Places with in-car brake lathes?

PRD2BDF

I'm currently chasing out all vibration issues on the Saab. I have had all wheels that was bent repaired, new tires and now my brakes vibrate when braking from high speeds. This tells me that the brakes are warped.

I could take the rotors off and have them turned again but I wanted to see if there were any good places to have the brakes on the car turned

Any recommendations?

Cody, for a little more than the price of lathe work (my guess), you could almost get new rotors...checking on Rockauto...

I got new rotors last year but with frequent stop and go, I tend to go through tires and brakes and oil pretty quickly so but I know the rotors still have life left in them.

Cordell, how do I guarantee I get you? And is it pricey?

I got new rotors last year but with frequent stop and go, I tend to go through tires and brakes and oil pretty quickly so but I know the rotors still have life left in them.

Cordell, how do I guarantee I get you? And is it pricey?

If you decide to come see me all Ricart scheduling goes through one department, and since you drive a Saab it would go through the Motor Trend service drive which happens to be the area I work. Telling them that you request me is all you'd have to do. It may be easier for you to e-mail my boss so I'll PM it to you tomarow when I can make sure I have it right.

Cody, for a little more than the price of lathe work (my guess), you could almost get new rotors...checking on Rockauto...

I was talking the other day with the autotech instructor at school and we got on this subject. A lot of new rotors from the factory are shipping with tolerances that are larger than the manufacturer allows. So you could actually get brand new rotors that are outside acceptable tolerance. Apparently some shops have had enough problems that they started selling a cutting service with brand new rotors. Also, if the hub on the car is ever so slightly off the rotor will wobble even if it's perfect. With the on car lathe the rotor will be cut based on the geometry of the car.

I was talking the other day with the autotech instructor at school and we got on this subject. A lot of new rotors from the factory are shipping with tolerances that are larger than the manufacturer allows. So you could actually get brand new rotors that are outside acceptable tolerance. Apparently some shops have had enough problems that they started selling a cutting service with brand new rotors. Also, if the hub on the car is ever so slightly off the rotor will wobble even if it's perfect. With the on car lathe the rotor will be cut based on the geometry of the car.

Sean (Crossle) took my BMW in when I had a skk-skk-skk-skk-skk scraping noise from one of my wheels after doing new brakes all around with Centric rotors and Stoptech pads. Turns out, one of the rear rotor hats/parking brake drums was so out of spec, he had to lathe it to get it back to tolerance. Noise/brake dragging went away.

Agree with you, Rick. Sad that a lot of aftermarket brake rotors are all made in China, and the cheaper ones are those that likely fail tolerances.

Had this exact same issue happen with the new set of Powerstop rotors I put on the stealth. Nothing like finally getting that bastard back together with all "high end" parts and hearing that dread noise as soon as you pull backwards off a lift. Friggin Fraggin

We cut all brand new rotors on the car on almost every brake job.