Anybody know about BMW TPS sensors?

Geeto67

- How do I diagnose the TPS system? with a tool that reads the signal it transmits

- can the sensor be replaced without dismounting the tire? No

- Is there something else that might be disconnected? Very Doubtful, I'm not a BMW tech.

- At some point I think one of the wheels is either bent or chucked a weight back in December, could that have an effect? Very Doubtful, unless the sensor broke off inside the wheel, but you'd likely hear it rolling around.

Edited by Cordell

- How do I diagnose the TPS system? with a tool that reads the signal it transmits

- can the sensor be replaced without dismounting the tire? No

- Is there something else that might be disconnected? Very Doubtful, I'm not a BMW tech.

- At some point I think one of the wheels is either bent or chucked a weight back in December, could that have an effect? Very Doubtful, unless the sensor broke off inside the wheel, but you'd likely hear it rolling around.

Sorry dude, I thought I clicked the quote button, didn't mean to edit your post.

Sensor is located in the wheel so requires dismounting. Tom's scanner to read. 99 out of 100 times it seems the tums issue is a failed/failing sensor.

Most bigger tire chains/shops should be able to do them.

Should be a quick and easy replacement. SOME of those can be a major PITA the generics you get at most tire shops won't replace. We've run into this on some MINIs as well since they are now BMW. Your options at that point are, buy a new sensor from BMW or... Buy a new sensor from BMW :(

Essentially though yes, the TPMS sensor sits inside on the valve stem so brake tire off wheel, replace sensor, remount (balance) activate new sensor, program to computer.

Should be a quick and easy replacement. SOME of those can be a major PITA the generics you get at most tire shops won't replace. We've run into this on some MINIs as well since they are now BMW. Your options at that point are, buy a new sensor from BMW or... Buy a new sensor from BMW :(

Essentially though yes, the TPMS sensor sits inside on the valve stem so brake tire off wheel, replace sensor, remount (balance) activate new sensor, program to computer.

We've had a really good record with ITM sensors. We can match them to the original sensors or we can write new numbers and rewrite the module to match them. Done several BMW's and mercedes.