Dodge Challenger Demon

Mallard

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's referring to the gauge cluster. It will keep a tally of your top speed, 0-60 times, and 1/4 mile. Its not tracked, downloaded, or sent to the cloud AFAIK. But it could piss off a customer to find someone abused their car, if you don't reset the cluster.

There is also a reaction timer. A drag tree shows up on the cluster.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

maybe, but there are also cars that record telemetry in their ECMs. I don't know that dodge does it but a LI buddy of mine used to tune mini coopers and he showed me once where the ECU was recording how many times he jumped his car (I think it was based on wheel speed and some other sensor metric). Plenty have event recording for liability in accidents once a specific sensor reaches its threshold.

or maybe he just forgot to reset the GPS.

I think he's referring to the gauge cluster. It will keep a tally of your top speed, 0-60 times, and 1/4 mile. Its not tracked, downloaded, or sent to the cloud AFAIK. But it could piss off a customer to find someone abused their car, if you don't reset the cluster.

There is also a reaction timer. A drag tree shows up on the cluster.

Ah okay, that makes sense

maybe, but there are also cars that record telemetry in their ECMs. I don't know that dodge does it but a LI buddy of mine used to tune mini coopers and he showed me once where the ECU was recording how many times he jumped his car (I think it was based on wheel speed and some other sensor metric). Plenty have event recording for liability in accidents once a specific sensor reaches its threshold.

or maybe he just forgot to reset the GPS.

While this is true, I'd be surprised if the_buster was the_busted from someone attaching a scan tool before delivery. Probably much simpler than that.

Here we have Geeto67 trying to debate the technology of a Chrysler product with a Chrysler engineer.

I'm not debating anything and he confirmed it. He's probably right Buster forgot to reset the trip odometer.

Here we have Geeto67 trying to debate the technology of a Chrysler product with a Chrysler engineer.

He's not wrong, but I don't think anyone would actually manually pull the data before and after buster drove it. Its all shown on the cluster/performance pages.

I keep forgetting you can get a Hellcat with a stick shift.

For all the crap I give FCA for their quality, props to them for still serving car enthusiasts with a proper manual transmission for 2018.

The widebody is really growing on me. I think the bigger diameter wheels help the look for me, and the difference in track time is impressive.

The widebody Hellcat should be a better street car than a Demon, and more suited to a twisty back road or road course. I will wait for reviews to see how grippy the Pirelli's are, but with a capable tire it should perform pretty well. The Demon will out brake a Viper ACR (60-0 in 97 feet) and pull 1G on the skidpad.

The widebody Hellcat is available in a manual and has the bigger Brembo package.

SRT Demon 4-piston Brembo brake setup up front...

Up front are Brembo 4- piston 14.2 x 1.26 (360 x 32.0) 2-piece, vented and slotted brakes, and in the rear are Brembo's 13.8 x 1.10 (350 x 28) vented and slotted disc brakes. Standard on all SRT Demons.

SRT HELLCAT 6-piston Brembo brake setup up front...

Standard on SRT HELLCAT widebody are Brembo brake system which includes two-piece 15.4-inch rotors and six-piston front calipers provide outstanding heat management/thermal capacity and longevity.

f969bf7ba723d51592cca38cd80f6bb7.jpg3f960f8b60af7f9a20a2509b4c0f178d.jpg

I will wait for reviews to see how grippy the Pirelli's are, but with a capable tire it should perform pretty well.

I hated the stock Pirelli P Zeros on my Mustang. The Michelin Pilot 4s were a huge upgrade, saved me 3 tenths on my 60ft time from last spring to this spring. In cornering I feel way more confident than the P Zeros too.

I hated the stock Pirelli P Zeros on my Mustang. The Michelin Pilot 4s were a huge upgrade, saved me 3 tenths on my 60ft time from last spring to this spring. In cornering I feel way more confident than the P Zeros too.

Are you trying to say that your car had the same pzeros as the pp gt?

Are you trying to say that your car had the same pzeros as the pp gt?

I assumed they were the same as I have the larger 20 inch wheels. Not the base wheels. I was under the impression the base models had all season Neros, but mine didn't. If there are different sets of P Zeros and carry the exact same name I am unaware. My bad if I didn't study the slight differences in tire on the Mustangs if the name of the tire matches. I never looked at PP when buying my car because it wasn't offerered in the vert in 2015, so I kinda didn't waste my time when picking out a vert. I will say in that pic above my tread pattern and side wall looked identical, I'm sure the hellcat has a much wider tire than a 265.

Edited by Benjamin

Here were my tires according to Ford: 99Y XL

695d14ff5667aabf5d7ee34be4ddc5c2.jpg

Here are the PP PZeros (original equipment)

225adf014a1ee58ac94198bdeb9036ae.jpg

Looks to be a very very similar tire to me. Hell the 20s are twice the price which sucks, but I didn't pay $300 for those, I paid $330 for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. And again, they feel way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a10246277/dodge-demon-too-wide/?src=socialflowFB

The eagle-eyed reporters over at Allpar recently spotted Dodge Demons and Widebody Hellcats wearing curious sets of blue wheels. They look totally undersized for these cars' massive flared wheel wells, so something was up. As it turns out, both the Hellcat Widebody and the Demon's tires are actually too big for the assembly plant where they're built.

583a90910271ae665874f4cf75aa9b3d.jpg

Originally, Dodge's Brampton, Ontario plant, where the Challenger is built, was only designed to accommodate tires no larger than 275mm wide. Until the Demon and the Widebody came into being, 275mm tires were the widest fit to a Challenger, but the new models use 315mm and 305mm width tires, respectively.

Dodge passenger cars boss Tim Kuniskis told Allpar that those wheels are actually blemished Hellcat wheels painted blue, so Dodge knows not to sell them to the public. The Hellcat Widebody and Demon will ride down the assembly line at Dodge's Brampton, Ontario plant wearing them, only to be taken to an upfitting center where their proper wheels and tires can be installed.

It was more cost-effective for Dodge to fit these cars with throw-away wheels than to re-tool the assembly plant, or risk damaging its new cars. It's actually a pretty ingenuous solution.

Some Demon and Hellcat Widebody owners want these wheels for their collections, but Dodge isn't offering them to the public. The automaker doesn't even have enough of these blue wheels for all the cars it plans to build—when the wheels are taken off, they get sent back to Dodge's plant to be installed on a new car.

You have to imagine that some Demon and Hellcat Widebody owners will fit their cars with blue wheels, as a nod to this odd production quirk, but we don't recommend fitting undersized tires. The whole point of going Widebody is to get more tire under the wheel arches.

Truly, the Demon and Hellcat Widebody push the Challenger's boundaries.

...or Dodge isn't the best at managing PP&E with production requirements. ;)

Considering they last revamped that plant in, like 2004, if not before, I think they did all right.

Are you saying a dealership/manufacturer can go through your data logs if you bring the car in under warranty for a broken component and deny your claim based on your driving history according to your data logs?

Nissan GTR's have an on-board black box, which can do this. yep. for sure. my GTR was full bolt ons when I broke the trans. I took it to Nissan dealer anyways to see if they would fix it under warranty. aside from the mods, which they were cool about---they said switch it back to stock and we will do it if the black box checks out. the black box gets sent to Nissan in japan. they told the dealership "no fucking way", after seeing the number of launches that were done, and the fact the car had about 10 blasts from 55-110mph immediately before breaking. whoops.

...or Dodge isn't the best at managing PP&E with production requirements. ;)

Gm has this same problem with yukons, Tahoe, and suburbans....that's why they ship them with these transport steel wheels that now the sport truck guys go nuts for.

Nissan GTR's have an on-board black box, which can do this. yep. for sure. my GTR was full bolt ons when I broke the trans. I took it to Nissan dealer anyways to see if they would fix it under warranty. aside from the mods, which they were cool about---they said switch it back to stock and we will do it if the black box checks out. the black box gets sent to Nissan in japan. they told the dealership "no fucking way", after seeing the number of launches that were done, and the fact the car had about 10 blasts from 55-110mph immediately before breaking. whoops.

I guess I don't understand that. You buy a $90,000 car that's sprcifically built for performance and then they install a monitoring system to void your warranty if you drive the car like an actual performance car. Fucking scam

SRT's are made to be abused. They used to run 24 hours at Nelson Ledges as a validation test, changing nothing but brakes/fluids at scheduled intervals. Not sure where they run it since Nelson closed.

Obviously modifications will be handled much the same, but shouldn't care about actual racing or how many times you launch the car.

Gm has this same problem with yukons, Tahoe, and suburbans....that's why they ship them with these transport steel wheels that now the sport truck guys go nuts for.

It may also help with height. Someone once told me that the NAV antenna is offset on the Escalade/Yukon/etc is because putting it in the middle of the roof would put them over height to shipping.

It may also help with height. Someone once told me that the NAV antenna is offset on the Escalade/Yukon/etc is because putting it in the middle of the roof would put them over height to shipping.

I've heard a couple different theories as to why ranging from some of the optional wheels are too wide for the assembly line to dealers can order them when they sell and aftermarket tire and rim package so as not to get stuck with a factory alloy. They are 22" rims so I don't know how much a height is a factor.