Official Clown Show AKA Presidential Race

BStowers023

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

long read, but worth it - hits on some very good points that resonate with me.

"All of the polling data showed that the majority of Americans supported compassionate immigration reform. You turned around and called for a pathway to citizenship that would have shifted American electoral politics dramatically to the left for decades to come. President Barack Obama, after saying no less than 30 times that he didn’t have the legal authority to do so, decided to bypass Congress and give amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants by executive order. When a Federal judge ordered the administration to stop, they kept sending out amnesty paperwork anyway. When Kate Steinle was murdered by a five-time deported illegal immigrant in a Sanctuary City, you spoke out in favor of letting potential-killers roam the streets to further your commitment to political correctness. Instead of looking at the real pain caused by illegal immigration in this country, you went to bat for people whose first act in this country was to break our laws. You went too far on immigration and you lost.

Most polling data shows that a plurality of Americans support sensible “common sense” gun control. This election season, you defined the term “common sense” for the first time… and it was terrifying. You chose a Presidential candidate who promised to eliminate the individual right to keep and bear arms by reversing the very Supreme Court case (Heller v DC) that affirmed that Americans have the right to own a gun. You nominated a candidate who promised to ban entire categories of weapons based not on their lethality, but on what attachments they have and what they look like. You went too far on gun control and you lost.

The vast majority of Americans supported the idea of revamping healthcare to make it affordable. Instead of working alongside Republicans, you jammed a healthcare bill down our throats using a parliamentary maneuver that allowed it to pass without a single Republican vote. One of your chief architects of the ACA said, on camera, that the law passed because of the stupidity of the American voter. When faced with the reality of premiums skyrocketing and health insurance companies leaving the system all together, you refused to admit that people were upset because you went too far. Instead, you nominated a candidate who argued the system was falling apart because we didn’t go far enough. You went too far on healthcare and you lost.

The majority of Americans support the idea of “free trade.” But you nominated a candidate who called the Trans-Pacific Partnership the “gold standard of trade agreements,” a candidate who celebrated, alongside her husband, when NAFTA passed and when China entered the WTO. When Democrats had the chance to kill the Trans-Pacific Partnership last year, 14 Senate Democrats voted alongside Republicans to give the President power to negotiate on it further. Those same Democrats voted for a companion bill (Trade Adjustment Assistance Act of 2015) to set-aside billions of dollars to retrain the hundreds of thousands of Americans who would lose their jobs as a result of TPP. You went too far on trade and you lost the entire Rust Belt as a result.

The country was roughly split 50/50 on the issue of abortion. Donald Trump stood on a Presidential debate stage and say that yes, if elected his Supreme Court judges would overturn Roe v Wade. Four years ago, many said Romney lost the election because of his “binders full of women.” By any measure, Donald Trump’s statement should have lost him the election. But he only received 1% less support among women than Mitt Romney did. Why? Because right after he said he wanted to overturn Roe v Wade, his opponent declared she believes abortion should be legal up until the date of delivery, which not only terrifies me as someone who was born significantly pre-mature, but it also goes directly against the viability test set forth in Roe v Wade. You went too far on abortion and you lost.

Contrary to the liberal talking points coming out over the past few days, the vast majority of the country believes in equal rights for people of color. Instead of building off of this common ground, Black Lives Matter popped up and the nightly news was filled with images of African Americans rioting and burning black neighborhoods to the ground. Police Officers began getting gunned down in the streets and yet Democratic Congressmen and Senators promoted this organization from the floor of the House and Senate. Even today, after Donald Trump won the Presidency in a landslide, disgruntled African Americans are being caught on camera savagely beating White citizens, simply because they voted for Donald Trump. You went too far on the issue of race and you lost.

Many on the Left, throughout this election, said that Donald Trump’s message was devoid of specifics. If you were one of them, then you weren’t paying attention. Donald Trump’s campaign was completely issue-based. He won by a landslide because he isolated every single thing that the Left went too far on and promised to right the ship.

While you were salivating over the prospect of 11 million illegal aliens being given citizenship and added to the voter rolls, Donald Trump was meeting with families who had loved ones killed by illegal aliens that Barack Obama refused to deport. While you used the San Bernardino attack and the Orlando Massacre to push for more gun control, Donald Trump stood on stage and promised to keep the violent Muslim extremism that caused these attacks “the hell out of our country.” While you called Donald Trump the most anti-gay candidate ever, he was going off script at the Republican Convention, thanking delegates for applauding his plan to keep the LGBT community safe. He was standing on stage at a rally in Colorado holding up a gay pride flag.

You believed that Trump’s comments about illegal aliens and certain women would spell certain defeat for the maverick billionaire. Now that the dust has settled, exit polls show Donald Trump winning 1% more of the Latino vote and only getting 1% less of the women vote than Mitt Romney did. You were wrong.

By all means, continue to post about how you think Donald Trump’s victory was caused by prevalent racism or sexism or some other -ism. That is your right and I will defend it to the death. But Hillary Clinton didn’t lose this election because of an –ism. She lost this election because the American people rejected every single part of your platform and until you realize this, you are going to keep losing.

One line that was repeated throughout the campaign when the pundits thought Trump was melting down was a Napoleonic quote: Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It would be easy to say this now as Clinton supporters blame everyone but themselves for this historic electoral result.

But at the end of the day, this proverb doesn’t fit because you’re not my enemy. You are my friend, my neighbor, my countryman. We voted to Make America Great Again for all Americans and I sincerely believe that you will be pleasantly surprised."

Edited by Panduh

Mike Rowe's similar weigh-in

http://tribunist.com/news/mike-rowe-finally-weighs-in-on-trumps-victory-hillarys-supporters-wont-like-this/?utm_source=AFY

http://tribunist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Screen-Shot-2016-07-05-at-9.28.59-PM-1-640x336.png

Mike Rowe has grown one of the most prolific followings on Facebook, partially due to his political rants that, while slightly conservative leaning at times, more or less just call things like they are.

Well, it was pretty much inevitable that Rowe would weigh in on the election that took place this week and we have a pretty solid analysis from Mike.

It starts off with a quick question from a fan:

Here is Rowe’s post from his Facebook page:

Hey Mike. You’ve been very quiet. Everything OK? I just wanted you to know that I voted for you. I was also hoping you might explain what the hell happened on Tuesday, and say something to make me feel better about my fellow man. Thanks,

Carol Savoy

Well, Mike answered Carol and he did so in a very thorough fashion.

Hi Carol

Last Friday, my dog posted a video that featured a man licking a cat with the aid of a device that’s designed for the specific purpose of making it easier for people to lick their cats.I’ve been silent ever since, because frankly, I couldn’t think of a better way – metaphorical or otherwise – to express my feelings about this election cycle. The entire country it seems, has been preoccupied with finding a way to lick a cat without actually putting their tongue on it.

Too oblique? Too weird? Ok, how about this analysis:

Back in 2003, a very unusual TV pilot called Dirty Jobs, Forrest-Gumped its way onto The Discovery Channel and found an audience – a big one. For Discovery, this was a problem. You see, Dirty Jobs didn’t look like anything else on their channel. It wasn’t pretty or careful. It took place in sewers and septic tanks, and featured a subversive host in close contact with his 8-year old inner child who refused to do second takes. Everyone agreed that Dirty Jobs was totally “off-brand” and completely inappropriate for Discovery. Everyone but the viewers. The ratings were just too big to ignore, so the pilot got a green-light, and yours truly finally got a steady gig.

But here’s the thing – Dirty Jobs didn’t resonate because the host was incredibly charming. It wasn’t a hit because it was gross, or irreverent, or funny, or silly, or smart, or terribly clever. Dirty Jobs succeeded because it was authentic. It spoke directly and candidly to a big chunk of the country that non-fiction networks had been completely ignoring. In a very simple way, Dirty Jobs said “Hey – we can see you,” to millions of regular people who had started to feel invisible. Ultimately, that’s why Dirty Jobs ran for eight seasons. And today, that’s also why Donald Trump is the President of the United States.

I know people are freaked out, Carol. I get it. I’m worried too. But not because of who we elected. We’ve survived 44 Presidents, and we’ll survive this one too. I’m worried because millions of people now seem to believe that Trump supporters are racist, xenophobic, and uneducated misogynists. I’m worried because despising our candidates publicly is very different than despising the people who vote for them.

Then Mike got to the meat of the post. What about the people who voted for Trump and his supporters? He addressed that as well and urged Clinton supporters to be careful about painting with a wide brush:

Last week, three old friends – people I’ve known for years – each requested to be “unfriended” by anyone who planned on voting for Trump. Honestly, that was disheartening. Who tosses away a friendship over an election? Are my friends turning into those mind-numbingly arrogant celebrities who threaten to move to another country if their candidate doesn’t win? Are my friends now convinced that people they’ve known for years who happen to disagree with them politically are not merely mistaken – but evil, and no longer worthy of their friendship?

For what it’s worth, Carol, I don’t think Donald Trump won by tapping into America’s “racist underbelly,” and I don’t think Hillary lost because she’s a woman. I think a majority of people who voted in this election did so in spite of their many misgivings about the character of both candidates. That’s why it’s very dangerous to argue that Clinton supporters condone lying under oath and obstructing justice. Just as it’s equally dangerous to suggest a Trump supporter condones gross generalizations about foreigners and women.

These two candidates were the choices we gave ourselves, and each came with a heaping helping of vulgarity and impropriety. Yeah, it was dirty job for sure, but the winner was NOT decided by a racist and craven nation – it was decided by millions of disgusted Americans desperate for real change. The people did not want a politician. The people wanted to be seen. Donald Trump convinced those people that he could see them. Hillary Clinton did not.

As for me, I’m flattered by your support, but grateful that your vote was not enough to push me over the top. However, when the dust settles, and The White House gets a new tenant, I’ll make the same offer to President Trump that I did to President Obama – to assist as best I can in any attempt to reinvigorate the skilled trades, and shine a light on millions of good jobs that no one seems excited about pursuing. http://bit.ly/2fG1SxI

Like those 3 million “shovel ready” jobs we heard so much about eight years ago, the kind of recovery that Donald Trump is promising will require a workforce that’s properly trained and sufficiently enthused about the opportunities at hand. At the moment, we do not have that work force in place. What we do have, are tens of millions of capable people who have simply stopped looking for work, and millions of available jobs that no one aspires to do. That’s the skills gap, and it’s gotta close. If mikeroweWORKS can help, we’re standing by.

If not, I suppose we’ll just have to find another way to lick the cat.

Mike

You really think he "disrupted" anything? Dude is thinking about giving Newt Gingrich a job (secretary of state). It really doesn't get any more old boys club than that. That dude is literally a cancer on our political system that we had excised back in 2012, and now we are about to get him back? Ugh.

Forget, that he was found guilty of an ethics violation and tax fraud while speaker of the house, or that he is openly discriminate toward non-Christians and wants to abolish separation of church and state, that he shut down the government for several days because of a personal grudge with Clinton, that the Republican Party wanted to throw him out in 1997 because of his tantrums, or that his marital infidelity is equally as prolific as Bill clintons and twice as despicable (who dumps his wife because she has cancer?). Forget all of that....since this is a car forum I'll mention the one thing important to us - this dude wants to put more Ethanol in our gasoline.

It completely boggles my mind how many people on Facebook are STILL going on about Trump supporters being xenophobic/sexist/racist. Physically attacking Trump supporters for their political views. By all means, keep doing it! This is the shit that got him elected to begin with. Party of tolerance my ass. I think we all agree that there's a lot of division in this country right now, but the irony is that a vast majority of it is coming from the exact same group of people claiming to be oppressed. The democratic party is a fucking joke right now.

And +1, the video Brian posted is spot on.

You really think he "disrupted" anything?

Nope. The People are the ones who are disrupting the political establishment and telling the progressive pansies that they need to move to California and wait for the state to be destroyed when the big quake happens.

Ironically should the "BIG one" hit it will be interesting to see all the Trump haters of California look to him for help. I"m sure they will "want to be heard" as many of us did and WERE finally heard in this election.

There were protests in Columbus last night... Not surprising since this is a pretty liberal city.

I didn't watch the news so wasn't aware. Sounds like the cupcake generation still has too much time on their hands if they are out walking around. Good news is many of them are at least getting the exercise they need. Fit bit and other companies should market to this movement.

Save

You really think he "disrupted" anything? Dude is thinking about giving Newt Gingrich a job (secretary of state). It really doesn't get any more old boys club than that. That dude is literally a cancer on our political system that we had excised back in 2012, and now we are about to get him back? Ugh.

Forget, that he was found guilty of an ethics violation and tax fraud while speaker of the house, or that he is openly discriminate toward non-Christians and wants to abolish separation of church and state, that he shut down the government for several days because of a personal grudge with Clinton, that the Republican Party wanted to throw him out in 1997 because of his tantrums, or that his marital infidelity is equally as prolific as Bill clintons and twice as despicable (who dumps his wife because she has cancer?). Forget all of that....since this is a car forum I'll mention the one thing important to us - this dude wants to put more Ethanol in our gasoline.

Trump thanks you for your support and for your vote.

Bernie meant for this to go to you....

http://forums.macrumors.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20161111%2F6d88b2897a031b97e06dc8c94e630875.jpg&hash=ba8b5a3769eb0d2394d86e6392ce2d00

I support a socialized medical program but the current system is broken. My mom actually had coverage for the first time in her life and was able to get some preventative care. Since then (a year and a half ago?) her rates tripled and she has had to go without insurance because she can't afford it.

A better solution than dismantling the program in place would be to address the problems that plague it. IMO, strongly regulating insurance companies would reduce the amount of money we all have to pay. It's at least a start.

Trump mentions in Gettysburg that his plan in the 1St 100 days is to retire Obama care. Additionally, he's going to let insurance be bought across state lines to make the companies actually compete with eachother and give the individual states regulation of their Medicaid.

In theory that should drive cost down.