Anyone work at OSU James?

Mojoe

Looking to ask some questions to someone informed about cancer treatment at James. My father was just diagnosed, and is in Vermont. They fond a tumor in his lung mid March, 8cm x 4cm. I feel they slow rolled getting him in for the biopsy, and just gave him the results on Tuesday. They have not scheduled the dye test to determine treatment options or how aggressive it is. We are told that's the next step. My concern is obvious, and I question the treatment knowledge and facilities in Vermont. That's a big tumor and it has been 6 weeks since finding it, with no treatment or plan. Still testing. He feels fine and can travel, so that is not a factor at this time.

I don't want to slow down treatment by pulling him from the Doctor he is seeing. But, is there ever a good time? He would probably need to redo many tests with a Doctor here, so that has me thinking the sooner the better.

Thanks CR.

Checking with Jess, oncology for 10+ years at Ohio Health and just got a job at James, starts soon.

EDIT: Her NP friend works at James, recommended Otterson, Bertino or Carbone at James.

Jess recommends Dr. George and Dr. Kourlas at Columbus Oncology.

Thanks, Tim.

Aaron, thank you. That sounds like the people I'm hoping to talk to. And referrals are awesome.

They just schedule him for his dye test and it's still 10 days out. My guess is they don't feel he is an urgent patient, so that's the hope.

Just found out The James doesn't take the insurance that the military uses, Tri Care. So, have may need to be treated where he can be covered.

From experience Tricare WILL cover treatment at OSU, but it requires a lot of phone calls and referrals. A LOT of phone calls.

Sorry to hear Joe. Get him to the James!

Just this last year we had family that was basically given less than a year to live from Riverside due to being stage 4 and cancer throughout entire body. It has been 11 months since he started non chemo treatments at the James and is now 100% cancer free.

Joe, I see you got my text. Let me know if you need anything else or additional advice, but your father CAN be seen at OSU if you fight the good fight with Tricare.

My Oncologist at The James is Dr. Aashish Bhatt and I couldn't have asked for a more fantastic doctor.

Not sure if Boston is an option for him, but I could probably reach out on your behalf to some friends who work/have worked at Mass General and Tufts Medical.

EDIT: I also, stupidly, forgot to mention the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. A good friend of mine just lost his wife to cancer at the age of 28. He and his 4 year old son have a hell of a time ahead of them, but she requested that in lieu of flowers or gifts to the family (people had already raised $125k in a fund for their son) that donations be made to Dana Farber for the incredible level of treatment she received despite her 0% chance of survival.

My father was diagnosed with Esophageal cancer in Sept, he did his chemo and radiation treatments through OSU. His surgery was March 17th for them to remove his esophagus and re-positioned his stomach. He's had 2 follow up visits with his Dr and is cancer free.