Diving In Ohio

Limitedslip7

I tried a DSD while on vacation in Roatan last week and then went ahead and got my open water cert. Does anyone on here dive? Are there any cool places around Ohio/Erie or do you just do it on vacation? It's probably going to be at least a year before I get to go anywhere tropical again but I'd like to maybe try it a few times around here before then...

I'm open-water certified, haven't dove in awhile...

That being said, Gilboa Quarry seems to be a big draw. I did my open-water dives at a quarry near Carroll/Lancaster area with a plane and a Frito-Lay truck. It was a neat place to go. Only problem with quarry diving in my book is the water definitely gets chilly since it's spring-fed, and at Lakeview it's pretty silty so once a lot of people are swimming around, the water gets cloudy around some of the underwater features.

Gilboa: http://www.daytrippingwithrick.com/day-tripping-with-rick-gilboa-quarry-ohio/

Lakeview RV Park: http://www.rvatlakeview.com/diving.html

My wife got certified in Routan while in Honduras for a medical-missions trip in high school...

I can't remember if I ever submitted my paperwork, but in my teens I got certified all the way up to Rescue Diver.

I strongly recommend it to anyone. I've been in underwater caves, shipwrecks that have turned into coral reefs, shipwrecks 2 miles out into blue water and 100 feet down, through airplane wrecks (at night, no less), I've seen barracuda bigger longer than I am tall, I've seen fish sleeping.

If you think the underwater universe is exciting from what you see in documentaries, just wait until you're up close with a curious reef shark at 11pm.