New (to me) toy. 2001 Wrangler Sport

BStowers023

Just went and picked this up yesterday in PA. Got a crazy good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up. 138k miles and it's been garaged at least the past 3 years. Frame is good, interior is super clean. Drives much better than I expected with the tires and lift it has, but still wasn't the most comfortable 3 and half hour drive home. I'm new to Wranglers, my first Jeep was actually my first car 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition and I loved everything about it but the gas mileage. Any Jeep guys on here? Tips? Good mudding spots? I want to learn a little more how to work on them but I don't have the tools or resources really to do much, so any recommendations on a good Wrangler mechanic?

Also, best site for parts?

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b509/bstowers18/8655b8d9-076f-4490-9d2a-b930a0f810be_zpsvw2jnqso.png

Edited by BStowers023

This weekend: http://www.jeepjam.net/

I am a member of the group that runs JeepJam, the Muddy Buddys. They are mainly from the Cincinnati and Dayton areas, but there isn't any good Jeep groups in Central Ohio. They do normally hold 1 or 2 events a year in Columbus. They are a fun group.

Also, there are no legal places to wheel on public property in Ohio. None. Don't do it. Just because people go to place A and have never been caught doesn't make it legal. And if you go on private property, make sure you have permission of the land owner. There are a few off road parks in Ohio, but I have never been.

As for local shops, Trails West in Pataskala and Trail Quest in Plain City are the 2 bigger Jeep shops in Central Ohio. You also have Pickups Plus.

As sites for parts:

4wd.com

Quadratec.com

ExtremeTerrain.com

Northridge4x4.com

There are township roads that are legal...but most are just gravel. Very few unmaintained ones. Take it up to Southington when they open once a month and stretch its legs.

Looks clean. Ditch the silly decal and diamond plate and it would really be cherry.

That is true, there are the Vinton County unimproved/unmaintained roads that technically are public property and people wheel on. You do have to be careful down there as some of those roads are actually private property. Just make sure you go with someone that actually knows the roads through there. Muddy Buddy's make a trip through Vinton County a couple times a year.

Nice score. The TJ is the last of the inline powered jeeps and probably the most refined while still being able to interchange parts with earlier models.

With tires that big did the PO swap gear ratios? Often people don't do it due to the expense and it's the single best improvement you can do to a lifted jeep.

Hey, Brad...we had MOJO (Mid Ohio Jeepers ...uhh...Organization(???)) at CC&C and they seemed to be cool people...

Yeah MOJO is Mid Ohio Jeepers Organization. They are a newer group and kind of the sister group of the Muddy Buddys with a lot of the people being members of both groups. Biggest difference is MB is for Jeep Wranglers/CJ's only. MOJO is open to all Jeeps, so Cherokee's, Grands, etc are ok to become members. They had been talking about coming to the CC&C for a while now to add a little variety to the CC&C scene.

You've got lots of jeeping knowledge out here in Plain City so ask away. Between Trail Quest, Bulletliner, and ourselves there's almost always some sort of wrangler being torn apart, rebuilt, modified, lifted, or whatever.

Welcome to a whole new world of what do I modify NEXT!? What sorts of suspension are under that thing? Plans for it?

Brandon, did you get rid of the Firebird? I thought I saw it at CC&C recently...

Yeah, I sold it a while back. I wish I hadn't :cry:

This weekend: http://www.jeepjam.net/

I am a member of the group that runs JeepJam, the Muddy Buddys. They are mainly from the Cincinnati and Dayton areas, but there isn't any good Jeep groups in Central Ohio. They do normally hold 1 or 2 events a year in Columbus. They are a fun group.

Also, there are no legal places to wheel on public property in Ohio. None. Don't do it. Just because people go to place A and have never been caught doesn't make it legal. And if you go on private property, make sure you have permission of the land owner. There are a few off road parks in Ohio, but I have never been.

As for local shops, Trails West in Pataskala and Trail Quest in Plain City are the 2 bigger Jeep shops in Central Ohio. You also have Pickups Plus.

As sites for parts:

4wd.com

Quadratec.com

ExtremeTerrain.com

Northridge4x4.com

Unfortunately I'm going to a wedding Saturday or I would definitely check it out.

Engine n tranny?

4.0 inline 6 with a 5 speed manual

You've got lots of jeeping knowledge out here in Plain City so ask away. Between Trail Quest, Bulletliner, and ourselves there's almost always some sort of wrangler being torn apart, rebuilt, modified, lifted, or whatever.

Welcome to a whole new world of what do I modify NEXT!? What sorts of suspension are under that thing? Plans for it?

Sweet man, if I need any help I'll get in touch with you. The suspension was done from the previous owner before the person I bought it from. It was actually the Dad selling it for his son who was overseas so he wasn't exactly sure. I know it has 35" tires so I'm thinking at least a 4.5" lift but probably a 5"?

Not to sound like a broken record on this...but....assuming you have 35" tires and a 3.73 gear it is like you have a 2.90 gear ratio on stock tires. If someone swapped in 4.11s from one of the 4cyl models then it's like you have a 3.08 ratio on stick tires. Ideally for a 35" tire on a wrangler you want a 4.56 or 4.88 gear ratio. You won't get great gas mileage but the jeep won't feel like everybody is running up behind you wile you have the pedal mashed.

A quick way to figure out ratio is to drive the car at 60mph in 4th and record the rpms. Use a gps speedometer app as I have never seen a lifter wrangler with an accurate speedo. You should be ideally somewhere between 2600 and 3k if your gear ratio was changed to a 4.11-4.88. Anything under and you know where your first mods should be.

Especially with the add-ons, I'm curious what a "Crazy Good Deal" is...

$7800

Not to sound like a broken record on this...but....assuming you have 35" tires and a 3.73 gear it is like you have a 2.90 gear ratio on stock tires. If someone swapped in 4.11s from one of the 4cyl models then it's like you have a 3.08 ratio on stick tires. Ideally for a 35" tire on a wrangler you want a 4.56 or 4.88 gear ratio. You won't get great gas mileage but the jeep won't feel like everybody is running up behind you wile you have the pedal mashed.

A quick way to figure out ratio is to drive the car at 60mph in 4th and record the rpms. Use a gps speedometer app as I have never seen a lifter wrangler with an accurate speedo. You should be ideally somewhere between 2600 and 3k if your gear ratio was changed to a 4.11-4.88. Anything under and you know where your first mods should be.

Yeah the speedo is off. When the speedo says 60 I'm really running about 72mph at about 2100rpms in 5th. Based on that, what do you think? I plan on doing a few things in the coming weeks. Trying to keep budget in mind