Garage heating?

zeitgeist57

Best value for garage heating?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Best value for garage heating?

• Plug-in electric heat (infrared or radiant)
    • Ceiling-mount electric
    • Ceiling-mount natural gas
    • Propane heater

I've been kicking around the option of heating my attached, 2-car garage cheaply, knowing that it doesn't get too cold...but would make working/washing cars a lot easier. I'm not expecting 80+ degrees, but if it was warm enough to dry water after I washed a salty car in Optimum No-Rinse, that would be huge. Let alone not having achy joints from working on cold metal and lying on an icy concrete floor!

For reference:

Propane Tank-Top: cheap, but 30k BTUs and not much propane used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/30000-btu-tank-top-propane-heater-67856.html

Natural Gas heater (wall/ceiling mount): great heat, permanent solution. Pricy unit and running natural gas line out to garage will be EXPENSIVE.

Electric ceiling mount: not cheap, but permanent and simple garage heating solution.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAir-17-060-BTU-5000-Watt-Electric-Garage-Heater-G73/205588544#customer_reviews

Parabolic heater: very cheap, but only localized heating. Get a couple?

http://www.harborfreight.com/400900-watt-oscillating-parabolic-heater-62313.html

Please vote and add your comments. Thank you!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Propane FTW.

Scored one of these for cheap on Craigslist a few years back, @ Max setting (200,000btu) it will take a 20 Degree 1 car Garage to 75 in all of 5 minutes :dumb: Nothing like working in shorts and a T-shirt when it's like 19 degrees outside :).

https://www.amazon.com/Master-TC200V-Convection-Heater-Drywaller/dp/B0000224FC

41WQFMY81AL.jpg

Thanks a TON for the responses so far, gents!

I agree...I like the idea of the Propane tank-top because it's an efficient source of BTU's, and I have no problem going through a tank or two of propane @ $40 a pop this winter.

Any concerns in an attached garage about burning propane and essentially having gases not being vented outside?

I'll be running one of these in my 30x40 uninsulated pole barn this winter. Cheap and get amazing reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-LPC200DG-Liquid-Propane-Convection/dp/B00K8H8840

With those high output propane you heaters really need to run a 100lb tank. I mean you can run a 20 pound tank, so long as you keep air blowing over it (THE TANK) to keep it from freezing.

I usually run mine at 200,000 BTU for a few minutes at a time, then shut it off. After that i'll periodically run @ 100,000btu to keep the temps up.

No clue how harmful the emissions can be ( almost everyone says it's safe but i've yet to hear an expert opinion). That said I constantly keep fresh air Cycled in by cracking the garage door a bit.

Edited by acklac7
FIXED

With those high output propane you heaters really need to run a 5lb tank. I mean you can run a 1 pound tank, so long as you keep air blowing over it to keep it from freezing.

I usually just last mine at 200,000 BTU for a few minutes at a time, then shut it off. After that i'll periodically run ot @ 100,000btu to keep the temps up.

No clue how harmful the emissions can be ( almost everyone says it's safe but i've yet to hear an expert opinion). That said I constantly keep fresh air Cycled in by cracking the garage door a bit.

The fuck did you just say? :dumb:

Either way, I'll be tying it into my home propane tank which is located just behind my barn.

Space heaters, LOL.

Every last person I've had in my garage absolutely Marvel's at how awesome it is to wrench in 70 degree temps during the Winter. It's Downright Blissful.

If you plan on doing any significant work, get nothing short of 100,000 BTU.

60k BTU Hot Dagg in my 2 car garage, natural gas, vented outside, has a automatic thermostat, -0- fuss. I also have a Mitsubishi mini split in the same garage, essentially it's a heat pump, it doesn't heat as well as the NG unit, but it does cool the garage quite well in the summer.

60k BTU Hot Dagg in my 2 car garage, natural gas, vented outside, has a automatic thermostat, -0- fuss. I also have a Mitsubishi mini split in the same garage, essentially it's a heat pump, it doesn't heat as well as the NG unit, but it does cool the garage quite well in the summer.

Do you vent the heat from the condensor coil outside? Definitely need to look into that setup.

Do you vent the heat from the Evap coil outside? Definitely need to look into that setup.

It's a super heat pump, there is a compressor that mounts outside, it uses the freon to produce the heat, no venting needed.

The only lines going to the inside unit are from the compressor, if you have the funds, this may be an option, and, you can buy these online, the larger units run off 220V. I have a 16k btu unit, if I were relying on it for heat by itself, I would have gotten a larger unit. There are charts online to get you in the ball park to what size to buy.

Here's the one I'm having installed in the coming weeks to replace a 25+ year old one. 220V and heats a cold garage with ease. Neighbor has one. My garage rarely gets below 50 unless temps plummet to below zero. I always just set it to 45. During morning coffee I would turn it up to 70 so the cars and garage were toasty when getting loaded up. Even the old one kicks ass and heats the place to 70 within a few minutes. Today It was 65 and I was sweating working on two cars. Had to open the garage twice to cool it off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PSFRTG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=252YBUCMFWRFS&coliid=I1WURXW70D4TIS&psc=1

Thanks a TON for the responses so far, gents!

I agree...I like the idea of the Propane tank-top because it's an efficient source of BTU's, and I have no problem going through a tank or two of propane @ $40 a pop this winter.

Any concerns in an attached garage about burning propane and essentially having gases not being vented outside?

$40 to fill or to exchange a 20-lb tank is pretty steep. The last time I filled my tank, it was around $15.

Barring a propane leak, propane combustion product that might cause a concern is carbon monoxide due to inefficient reaction. Since your usage is intermittent and the burners are efficient enough (less likely to produce CO), I suppose it is safe to run it in an enclosed garage which is not exactly air tight. If you felt it was necessary, simply plug in a CO detector in the garage as close to the burners as possible.

In comparison, I have run my propane-fueled space heater for hours on end and there has been zero event when I suspected CO concentration to reach a dangerous level. I don't have a CO detector in the garage but there is one in the house.