New zero turn options.

Mojoe

I'm looking to upgrade my zero turn. I mow about 2.3 achers. Currently, I'm running a Toro ss5000, with a 50" stamped deck, and a top speed of 7mph. I'm looking to reduce my time mowing and get something newer, while my current mower still holds some selling value to off set the cost of the new one.

What I have found that I like so far is between these two:

The Scag has a 3 year warranty and is $5100. The Exmark has a 4 year warranty and is $5600. The scag will do 8mph and the Exmark is still at 7mph for me. Both are a 52" deck. Exmark's customer service is reportedly amazing. Although, there is nothing bad seen for Scag. I'm leaning toward the Scag for the speed and cost, with known reliability and durability. Is there a competive mower in this range that I am over looking? How the hell am I justifying $5k to mow my lawn? Thanks, CR.

Scag

https://ope.buckeyepowersales.com/freedom-z-52-with-kohler-engine.html

Exmark

https://ope.buckeyepowersales.com/pioneer-e-series-52-with-kawasaki-engine.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like like to cut time by 20 minutes. 1mph in a mower is a big help. It's not just mowing a flat square. Mowing around things, like trees and structures, all add to mow time.

Can you go to a taller tire on the drive wheels on your current mower to get a higher top speed?

Storytime. I had 1.8 acres to mow once.

I looked into fancy mowers, then used fancy mowers, and eventually settled on a barely-functional 1980s john deere 46"? I bought on CL for $200. Spent $25 rigging up a fuel pump, and had to charge the battery every 2 weeks, but I mowed with that little pile of shit without any problems for 3 years.

Sold it for $300 when I sold the house and never looked back.

It would mow in high gear at WOT too, never could really do the 1.8 acres in much under 40 minutes but it was an easy yard.

If it had to do it again I would have bought a decent tractor for $3k and a bush hog for a few hundred and been done in 20 minutes with a rough-cut who-gives-a-fuck yard. Can do tons of useful stuff with a tractor too.

if you seriously want to cut down on mowing time, get a 60 or 70" deck and call it a day, they are pricey, but if you buy a used commerical mower then it will still last forever. my parents bought a brand new 729 grasshopper and then they got a used one from Evolution Ag, I can't even tell you which one is which, but i know they saved about $4k on the used one just by buying one with a "couple" hours on it.

Edit: Buy this, kubota 3 cyl liquid cooled will run forever if you take care of it.

http://www.evolutionagllc.com/equipment.asp#/?fsucriteria=;category=Riding%20Mowers;page=1;items=20;sort=0;wid=1;disposition=used&fsuid=35042712-11ee-448c-884b-c70438576cf1

The price point on larger than 52" deck gets crazy, fast. I'm thinking the low side of commercial mower level, will give me the value and long life out of the mower. Used mowers in this range, that I have seen, are still holding a price that makes me lean toward new and have a warranty. I'm not looking to work on something, as I don't have much time for the projects I already have going.

Greg, your link didn't go to the Kubota. My dad has one though, and he has to have work done to it 2-3 times a year. He paid about $10k new, and is always needing something fixed.

The price point on larger than 52" deck gets crazy, fast. I'm thinking the low side of commercial mower level, will give me the value and long life out of the mower. Used mowers in this range, that I have seen, are still holding a price that makes me lean toward new and have a warranty. I'm not looking to work on something, as I don't have much time for the projects I already have going.

Greg, your link didn't go to the Kubota. My dad has one though, and he has to have work done to it 2-3 times a year. He paid about $10k new, and is always needing something fixed.

its a grasshopper 729, the engine is made by Kubota, my parents have had no issues until this year, and it was just a cap/rotor replacement.

mowed 10+ achers a week with a 61" Scag Turf Tiger - Kohler air-cooled. Absolute tank. Beat the crap out of it for 10 years and sat outside a lot too. When I get a yard that big again, I will be going back to Scag. Best mower money can buy.

Might seem old, but this mower will not let you down.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grq/5684109266.html

52"/50" is 4% more cut, 8mph/7mph is 14% faster, giving a best case scenario of mowing your 18% faster overall.

Just go the extra mile and get some used commercial 60"+ mower. If you had a 62" deck that did 10mph, you'd easily be cutting 50% faster.

This is cool, tells you how many acres you can cut per hour with various deck sizes and speeds http://www.grasshoppermower.com/deck-aph/

Long story short

- I have 2 acres, fair amount of trees and some small hill sides.

- My troy build 50" zero turn I got from lowes I thought was sweet. It did a job, until I rode and used a commercial mower

- I save 45-60 minutes a cut on my new 60" Kubota I bought

- Mowing on a commercial 60" kubota changed my pleasure in mowing. The cut quality, speed (like 14mph, its faster then you can cut), comfort, durability, ect all so much better.

- The value holds much stronger on a commercial mower in fact I got offered essentially what I paid for it 18 monthes later...not bad.

Honestly dont bother just going for the "slighty" bigger deck, and small amount of speed, you wont save the time you think you will.

Most places will let you try a mower out, and if you ask you can cut your own yard. I know when I bought from evo. ag, I said I want to try it on MY yard, prove it to me its worth the money. They brought it over, I used it, and then bought it. I timed it against a "fast" cut on my old mower, not even close, and the cut and look what far better.

60" or bust son.

http://kubota.com/assets/news/Kubota_Z700.png

That is what I got.

My dad has a 60" exmark that runs at 12 or 14mph or something silly. He has been cutting 5 his acers on it for the last 5 years with no issues. Has a diesel tractor with a 72" deck too but the exmark does everything better. Not sure if this even helps you but +1 for exmark I guess.

I have a Ferris is700z with the 61 inch deck... seriously hands down best mower I've ever owned... thing is a beast and it moves out. highly recommend it. I move my yard 3.51 acres in an hour and a half and that's with all the shit I have to mow around.

I have a Ferris is700z with the 61 inch deck... seriously hands down best mower I've ever owned... thing is a beast and it moves out. highly recommend it. I move my yard 3.51 acres in an hour and a half and that's with all the shit I have to mow around.

I have always wanted to test one out. Front and rear suspension ?

I use a 66" SuperZ and it works great.

Exmark in my opinion is complete junk, we had them at work and nothing but issues, everything is made of pop can metal.

Ferris, Hustler, Scag are all good.

Another great option brand new is the big dog from tractor supply. Very solid mower.

Don't worry about speed as I highly doubt you will be maxed out on it. I think my Hustler goes 14 mph but I never go that fast.

Edited by Rocky31186