"No pull" dog harness?

2 Sweet

I have an 80 lb. Foxhound that gets pretty excited on walks and loves to try and chase squirrels, cats, rabbits, etc. Right now I just have a regular collar with a retractable leash and the damn dog pulls so hard sometimes that he chokes himself. I tried one of those "gentle leader" things that goes around his snout, and it made my dog 100% nonfunctional. He focused all his attention on trying to get the harness off his face instead of actually walking.

I've had a few people tell me to buy a harness that hooks underneath the dog's chest. They all say it'll help quite a bit. I've looked online (mostly amazon) at several harnesses, and read a bunch of reviews, and they all contradict one another. I don't know what to believe. Like anything in life, you have to take reviews with a grain of salt because there's a lot of morons out there.

I trust CR a lot more than random dipshits on amazon, so if anyone on here has a harness they would recommend, I'm all ears :D

nvm, reading owns me

I was going to suggest the gentle leader. Have you tried it for very long? It took my dogs a few weeks of working with them, but now they both walk on them pretty well and I have much more control over them.

We used to have a lab hound mix who could just about snap your shoulder out of it's socket with the long retractable leads. I went with an electronic training collar. It was quite a bit more expensive, but once he learned his limits he was much better for it, and it gave him more freedom at the same time.

I walked him a couple times with a standard leash, and the training collar. I would use standard voice commands and the tone feature of the collar. After a few times I stopped using the leash (we live in the country, no leash laws). I had to zap him a couple times, and a couple more times hard. He learned quickly in a couple days. After that I almost never needed to shock him, the tone was all I ever needed. For the next 10 years we would walk without a leash. He could wander all over the place, and when he started getting out of my sight I could call him back or tone him and he would come straight back. Some people looked at me like I was a monster for using the collar, but once he got used to it (took a week maybe) he enjoyed the extra freedom he got out of the deal.

I was going to suggest the gentle leader. Have you tried it for very long? It took my dogs a few weeks of working with them, but now they both walk on them pretty well and I have much more control over them.

I tried it every day for about two weeks. I figured he would get used to it after a while, but nope. I read some info/tips online and tried everything I could, but my dog is stubborn as hell and refused to get used to it. He absolutely hated it. Honestly, I hated it too. The thing was a PITA to put on.

I have a 71 pound pit mix and as we all know pits love to pull..the only thing I use on her is the harness.

It give you better control and is humane

Get one you and your dog will be glad you did

mace

Yeah I'm pretty much already decided on the harness, I'm just not sure which one to get, there are a ton of options that are all very similar

My first dog was non-functional with the gentle leader as well. What worked was a week of training with little bits of hot dog in my pocket, teaching him to heel.

It takes time but it worked, he wasn't a rockstar at it but he learned that I was in charge and if he started pulling too much I just called his name and he'd come back to me for head rubs. He was a smart dog, I'll miss him.

My current dog is dumb as shit and wouldn't eat a sirloin if I shoved it down her throat if we're outside, because squirrels are outside. She pulls like hell with the harness I got her, but less so than with a regular collar. I can't train her because she won't take treats, I'm honestly considering a choke collar even though I don't like them.

Never had luck with gentle leaders. I've had good luck with a training collar (metal pronged). Collar is meant for training and not to be left on all the time. When the dog pulls give a command to heel and if dog doesn't follow then say no and a quick yank on the collar for it to bite in. Then release. I have a hound mix that will walk without a leash after using this.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/spike-dog-collar-in-silver/3308920?skuId=60220455&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_pet_&product_id=60220455&adpos=1o14&creative=43742657149&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJ6q38Tu9dMCFZOKaQodCIMGyg

A dog should be able to walk on a loose leash without tension on it or the collar. And I'd say 90% of the slip chains and prong collars I see are being used incorrectly.

Erica Noneman. Call her. (419) 305-7277

Having my own little drama queen on a leash has lead me to remind my self that a hound has a very different sense of walking.

We had to switch to a gentle leader for her and it's been night and day - however- we work with her on training g almost every day and are almost back to a loose leash walking.

My street is only my 5 houses long and there are days we never even leave the street.

We walk with a short leash and her at my side. As soon as she starts ignoring my corrections I just abruptly turn and walk the other direction. She has started checking in with my visually, and loose leash walking. It's still a battle some days as she's a stubborn fox hound as well.

Every day we train.

Every single day.

This is the farthest i allow her in front of me before I turn the other way.

2d4c566f84dcff4b68a12bad61971044.jpg

57055c395e940460584e2c842d6c084e.jpg

Retractable leases are unsafe peices of crap.

Please get a real leash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have the spike (pinch) collar and that seems to work... it doesn't stab them, it pinches them. I don't really know how else to explain what it does. It's the only thing we've found that works.

Had a Newfoundland and the only thing that worked for me was a spike collar. Once she got used to it she stopped pulling. So if someone wants to bust my arse go ahead. It works..

^^ this. we have used the spiked training collars with great success before. Our current Pit Mix is pretty thick and 100% focused on other dogs and hates them so walking him can be tough. However, with the pinch collar on he's a pussy. Crys and barks but one flinch of it and he's a baby doll.

It really only took 1-2 walks to train him to respond to it. He knows when it's on to heal, mind our commands, etc. It's worked on all of our dogs. The shock collars are effective too but not as much it seams.

Off Topic a bit, my wife bought a can of compressed air that is very small (made for dog training) but lets out a huge HISS when pressed. Freaked our guys out 200% and now when they bark in the house, go nuts over guests, etc. if they even see that can they shut the heck up and behave. There too, it took maybe 1-2 sprays and that noise is something they've not forgotten. Now I just give them shush of my own and they settle quickly.

Harnesses reinforce rather than dissuade the dog's instinct to chase after everything that moves. spike or choke collars very quickly and humanely (if used properly) train the dog that not chasing or pulling is in their best interest.

We have an italian greyhound that can and will chase anything off leash. when he's on the leash, he stays within 5 feet of us on a solid leather leash (retractable ones are junk).

Imagine you're wearing a vest with a cable tied to the back, and there's a pile of a million dollars just out of reach. you're going to do absolutely everything in your power to break through that thing, and you're going to keep pulling until you're dead or dragged away from that pile of a million dollars. now put your fingers just below your ears and slightly behind your jawbone and apply pressure. feel how uncomfortable that is? if every time you pulled towards that pile of money, you felt something applying increasing pressure to that area, how long would it take you to stop pulling and fighting to get to that pile of money? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? try it. apply increasing pressure to that area for 10 seconds and see if you can stand it.

That's what a choke collar does. It's not torturing the dog, it's training it proper behavior. it teaches it that no matter how much it desires what is in front of it, it's better off just letting it go while he's on the leash. The harness just trains the dog to resist your commands, to fight you, and to prioritize its own desires over yours.

1.) Dogs get equipment smart. A lot of dogs I see that haven't been properly trained since puppyhood learn very quickly that they only have to listen when a certain piece of equipment is put on. "I have to mind when the leash is on, but when the leash isn;t there, I can do wtf I want." You can get around this, but it takes consistency and work.

2.) Most equipment I see on dogs is being used incorrectly, whether its prong collars, slip chains, e-collars, etc.

Harnesses reinforce rather than dissuade the dog's instinct to chase after everything that moves. spike or choke collars very quickly and humanely (if used properly) train the dog that not chasing or pulling is in their best interest.

We have an italian greyhound that can and will chase anything off leash. when he's on the leash, he stays within 5 feet of us on a solid leather leash (retractable ones are junk).

Imagine you're wearing a vest with a cable tied to the back, and there's a pile of a million dollars just out of reach. you're going to do absolutely everything in your power to break through that thing, and you're going to keep pulling until you're dead or dragged away from that pile of a million dollars. now put your fingers just below your ears and slightly behind your jawbone and apply pressure. feel how uncomfortable that is? if every time you pulled towards that pile of money, you felt something applying increasing pressure to that area, how long would it take you to stop pulling and fighting to get to that pile of money? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? try it. apply increasing pressure to that area for 10 seconds and see if you can stand it.

That's what a choke collar does. It's not torturing the dog, it's training it proper behavior. it teaches it that no matter how much it desires what is in front of it, it's better off just letting it go while he's on the leash. The harness just trains the dog to resist your commands, to fight you, and to prioritize its own desires over yours.

I'm not interested in a harness that hooks to the back

1.) Dogs get equipment smart. A lot of dogs I see that haven't been properly trained since puppyhood learn very quickly that they only have to listen when a certain piece of equipment is put on. "I have to mind when the leash is on, but when the leash isn;t there, I can do wtf I want." You can get around this, but it takes consistency and work.

2.) Most equipment I see on dogs is being used incorrectly, whether its prong collars, slip chains, e-collars, etc.

Exactly.

training is EVERY DAY. All walks for us are a training exercise. We practice sitting politely while others walk by especially those with dogs, We practice focusing on me, Some days the walks are 3 miles, some days they are up and down my street, but they are always about 30-40 minutes.

The Gentle Leader on Betty allowed us to actually work with her on walks, but I have zero plans to make it a long-term training tool.

I was spoiled with my three other dogs being so good on leashes.

There are classes on Loose Leash walking at PosiDogs iirc. You may want to look into them. They are good way to bond with your dog and are pretty fun.

"Walking nicely on a leash is baby steps. You can't build Rome in a day." Ummm, no, but most dogs should be able to walk on a leash without pulling in a day. There are always exceptions but this guy seems to be taking something that can be done in a couple hours and making it a long process.

I am trying to think of a dog I trained in the past that took longer than a few hours tops to learn how to properly walk on a loose leash and am coming up blank.

Obviously changing environments and distractions up will change the dynamics, but it just seems like this guy takes the scenic route so to speak as opposed to just getting there and moving on to other important things.

"Walking nicely on a leash is baby steps. You can't build Rome in a day." Ummm, no, but most dogs should be able to walk on a leash without pulling in a day. There are always exceptions but this guy seems to be taking something that can be done in a couple hours and making it a long process.

I am trying to think of a dog I trained in the past that took longer than a few hours tops to learn how to properly walk on a loose leash and am coming up blank.

Obviously changing environments and distractions up will change the dynamics, but it just seems like this guy takes the scenic route so to speak as opposed to just getting there and moving on to other important things.

Like i said, he's very froufrou about it.. but I believe that training isn't something that once you learn it, you never have to work on it again. Betty will always be a work in progress with leashes. She just lets that little hound mind take over and wants to forget everything we work on.

Beatrice on the other hand. I dont even have to hold her leash. She stays perfectly at my side, constantly visually checking in, sitting when i stop.

Betty has been a challenge.

Like i said, he's very froufrou about it.. but I believe that training isn't something that once you learn it, you never have to work on it again. Betty will always be a work in progress with leashes. She just lets that little hound mind take over and wants to forget everything we work on.

Beatrice on the other hand. I dont even have to hold her leash. She stays perfectly at my side, constantly visually checking in, sitting when i stop.

Betty has been a challenge.

There is a lot of truth to that. Of the dogs that I have personally owned, only one didn't require too much maintenance, and that's because I had him since he was a pup. The expectations we instilled in him since the beginning so he never really had too many opportunities to get accustom to bad behavior and thus learning he could get away with it.

I still remember some of my first walks with him. Of course there was the usual biting on the leash, pulling, walking all over any which way with no mind to me, my position, or my expectations. Through clear direction and consistency, he learned really quickly though so we were able to nip a lot of issues before they actually became issues.

With the dogs I received outside of puppyhood, it's more of a challenge and requires more upkeep. It doesn't really bother me because as with my children, it's just a part of life. Every moment is a teaching moment whether you realize it or not.

I have a 65lb pitbull who loves to pull. Got her a harness and never looked back.

I can even guide her while walking her now. A little tug on the leash to the right she'll go to the right and little tug to the left she'll go left. Tug backwards she stops. She NEVER did this while on a leash and collar.

She is like your dog sees other 4 legged animals and goes after them. I can restrain her to a standstill while in the harness with no choking.

I use this style harness

https://www.amazon.com/BINGPET-Harness-Reflective-Freedom-Walking/dp/B01G8A84VW/ref=pd_sbs_199_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01G8A84VW&pd_rd_r=CGYYGFPPCKH4864NN33W&pd_rd_w=iBuuh&pd_rd_wg=UnTz0&psc=1&refRID=CGYYGFPPCKH4864NN33W

It pulls on her chest instead of her neck.