Let's talk Marketing, what works what doesn't?

99StockGT

This may seem pretty basic, but for the automotive repair industry it seems to work. If you decide to put out flyers in people's mailings, advertise a service at a hefty discount (oil change, alignment, ect). You will lose money on the initial service, but it gives you the chance to upsell, or with the quality work, create a returning customer.

This may seem pretty basic, but for the automotive repair industry it seems to work. If you decide to put out flyers in people's mailings, advertise a service at a hefty discount (oil change, alignment, ect). You will lose money on the initial service, but it gives you the chance to upsell, or with the quality work, create a returning customer.

Ohhh the slippery slope. So a couple things.

1) Loss leaders are a pretty common business practice, give a basic service away at an irresistible rate then once we have you in our clutches turn up the heat to get add-ons. Now while this DOES work, it's also a portion of why our industry largely has a terrible reputation. Do we send out coupons? Yes we do, usually good for $5 off of a standard or synthetic oil change. We aren't the kind of place you for for a $14.99 oil change special, nor do we want to be. And this leads to my second point...

2) Cheap services usually lead to cheap customers. More often than not the people who go after the fantastically cheap oil change and alignment deals are those who are very seldom interested in maintenance. Customers who are always after the lowest possible price no matter the quality of part or work... well that's just not our kind of customer. Not saying we aren't going to do our best to keep costs down, and get a job done as quickly and cheaply as possible, but our number one goal is a quality repair done right and a satisfied safe customer. Those two views, are often mutually exclusive.

Now, an exception to this is what we did for the CR crowd on our Crazy Alignment deal. CR, at least in my mind, represent people who are automotive enthusiast that value their rides above it just being a piece of transportation. When a car/truck is just a tool you are more likely to just use it and toss it, replace it if it starts complaining. If a car/truck is passion/experience/obsession/whatever it's more likely you will maintain or pay to maintain that vehicle.

I get what you are saying, and I thought about that a little when I originally responded. Yes, you will get the cheap bastards in that want nothing but the cheap service, but being more towards the Dublin area (from what I can gather), you likely won't attract too many bottom feeders like you would in the city. Also, maybe just do a special that includes a free inspection with certain services and no pressure to fix anything when you present the results of the inspection (people would likely feel more comfortable coming back if they feel you are being honest and not pressuring them). Basically, something to attract people and just do the quality service that you normally would to bring them back.

Well, I know it works for a lot of the bigger chain stores, just thought I would put it out there. The only other advise is join a group on facebook called The Wrenching Network and ask this question there. There are quite a few shop owners there that may be able to give you some good advise.

No better way to turn away a customer for good than by writing them a $2,000 estimate their first time in the shop for a $25 LOF

Exactly. Most people who are "searching for a shop" have usually been burned by at least one before. Unfortunately the mentality of most in our industry, and indeed in many other industries, is take every dollar every chance you get. That's not how we like to operate.

Now, if any car comes in for a $25 LOF and actually NEEDS $2,000 worth of work we definitely feel its our duty to inform the customer and have a conversation. But that should be an educational and relationship building time not a Rape on the First Date.

Facebook IS pretty decent for networking with other owners, myself and Rich are both active in several car groups, shop owner, and marketing groups. The vast majority of people who are successful tend to rely on oil change specials and boards outside their shop as well as location on a major road. OR, are part of a franchised major chain shop.

Now, if any car comes in for a $25 LOF and actually NEEDS $2,000 worth of work we definitely feel its our duty to inform the customer and have a conversation. But that should be an educational and relationship building time not a Rape on the First Date.

This is what I was trying to get at. I wasn't implying that you should bring in new customers to milk them, more just to show that you can be an honest shop, something people think doesn't exist anymore. I guess what I was trying to say was a little lost through the keyboard.

I get what you are saying, and we DO try to make sure every customer we touch has that feeling when they are here and when they leave. I guess it would be an interesting study, see if we knocked out 5 of those a day for a month, how it would effect our bottom line and quality of business.