Moving "Downtown"- Help

Zx2guy19

I can't shake the scent and imprint of my ex wife on my current house, so looking for a change and looking for advice as I've not really explored the downtown area even though I've been in Columbus my whole life. Current house is in Hilliard and I work near the airport.

Considering the following areas:

Merion Village

German Village

Olde Towne East

"NOB" (North of Broad)

Italian Village

Ideally, I'd like to stay West of Parsons. I am willing to go up to 200k and I want to pay half up front from equity rollover to defer tax on my profits on my current house.

What are some areas that you guys live in or have experienced that I can find a good deal? I can, and want to, do work. I cringe paying higher for a house because it's done when I can do the work myself.

Needs to be at least 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath. Ideally would like a garage but I know those are rare as hell in those areas.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Franklinton, EAST of 315. Shady, but you can be sure that's the next area to blow up with COSI being rebuilt and 400 W. Rich/Land Grant Brewing adding a lot of buzz to that area.

Other than that, be prepared to go condo. You can get garages, but working on your junk may be difficult. I know a couple of car guys (single) living downtown but neither does more than car washing at their places...no real room to store major tools and don't want to draw attention from peeps walking around downtown.

I applaud you for this. There are certainly compromises, but Ohio is a great state population-wise to get a true downtown-living experience yet still have relative ease getting around. I just came back from Christmas in Philadelphia with family (been doing it for years) and while a neat city, you'd need to be a millionaire to live well downtown, or you're in some sh!tty neighborhoods for miles just to get by. If I lived downtown, I'd have a really hard time not plowing down cans of Oranjboom at 16-Bit, Mikey's Late Night Slices, a Big Rig burger at Walrus, drinking Old Chub at PINS...so many fun places to be down here. :thumbup:

Edited by zeitgeist57

Thanks guys- I know GV and IV are a huge stretch at that point, but I was thinking I could get something that needs 20-30k worth of work and still be good.

Thanks for the recommendation on Tri- I'll look in to that.

Clay- I just donated a duplex in Franklinton. Gave it back to the city and took a 21k tax write off, it was WAYYYY too ghetto for my blood.

I live in Clintonville and used to work off Taylor Station over that way. Really not a bad commute being opposite of most traffic.

You can get a garage here pretty easily, or at least one that you can add an opener and spruce up enough to use.

Your main problem is its a sellers market right now. Hardcore. Things here are going in less than a week sometimes and for 10-20K over asking. Granted most of these bigger money ones are up more north towards Henderson..

I am by Weber and its a great little spot. Pretty much in the armpit of Weber and High is a cool spot. Walk to food, Giant Eagle, tons of bars, breweries!. I dont see any college kids really like I thought I would around here which is nice.

Clay- I just donated a duplex in Franklinton. Gave it back to the city and took a 21k tax write off, it was WAYYYY too ghetto for my blood.

It's too bad, because East Franklinton (I corrected my original post ;)) Is a great location to walk/bike downtown...most of the garbage has already been leveled, but there's not a lot to buy.

There's a couple commercial buildings...just get one of those, build out a loft bedroom/bathroom and have the greatest car hangout ever. :D

I lived in Grandview for a year and really enjoyed it before moving in with my GF (rented obviously).

I highly recommend grandview, while it may not be walking distance to attractions I dont think I ever spent over 7$ on an uber to get anywhere downtown. Not to mention a quick jump on 670 in the morning and its a straight shot to the airport. During rush hour you're usually going in the opposite direction of traffic so that's not an issue.

One of my best friends did exactly what you're describing. Bought a small house in Grandview around $160k from an elderly woman. Remodeled everything doing all the work himself with his dad, I think he said its worth just north of 200k now but there are several homes in his neighborhood that have been flipped for north of 200k. I think the exact area is called University View maybe? Behind lennox just off of of Kinnear. For OSU games or concerts we park at his place and walk. It's a really convenient neighborhood. Also, most of the homes have garages.

I have another friend, a divorcee like you, who just got an apartment by W Rich street and W Main area. It's not as populated as Grandview and other areas you mentioned but its walking distance to Walrus, Main Bar, Mikey's late night, and other places are a cheap uber drive away. Of course his rent is around $1850 a month, not sure if renting is for you but I really like that area.

Check out Franklinton, EAST of 315. Shady, but you can be sure that's the next area to blow up with COSI being rebuilt and 400 W. Rich/Land Grant Brewing adding a lot of buzz to that area.

I've heard the same about Franklinton, how its the next neighborhood to be "revitalized" Not sure I would live there now but if you're looking for an investment to pay off in the future?

I worked in Franklinton briefly years ago and it was a shithole, everytime I drive past it doesn't look like much has changed.

Clay has seen my neighborhood, off Noe-Bixby and Broad. It's a hidden little pocket that has held up well. Close to your airport area, and there are still some good investment properties to remodel.

We're up 75%+ on our 3 year home.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've heard the same about Franklinton, how its the next neighborhood to be "revitalized" Not sure I would live there now but if you're looking for an investment to pay off in the future?

I worked in Franklinton briefly years ago and it was a shithole, everytime I drive past it doesn't look like much has changed.

Once the Riverside/Bradley apartments were torn down, the area cleaned up very nicely.

Again, Vanderelli/Rehab Bar/Land Grant/400 W.Rich is where you want to be, but not a lot of places seem available. City ordinance prevents you from buying a trailer and parking it on raw land ;)

DO NOT LIVE IN MERION VILLAGE. It was wavering between nice and hood, with a heavy lean towards nice areas, but the pendulum has swung back hard to hood. A friend of mine was living there for years, his neighbors had been there decades with no problems. Within the last few months their houses had bullet holes in them a couple times. He just moved to Pickerington.

Look into Clinton Township West/University View. I currently rent here, home prices are high but the it's a nice area. It's the same zip code as Grandview, but Columbus CSD so we don't pay Gview taxes. That zip code drives up home values, you'll see 1300 sq ft houses with a garage and fenced yard go for $250k, but almost all the homes are built in 1945-1950 range so there's likely a few fixer-uppers around here. Quiet neighborhood, neighbors are friendly and respectful, plenty of garbage cans for people to pickup and throw out their dogs' shit, and a rather involved community board that is about as far away from HOA as you can get despite their involvement. I really like living here and unless our jobs take us elsewhere, we'll probably try to buy the house we're renting when the landlords decide to sell.

EDIT: When I worked at Brice/i70, my commute was ~20 minutes. Currently work at Busch/161, commute is ~22 minutes. You cannot beat this location for the balance of quietness, downtown access, commute, and cost IMO.

its changing.. but its changing in to an artists community more than a upscale revitalization.

the Idea Foundry, 400West Rich (where my studio is) Land Grant.. plus more Studio/Condo's being built across from 400... LOTS of major changes happening.

Ive been down tehre for 3 years now and i have to say i feel a TON safer now donw there than i did when i first started going there.. Now.. cross over to the hospital area.. and yah.. ill keep my gun on me if i have to be there..

Doc, I'll go for a drive and scout some stuff...I only saw a couple of signs so there's not much there.

There is already a place!

Hold on .. its a garage.. I have to find the link.. i saw it posted the other day..

its near this place.. its easy to find.. but i cant find the post about it.. /sigh

463 W Town

http://i.imgur.com/cKl3hw6l.jpg

Thanks for the tip, but if you're talking about 463 W. Town, it's a lot smaller than I need. I'd like 6-10k sf which could have at least 4-5k sf of garage (ground floor) and the rest to remodel for an office and an upscale apartment. Ideally it would have high fencing surrounding the lot.

A lot larger building will also work, as there are plenty of CR peeps needing secure storage.

Franklinton is still a shithole. Our offices are off of Sullivant Avenue and this has to be the drug/prostitute capital of Columbus. I have heard that they are trying to clean it up. It would be a good investment, but I wouldn't expect to be anything worth living in for another 5-10 years.

There is already a place!

Hold on .. its a garage.. I have to find the link.. i saw it posted the other day..

its near this place.. its easy to find.. but i cant find the post about it.. /sigh

463 W Town

http://i.imgur.com/cKl3hw6l.jpg

That one just sold earlier this month.