Recommendations for a classic car

PRD2BDF

I've decided that come spring I will buy a classic car. I do not need links but suggestions for cars that is good for a first time classic car owner.

My requirements is that it must be a car that's capable of daily driving (I do plan on using it to commute to Columbus from lancaster during the fall)

I do not care for the two door muscle cars, they're cool but I'm not looking to spend the big bucks. Ideally I would like something 7500 or less. I know that's not a lot but I like odd cars such as Clay's Lincoln and other "undesireables"

I think it would be difficult to keep to that budget and get a dependable car 40-50 years old. Also, consider that when parts fail, replacements often are not so easily available (and affordable) that you could keep the car in daily service.

Obviously you like the concept of using a classic for a DD .... I'd just be ready to either spend more up front or budget a good amount for regular repair.

His budget could work considering 4 door cars have terrible resale vs their 2dr counterparts.

Old cars LOL.

4dr prices are increasing since many cant afford the 2 door versions.

The fact that you want a sedan is in your favor as far as budget goes. You definitely want to stretch your budget to get the most for your money right away, don't convince yourself to buy a $3500 car and fix it up. Buy something that's already a decent driver. I've tried the classic car thing, and decided you just can't argue with technology.

I would suggest sticking with an American V8 sedan for parts availability.

Probably outside your budget for a good one but:

http://img.feedfloyd.com/media/post/thumb-2/6198c216c82749bdea1ac290eadf7284cbdb4e67.jpg

Late 60's Lincoln Continental hardtop. *drool* Always wanted to resto-mod one and turn it into a long-distance cruiser. Just point it at a coast and go....

I would look into things that were popular so there is a strong aftermarket, there are many neat and unique things but if you want to drive it getting parts and easily fixing it would take top priority for me. If you like bigger cars an old Impala comes to mind, things that have a small block chevy would be simple and cheap. You get into anything else and things could be harder to come by or even obsolete depending on what it is. I'm not saying you couldn't do something else but chevy stuff grows on trees, Ford stuff isn't very hard to get, Mopar isn't impossible, and keep in mind that Buick, Olds, and Pontiac are nothing like Chevy of that era.

Yes, land yachts are the way to go.

If you want to truly enjoy an older '70s-'80s car as a DD, the A/C HAS TO WORK. I don't care if it's R-12, as it can be converted. However, when you're driving from Lancaster to Columbus in 82+ degrees - think about this...30+minute drive - you'll want to be fresh when you get to your destination.

Ask that 1979 Olds guy in Cincinnati if the A/C works...