Need some out of state title assistance

TurboGoKart

I'm looking at a car in hopes of buying it. It has a Virginia title. What do I need to make sure of in order to be able to get the car titled in Ohio? Seller said it has a Virginia title (which is a non notary state), and asked if I was ok with an open title. He said there's no spot for a notary. Any advice? Thanks!

According to the Ohio BMV's website, for an out of state sale, you just need the original title and out of state inspection in order to get it titled in Ohio.

Yeah but when you go to pay the taxes and try to register it they will ask for proof of what you paid and if you don't have something you pay taxes based on nada/kbb value.

Let's pretend for a second that I didn't just go through this in February and let me ask you: did you not think you were going to have to pay tax on the vehicle?

Title will have a spot for price and all other info, the title will not need to be notarized like Ohio and also yes a simple vin inspection to confirm your vin matches and the title form and you are good to go, same as PA as well

Yeah but when you go to pay the taxes and try to register it they will ask for proof of what you paid and if you don't have something you pay taxes based on nada/kbb value.

Let's pretend for a second that I didn't just go through this in February and let me ask you: did you not think you were going to have to pay tax on the vehicle?

Great advice

Title will have a spot for price and all other info, the title will not need to be notarized like Ohio and also yes a simple vin inspection to confirm your vin matches and the title form and you are good to go, same as PA as well

If it is 0 or they think it is undervalued they will call you on it. I had a car I bought for $2500 and a bike I was paid to take. The clerk called bullshit on both, and asked for some kind of proof. The family member I bought the car from wrote me a bill of sale on the spot, and for the bike she took pity on me and said "just give me a plausible value so I don't have to look it up" so I showed her a picture and told her $500. I would rather have had a document to whip out and avoid all the nonsense. Do you "need it"? No. Will it make your life easier? It might.

If it is 0 or they think it is undervalued they will call you on it. I had a car I bought for $2500 and a bike I was paid to take. The clerk called bullshit on both, and asked for some kind of proof. The family member I bought the car from wrote me a bill of sale on the spot, and for the bike she took pity on me and said "just give me a plausible value so I don't have to look it up" so I showed her a picture and told her $500. I would rather have had a document to whip out and avoid all the nonsense. Do you "need it"? No. Will it make your life easier? It might.

I actually had this happen once too.

Get a bill of sale, even if it isn't the completely accurate amount.

As long as your title is coming from a state where it isn't required that the title is notarized, then an open title is usually ok. I have bought and sold dozens of motorcycles over the years and the biggest issue I ever had was a PA title that required to be notarized. I had to track down a previous owner two owners prior and have him resign in front of a notary.

Open titles usually indicate "title jumping" (when an owner never registers it and passes it on to a new buyer), which is kind of illegal because in most states it is a form of tax evasion. It is however, rarely enforced unless the vehicle is stolen or otherwise suspect and then usually against the seller. The three problems I have ever had with it are the PA situation mentioned above, a bike I bought where the buyer line had been filled out in someone else's name, and a vespa I bought through a close friend that swore up and down he had a transferable registration (in NY for vehicles older than 1973) and it turned out he only had a photocopy of one. Of the three, the vespa is the only one that is still screwing me because I have to show the NY DMV I tried to reach the previous owner via certified mail before they issue me a new registration.

With an open title, make sure:

1) title doesn't required to be notarized

2) Bill of sale matches the name on the title

3) buyer's line is not filled out

4) no liens (if there is one you may have to track down the PO to get a letter of release)