• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

00c0c_33Kpk5P1yIb_600x450.jpg

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-chevy-celebrity/6619232775.html

Hear me out...

1) Chevrolet Celebrity.

2) 2-Door.

3) Diesel...

3.5) FOUR POINT THREE LITRE DIESEL: https://www.dieselworldmag.com/features/diesel-history-retrospective-the-lt7-front-drive-v-6-oldsmobiles-other-diesel/

4) Not rusted out to absolute shite!

I can tell from the pictures of the interior that a previous owner smoked. A lot. Like, more than the actual car did.

I can tell from the pictures of the interior that a previous owner smoked. A lot. Like, more than the actual car did.

I just got lung cancer from looking at that interior pic. holee shit.

I had a 1985 Buick Century my senior year of college for a few months...I hydrolocked my beloved Suzuki Samurai and needed(wanted) a car so Grandma bought it from someone in her retirement village (this was in 2000) for $750. It only had 39k miles on it but the entire bottom 4" of the car was gone from rust; doors would rattle because the salt had totally eaten the bottoms to the point the exterior door skin wasn't connected to the door frame. Iron Duke 2.5L and 3-speed automatic ran flawlessly. I took it to Richmond, VA and back during a winter Nor'Easter and the snow/slush/ice knocked so much of the bottom that the trans-cooler and brake lines were leaking when I finally made it back home. Too much work to try to save the car. I was lucky nothing ruptured during my 14-hrs of driving. Got it for free from Grandma, gave it free to a fraternity brother who used it as a "barn car" at his family farm, literally driving from his house across a field to their barn and stopped it both ways by throwing it into Park and/or hitting a tree. It held up for a couple YEARS doing this after the brakes let out :lol:

Anywho....I know that picture of the Celebrity's interior: The Buick had so much cigarette tar on the inside of the car that I used 2 bottles of windex and 3 rolls of paper towels to clean every glass/plastic surface, and scrubbed with a bath towel on the green velour interior and carpet just to try to knock down the smoke smell. The windows were tinted brown. The steering wheel was sticky. It looked brand new when I was done but still smelled like smoke and I coudn't use the heater/vent unless I had to because it would reek.

I used to socially smoke...now, it is such a disgusting smell that I couldn't imagine buying a car from a smoker without dunking the whole thing in Febreze, and even then it would be tough. Dirt settles on horizontal surfaces in a car; smoke tar coats the chrome of radio and light/wiper knobs, makes green/blue/gray interior touch surfaces dingy. I would be shocked if that Celebrity didn't smell like an outdoor ashtray when you open the door.

EDIT: Sorry for the rant...but it's a shame when an older car in great shape is seemingly destroyed because of a smoking owner. I'd take chances on a salvage-titled car that was repaired over a good car that had a smoker's history.

Man...one-year-only engines must’ve been expensive to develop and set up...

That just seems so GM-ish. Who had the lack of forethought to either green-light a motor that would only have one model year of application, or green-light a motor NOT realizing in talking with other product folks that its application would get canned a year later?

Here's my brother's Celebrity I was talking about.....

r9HX2Cel.jpg

Excuse the mismatched wheels, it's the only pic I have of the car

Actually I always like the eurosport VR editions. There used to be a red station wagon down the street when i was growing up.

Man...one-year-only engines must’ve been expensive to develop and set up...

That just seems so GM-ish. Who had the lack of forethought to either green-light a motor that would only have one model year of application, or green-light a motor NOT realizing in talking with other product folks that its application would get canned a year later?

Except it's not "really" a 1 year only engine - it's more of a one year only engine designation. Another GM thing is to give "variants" of existing engines their own names like they are "new" designs when in reality they are often little more than cam and intake upgrades. The 1 year only LS2 was literally little more than a cam and some minor tweaks to the LT7 (which itself was actually a significant redesign from the LT6).

Either way, GM lost money on all these engines because they just didn't sell. No turbo meant that the diesel was bog slow, and nobody wanted a 80's GM product that was slower than the 80's GM products that were already out there. What's interesting to me is the cars they put it in - there is a 1984 Chevy G-body Monte Carlo and Elcamino diesel as well as a GMC Caballero Diesel - those have to be rare now.

Here's my brother's Celebrity I was talking about.....

r9HX2Cel.jpg

Excuse the mismatched wheels, it's the only pic I have of the car

FWIW, I always thought the X-11 Celebrity hatchback with the eurosport treatment would have been a hot little hatch. That "stacking boxes" design of 1980's gm sedans and coupes just bugs me.

speaking of Diesels:

https://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/cto/d/91-d150-cummins-swap-short-bed/6624009324.html

00R0R_ivZk0jHqzFs_600x450.jpg

91 d150 short bed that I've done a Cummins 12v swap on! The truck has 240k miles auto trans 100% stock!!!!! I swapped the complete cab and front end from my 91 d250 truck to this d150 . I lowered it and put all new rear brakes and hardware along with new rear shocks!

This looks like fun, and it's strange you don't see a lot of diesel swaps on older dodges like you do with chevys of fords.

also, diesel swapped wagoneer that isn't lifted and crushed like an empty beer can on every panel because..wheelin'...:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-jeep-grand-wagoneer/6614672773.html

...and Diesel swapped Hummer H2 (why didn't GM make these stock again?) with a crackpipe price tag:

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/hummer-h2-diesel/6610583621.html

a freak due to rarity:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/1979-pontiac-grandam-factory/6626396218.html

00N0N_gGSZifvFRUC_600x450.jpg

00D0D_bIfFhT8ZPwy_600x450.jpg

It's a 4sp manual trans G-body, with a V8, not rotted out, and low miles. Can't be more than a couple 100 made at the time, who knows how many left now.

I think the Pontiac specific dash more than makes up for the front end. It's way better looking than the Malibu rectangle speedometer, or the printed dash gauges in a rectangular housing that replaced it.

Plus the pontiac grille looks better blacked out than the silver/argent they are normally painted.

280px-Pontiac_Grand_Am_%28Les_chauds_vendredis_%2710%29.jpg