SCCA National Championship RunOffs at Mid-Ohio (9/23 - 25)

downingracing

I'm participating in the RunOffs at Mid-Ohio in two weeks! I qualified in Touring 4 with my Solstice and my championship race is Friday the 23rd at 5:10pm. I'll be at the track for the entire week and there are races all day Friday to Sunday. I've been around the SCCA my entire life and am very excited to participate in my first RunOffs event as a competitor!! Finishing car prep this weekend and trailer upgrades next week.

Anyone planning to attend? Always fun to see friends at the track and would be great to put some new faces to names. I've got paddock space in the upper grass on the main upper paddock road. Sharing space with a few other Pontiac racing friends who also run in Touring 4.

Matt Downing

Touring 4 Solstice #16

Thanks guys! And Andy - Tell Yasmin I said hi!! :)

The Solstice is probably not the car to make it to the podium with and I'm not sure I've got the talent in this car to be in contention. My personal goal is top 1/2 (which would be 16th or better). The field is full of top talent and top prepped machines. I'm happy to be a part of it and am looking forward to doing better then I should in my Solstice!

Trailer upgrades are almost complete (interior) and the car is just about ready to go. Tires order and will be at the track - two sets of dry and one set of rains (hoping to only need one set for the race).

I'll have my street Solstice at the track to use for parts if needed. :)

Rolling out on Sunday for the track. Towing up and then coming back home for the street car (parts car for the week). I pick the trailer up Friday and should be able to get everything finished Saturday to leave Sunday. Getting my annual inspection completed tomorrow. Nothing like cutting it close!

• 3 weeks later...

Follow-up from the event:

Bent a wheel on Monday in qual. Overnighted replacement wheel and got it Wednesday. Came together with another car at the start (6 turns into the race) and damaged the car. Broke that new rim and have body damage down the pass. side. Not the way I wanted my first Runoffs to go...

Up side is the new trailer wrap is killer! http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/members/downingracing-albums-trailer-picture4250-image.jpeg

And the video of the front and rear cameras:

Ruling was we were both at fault for the contact. We spoke and left on good terms.

Follow-up from the event:

Bent a wheel on Monday in qual. Overnighted replacement wheel and got it Wednesday. Came together with another car at the start (6 turns into the race) and damaged the car. Broke that new rim and have body damage down the pass. side. Not the way I wanted my first Runoffs to go...

Up side is the new trailer wrap is killer! http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/members/downingracing-albums-trailer-picture4250-image.jpeg

And the video of the front and rear cameras:

Ruling was we were both at fault for the contact. We spoke and left on good terms.

Really? In the video it looks like you're on the racing line and he continues to track out into the side of you, after you completed the pass.

Glad to see the Solstice still competing. Better luck next year.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Really? In the video it looks like you're on the racing line and he continues to track out into the side of you, after you completed the pass.

Glad to see the Solstice still competing. Better luck next year.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I agree, wow...

Unless I'm wrong on line, what a pussy ass decision at both being at fault.

I'll have to look for the video. It was the American Sedan race. Dude stopped and waited for the leader and then intentionally took him out.

Leader spun and got back on the track and had a big enough lead that he still won the race.

Offending driver was suspended indefinitely yesterday

I took that video. Uploaded it to FB and it got sent all around. I was on the hill and watched the entire race. When the Yellow car rolled to a stop, we couldn't figure out what happened. Then he slowly rolled backwards checking his mirrors to get a good view of the end of the back straight. Then he waited for the White car to come around. After he rolled backwards and got 'into position', I got my phone out and recorded the event. We all knew what was going to happen and it did.