Help: Fun car Shopping

Miller

Unless Chris has managed to not work for 30 min before and after each session, a rotary would be a hard recommendation, no?

Yeah, it's a little finiky but that same basic drive train has been in place for 8 years (over 2 cars now) and continues to take the abuse...it's just high touch between sessions. He went low 1:35's last weekend at Mid Ohio in a car he put together for $20-25k.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, it's a little finiky but that same basic drive train has been in place for 8 years (over 2 cars now) and continues to take the abuse...it's just high touch between sessions. He went low 1:35's last weekend at Mid Ohio in a car he put together for $20-25k.

Yeah, I get that, and his dedication to the car is awesome. Is that a new record for him? That's moving for sure. You guys are fun to watch on track together. Hope to continue my learning on his watch in July.

what's your honest skill level at the track. You trust yourself to make mistakes that happen as you learn in an $80k car?

Current budget go C5Z or E46 M3. Pick your poison the leather jacket and chain or the prick. I did most of my driving progression in an E46 M3 and it's honestly the perfect car to learn in as you can do some pretty stupid stuff and get away with it and it's extremely easy to go fast in that car.

What were your times in the m3? What tires, mods, etc?

Unless Chris has managed to not work for 30 min before and after each session, a rotary would be a hard recommendation, no?

LOL. I got the time to empty the catch can down this year! In all honesty the FD is an AMAZING car on the track but certainly takes some dedication to track and deal with the maintenance. But when the shit works...better than 99% of the shit out there. I'd show you in July, but there's no way you're fitting in there. Also....not fuel efficient! I used about 76 gallons of gas last weekend!

Miller I vote e46 M3. Great car to learn in. Has motor compared to the 944 but Not too much that it's intimidating. Amazing chassis, good brakes, tons of support, and reasonable running costs. Just make sure you buy one well kept and hopefully with some track prep done.

what's your honest skill level at the track. You trust yourself to make mistakes that happen as you learn in an $80k car?

I'm not quite sure how to answer that. I hit my lines, I'm comfortable in traffic. I'm still in "learning mode" and am working toward my comp license this year. I think my annual review would read "performing as expected".

I took the Viper out to Mid Ohio for the April Shawshank weekend. It was 40 degrees and damp and I was running 1:50x. The only benchmark I can find is a bolt on car with Hoosier slicks and a pro driver ran 1:37-1:38 at SCCA runoffs, with ideal conditions.

The faster guys with 944 SPEC go 1:42-1:45. I intend to find out in June where I land with that.

Edited by Miller

Aaron, look forward to you providing a list of all the times you walked me, which, certainly, was because I was driving a manual.

What Aaron and I are picturing. Drag "racing" LOL, roll "racing" LOL, you pretending to know what you're talkibg about LOL.

stock-photo-a-young-teen-volunteer-keeping-an-elderly-man-secure-as-he-ambulates-with-his-walker-on-a-white-109906541.jpg

LOL. I got the time to empty the catch can down this year! In all honesty the FD is an AMAZING car on the track but certainly takes some dedication to track and deal with the maintenance. But when the shit works...better than 99% of the shit out there. I'd show you in July, but there's no way you're fitting in there. Also....not fuel efficient! I used about 76 gallons of gas last weekend!

Miller I vote e46 M3. Great car to learn in. Has motor compared to the 944 but Not too much that it's intimidating. Amazing chassis, good brakes, tons of support, and reasonable running costs. Just make sure you buy one well kept and hopefully with some track prep done.

I wasn't hating, love your dedication to that car/platform. Absolutely no chance of me getting in yours though, tried in schmelmers a long time ago lol, wasn't pretty.

Looking forward to Audi club!

This is a hell of a lot of car to get for under $30k...

Track-prepped E36 like Kale's (that sold within a couple of days) would be a good 944 replacement, but I also wonder why you'd finally sort out a caged car and then want out of it for another platform...

Porsche 911

Corvette Z06

^^^Definitely my two favs for do-everything street-track killers within your budget(ish).

Zack, do you drive down McKinley in the morning? Like over by Grandview Ave and COTA? I think I passed you on my way to work lol. If so, the Viper sounded sick!

Not me man. I'm East side and I work downtown.

Black GTS with silver stripes right? Must be another one running around Columbus then

He's been mistaken as me a few times actually. My car is black with white and gay-green stripes.

http://i.imgur.com/CpKzHeD.jpg

What's the current car, and what's considered "fast"?

It's going to be hard to beat a vette.....

This already has a built motor, they might come down a few bucks. Find a used blower kit..

http://www.wirewheel.com/2005-Lotus-Elise-SCCA-T3-Race-Car-for-sale.html

Cheap to keep these going, unless you crash

did most of my driving progression in an E46 M3 and it's honestly the perfect car to learn in as you can do some pretty stupid stuff and get away with it and it's extremely easy to go fast in that car.

Ooo sure miss that sexy car.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=522