Question: Buying A Car Out of State

BStowers023

So I'm currently looking for a car that is pretty rare and most nicer ones are 300+ miles away. I don't have the time to take off work to go out and get one in let's say California or Arizona, but I want to keep my options open. Let's say hypothetically speaking I find one I want out in one of those states, how would I go about getting them the cash, transferring/signing the title and shipping the car here? Like what order, or is there really no good answer as someone will be at risk regardless? This is all assuming it is from a Private Seller.

Your primary concern: making sure what you're going to fork over cash for is legally owned/sold by the person you're in touch with, that it's in acceptable condition as described, and that it will make it to you and become your property in a timely manner.

Seller's primary concern: getting your money before he even considers parting with the title or vehicle, all other things be damned.

If it's a pretty rare car, the seller has the upper hand because you're obviously contacting him for his car for a reason.

IMO when it comes to a private seller, there is absolutely no recourse if shit goes sideways, and I would never buy/pay for a car sold by a private seller without actually seeing it in person and having a trusted mechanic give it a once over in person.

Too much risk IMO, take the time to go see it or wait til one closer pops up. They're just pieces of metal.

Couple of things:

1) learn what the local title transfer process is for the state your are buying from. Some states require notarization (Louisiana, Ohio, etc...) and some don't (New York, New Jersey, etc...). This way you aren't surprised by an un-notarized title showing up when you need one. This is esp important in states where the DMV can put a lein on the vehicle for unpaid taxes and prevent a sale. Most states have everything up on their websites.

2) run multiple stolen vehicle checks. Don't just run it through the insurance database, contact local law enforcement and see if they will run it. Some states are known as "vehicle washing" states (e.g. Tennessee) where just by titling it in their state you can remove all sorts of brands from titles like salvage and even stolen.

3) Money isn't actually too difficult. For things under $20K, what I have done in the past is wire half upfront, then the remainder when the title comes in. This just limits the exposure if the deal turns out to be bad. If you are paying cash for the car to a private seller and you are talking about something really expensive ($20K plus) it might be worth it to open an escrow account in a national bank and deal with it that way.

4) Titles shipping is a little tricky. Always send via a reputable shipper with a confirmed tracking number and a mandatory signature (not the USPS delivery confirmation where they just throw it at the door). Have an out where if the title is lost - since the seller can replace it not you.

Personally, if it is something rare and expensive and being purchased from a private party you don't know, it's always better to take a flight out and do a PPI yourself. If you want to do the deal it's then real easy to do the title and cash exchange on the spot. Of the friends I have had that have done out of state deals in the last 2 years, the majority of the ones who bought the car sight unseen were unhappy, but those that went were happy. Personally, there has only been one time I traveled for a motorcycle and the bike was in much worse shape than the picture showed - like really bad (it was an old drag bike, the pics showed it in a garage, but when I got there it had been clearly stored outside for more than a year uncovered) and was able to make a real adjustment on the spot for the price.

Good info, thanks guys.

A little more info for possibly suggestions since I was vague. The car I'm looking to get is a 91-94 Toyota MR2 Turbo ($3-10k range). I'm looking for one more in the $3-5k range that will need a little work so I know the car is done right and has new parts when I'm finished.

Okay, thanks man! There's one I've been eyeing out there. I'll let you know if I decide on it! I appreciate it :thumbup:

Anytime. Don't mind helping a fellow car guy out.

Keep in mind that car values down here are pretty high because of the climate, what is a $1k beater in Ohio commands $2500 here, but the good thing of it the obvious lack of rust, I still see plenty of 80's Toyota pickups and such running around here all the time, anywhere else they'd have rusted away years ago.