New daily ideas

Geeesammy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, Samsonite is going to school and needs to finish the Supra at some point. I think we all need to pull back on his expectations a bit. Not that he can't get a nicer, higher-performance sports sedan or wagon...but that he SHOULDN'T.

The Supra will be his fun car, going fast, making brapbrap noises and taking names. He needs a low-maintenance MPG-machine with room for a Hightower-sized dood.

Sorry to be the dad at the top of the stairs, flipping on the lights when I hear you guys spanking it down in the basement. :gabe:

A3 interior is inferior to the GTI in both design and materials imo.
Cloth seating wise I will agree to that. the cloth in mine blows compared to my brother's old same year GTI.

It's also smaller, due to door panel design, and dash, and the aforementioned headroom. I crossed them off the list, and I'm 6'6".

The only time I ever noticed a difference was in the size of the doors and getting in. The 2 door GTI was just easier to get into because that door is huge. I'm long in body so I jack the seat down. It is possible for me to jack the seat up and have my head touch the headliner, but I like to sit in the car not on it.

Also the A3 is decontented for the badge, non standard options that a base GTI has. Dumb.

I agree. The only things I miss though are the steering wheel buttons for the radio. I didn't miss them before, but after driving my bmw for 7 months with them I am now slightly annoyed the A3 doesn't have them. I'm a pretty simple guy so the less stuff a german car has the less there is to break. I am convinced the only reason this car has been so reliable is because it was a base model with no options, my brother's GTI has all sorts of electrical problems when it hit 80K.

Only decent A3, IMO, is the 2.0T DSG AWD cars from 09+, and they're dumb because auto.

the FWD manual car I have is fun to drive. I don't know what qualifies it as "decent" but it's fun. You can retrofit the awd to the A3 using audi TT parts (or S3 parts from europe). Wife and I may consider it next year once we figure out if we are keeping it or not.

The only trait that is redeeming about these cars is the lift off oversteer. I know if you Jeremy Clarkson one, you can get the ass out, but come on...nobody is doing that.

I do it all the time on cloverleaf exit ramps (the really tight one from roberts road on to 270 is my favorite). What's the point in having a lowered A3 if you don't pitch it hard when you have the chance.

Also the 09-11 VAG cars have non defeatable ESP :dumb:

agreed.

I havent, every other Subaru at work seems to have Head Gasket issues so ive always been scared away. I may look into them as I was set on a passat sportwagen but lack of manuals made me sad.

I drove a 2009 one at carmax last year when I thought they would total the jeep. the car was a lot of fun and faster than I thought. I always feel like the head gasket thing with subarus is because of people modding them. I may be wrong but the guys who are always talking about it seem to also want to tell me about their perrin parts or their vape pen.

Guys, Samsonite is going to school and needs to finish the Supra at some point. I think we all need to pull back on his expectations a bit. Not that he can't get a nicer, higher-performance sports sedan or wagon...but that he SHOULDN'T.

The Supra will be his fun car, going fast, making brapbrap noises and taking names. He needs a low-maintenance MPG-machine with room for a Hightower-sized dood.

Sorry to be the dad at the top of the stairs, flipping on the lights when I hear you guys spanking it down in the basement. :gabe:

Hate to say Clay is right :gabe: but he is.

This has gotten sidetracked a little. I mainly mentioned the Regal GS as a high end option I would get if I found an absolute killer deal on it, like 20k miles for $13k kind of deal. By fun I just mainly meant something that has the ability to keep me engaged in ownership with it. I get bored with any car very easily and I need something for the long haul. A CTSV or GTI would be amazing, but I cant leave stuff like that stock. If and when I get time to make my Supra right that can be all the fun I'll ever need but until then I just want something that isn't awful on gas and reliable as can be.

I can fix the broken shit when it happens and afford to pay someone if I cant, its just the downtime and hassle of it that would be the nuisance.

I drove a 2009 one at carmax last year when I thought they would total the jeep. the car was a lot of fun and faster than I thought. I always feel like the head gasket thing with subarus is because of people modding them. I may be wrong but the guys who are always talking about it seem to also want to tell me about their perrin parts or their vape pen.

All those I have seen with headgasket issues have been 100% stock. I have seen a few under 80k miles where it's been obvious the gaskets have already been done and they are still seeping noticeably.

Mazda 6? Sport, could spend a little bit more for the Touring

I like the newer Mazda 3 and 6 lines, not sure when the newest gen came out but they (Mazda) seemed to have really upped their quality on the interior and the styling inside and out looks phenomenal.

Lexus ES350, tons of car for the money, and it will be punishingly reliable and you will have to drive it forever. Plus more power than that 2.0T BS.

Coworker has a 2003 ES350...great cars, but she's having a rash of electrical issues now with only 120k-ish on the odo.

Horn doesn't work and airbag light is on. She fears Takata recall. I say "clock spring", she says "kill it with fire".

Coworker has a 2003 ES350...great cars, but she's having a rash of electrical issues now with only 120k-ish on the odo.

Horn doesn't work and airbag light is on. She fears Takata recall. I say "clock spring", she says "kill it with fire".

350's are okay.

Never thought about this but GS300 would fit my bill nicely....

I like the newer Mazda 3 and 6 lines, not sure when the newest gen came out but they (Mazda) seemed to have really upped their quality on the interior and the styling inside and out looks phenomenal.

2014 for both. Breaking away from Ford has allowed them to put out a great product. Not huge hp numbers but great handling and both are always praised by Car and Driver.

If you want a manual, the 3 will have the 2.0 and the 6 has the 2.5.

• 2 weeks later...
Getting closer to settling in on something to buy. Anyone have any experience with the 07-ish MKZ's? Seem to be a great value and something around the size I want. Internet says transmission issues but it also says that for every car...

Getting closer to settling in on something to buy. Anyone have any experience with the 07-ish MKZ's? Seem to be a great value and something around the size I want. Internet says transmission issues but it also says that for every car...

A guy at work just got rid of his 07 for that reason. About 120k a lot of stuff went bad so he got a newer one. He loves the new one with the 2.0t.