2017 Fishing thread

Mojoe

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a good line for baitcasters these days? The string on mine is 10+ years old and needs replaced. Whats good this season? Spider wire? That nylon stuff? The bass I'm catching are in the 1-3 lb range.

It really depends on what you're trying to do.

Power Pro braid is what I use 70% of the time. Test strength again depends on what I'm shooting for.

Mono and Fluoro also have a place in my arsenal for different application.

I would tell anyone to try Gliss line. You can cast a mile with this stuff, maybe just short of a mile, but you get what I mean. Super smooth retrieval. Strong like braid, but not thick. I feel everything with this line, and my hook sets and fish staying on, went up substantially from using mono line.

https://www.amazon.com/Ardent-Gliss-Green-Fishing-Line/dp/B015AESZR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498785604&sr=8-1&keywords=gliss+fishing+line

so last night i picked up some power pro 30 lb braid. Maybe a bit too heavy for my application. Makes a crazy sound when coming though the eyelets. Might pick up some spiderwire stealth braid and give that a try. It definitely felt smoother when i was looking at it in the store.

Jeff, if you've not used PP before, the coating wears off pretty quickly and it becomes a lot more pliable. It has what I would almost describe as a wax on it.

30lb probably is a little overkill for bass, but it should let you pull through some snags that would otherwise snap mono or lighter PP.

PP is super strong pulled tightly but will still cut in an instant dragged over a sharp rock shelf or through mussel beds.

i use power pro(standard hate the super slick) suffix 832 when its on sale

jigs 2/10 ( i never break off fish on this, and will bend out a light wire hook before breaking off)

cranks, sticks, traps, and vibees 4/15

troll cranks and bottom bounce with the 10/30

Does anyone want free catfish? I have a 7lb, 6lb, and a 4lb. I'm taking cats out of my pond and caught these last night. They are alive in a large section of the creek I have pooled off, but I don't want to keep them there. I can easily net them and you can take them.

Does anyone want free catfish? I have a 7lb, 6lb, and a 4lb. I'm taking cats out of my pond and caught these last night. They are alive in a large section of the creek I have pooled off, but I don't want to keep them there. I can easily net them and you can take them.

Channel cat's?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would tell anyone to try Gliss line. You can cast a mile with this stuff, maybe just short of a mile, but you get what I mean. Super smooth retrieval. Strong like braid, but not thick. I feel everything with this line, and my hook sets and fish staying on, went up substantially from using mono line.

https://www.amazon.com/Ardent-Gliss-Green-Fishing-Line/dp/B015AESZR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498785604&sr=8-1&keywords=gliss+fishing+line

I can't remember now but did you get the Gliss from me or somewhere else? Glad to hear you like it. It is like no other line out there

• 4 weeks later...
I take my kids fishing at a pond in Hilliard a few times a month. They have starter poles and catch blue gill all day long. They love it. We just use grub worms. Those blue gill seem to love them.

I've caught bluegill on just a shiny hook, ha ha.

night bite at alum started to pickup then some of these cool nights have had the day bite picking back up. Saugeye and Bass both up shallow feeding on bait and craws.

i have a friend whacking shallow water saugeye at indian right now during the day while i'm catching them bottom bouncing at alum in 15 to 25 f.o.w.

if you can get clean water in the scioto some fish are being found.. large saugeye and hybrids below greenlawn dam.

crappies are in their summer patterns you can cath them all night long near lights thowing small twisters or swimbaits on light jig heads

or find them on drop offs during the day in 15/30 f.o.w. in any lake you like. size has been best at delaware all year

• 2 weeks later...

My elementary age kiddos have really gotten into fishing this summer, mainly bluegill/crappie/tiny largemouth bass while dock fishing at metro parks.

I'd like to take them somewhere they can catch something a bit more exciting / bigger before the weather starts to turn. We don't have access to a boat so we're limited to shoreline / docks. Any suggestions? We tried the public areas at buckeye lake today but the pickings were slim. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk