger syndrome.

Lol at Harbaugh and Jim Romes twitter scuffle.

"Roasted! Damn, you got me good. Like 42-13 good."

https://twitter.com/jimrome/status/765907275756122112

Saw this earlier today. LOL'd. Harbaugh WAS a decent QB for them. He's AWFUL at interviews, comments, and...so far everything else. Time will tell. He may be a great coach. We'll see.

The rich, just got a whole lot richer! OSU landed commitments today from not 1, but 2 5* WR's in the class of 2017. Trevon Grimes out of Florida (#3 WR) and Tyjon Lindsey (California/Vegas #5 WR)

Lindsey is from Cali, but lives with and plays highschool ball with fellow OSU commit 5* QB Tate Martell in Vegas.

On paper this is the best recruiting class ever, 6 5* players so far and still in the hunt for more