2017 College Football Thread

o0n8

Not sure what happened to the old one but kick off in Bloomington is only 2 weeks away!

With all the political differences I figured this forum could use a thread with 3 things we all can pretty much agree on.

1.) Lauren is an SEC fan boy

2.) *ichigan sucks donkey balls

3.) Go Bucks!

and discuss

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pumped! Not sure what to expect this year other than we should be really fucking good. I know we're going to need to WRs to step up in order to be a real national championship threat. I'm excited though to see how much better our offense runs now that we've got a real offensive genius at the helm. Our defense should be pretty scary, we probably have the best front 4 in the country and our depth there is crazy. I'm hoping JT makes strides this year with a likely very different game plan, one that will hopefully suit him better than last year. Bloomington will be a solid first test before Oklahoma. I'm slightly worried only because we tend to really come out slow the 1st game of the year for whatever reason and Indiana is a team that has played us tough over the years, but almost all of that can be credited to Kevin Wilson who we have running our offense now.

In the B1G I think the East will again be stacked. If MSU pulls their heads out of their ass they could make things even more interesting. Penn State is expected to be just as good or better this year. Michigan is kind of a toss up as people aren't really sure what to expect. Out west I think it's Wisconsin's to lose.

Nationally, Alabama will be great like usual. I'm interested to see how Clemson does this year coming off a NC win and losing a lot of key guys. This will really put Dabo to the test. USC is going to be scary. We'll get a good guage on FSU early when they play Bama.

Some of the exciting early matchups as there are a lot this year.

Week 1:

Maryland @ Texas - Although Maryland isn't great, they are a pretty solid team and going in the right direction. It won't be an easy first test for Texas and Tom Herman.

Michigan vs. Florida - Neutral field top 15 matchup with 2 teams who have playoff aspirations. The loser won't necessarily be eliminated but they'll likely have to play perfect the rest of the year to get in.

Florida State vs. Alabama - Top 5 juggernaut matchup. Definitely the game of the week here. I expect a great game but wouldn't be shocked if Alabama wins by 3+ TDs. They seem to always preform well in the early non-conference matchups.

BYU vs. LSU - A lot of people are high on LSU this year. I'm not so sure I am but with a convincing win against a scrappy BYU team on a neutral field they might change my mind.

VT vs. WVU - Top 25 matchup. Won't get a ton of interest but will probably be good game.

Week 2:

Pitt @ PSU - Great rivalry game that always seems to be close no matter how much better one team is than the other. Will PSU get revenge on last years disappointing loss? Penn State has playoff expectations now and are no longer hiding in the shadows. How will they respond this year when teams are gunning for them?

Nebraska @ Oregon - Two big names. The game likely won't mean much in the long run but it will still probably be a good game just like last year.

Auburn @ Clemson - Top 15 matchup. A lot of people curious if Clemson will have a hangover or not, this game will show us. Everyone seems to be high on Auburn this year, this game will prove if they are a real threat in the SEC.

Georgia @ ND - Not sure what to expect here. Two teams that consistently under-preform will likely be a meaningless game when it's all said and done, but who knows?

Oklahoma @ OSU - Game of the week. Top 10 matchup and both teams have playoff expectations. Will Oklahoma come into the shoe ready to get revenge? Or will Urban and the Bucks stomp their throat like last year?

Stanford @ USC - Top 15 matchup. This will show is USC is the real deal. Winner of this game will have a pretty clear path to winning the Pac 12.

Week 3:

Clemson @ Louisville - Lamar Jackson vs. the defending champs. Enough said.

Tennessee @ Florida - Winner of this one will gain immediate control of the SEC Easy/t. I think Tennessee could surprise people this year.

Miami @ FSU - High expectations for the U this year. 2nd year under Richt. If FSU loses to Alabama then this game becomes an elimination game for them. Miami won't be an easy test for them as they have playoff hopes themselves.

Texas @ USC - How much of an immediate impact can Tom Herman make? Well we will know after the first 3 weeks. USC could put themselves in the drivers seat of a playoff bid with a win here assuming they come into this game unbeaten.

Anyone know a reliable source for watching games this year? I ditched my DirecTV back in April, and the only thing I will miss is watching college games.

I've got Kodi; any reliable way to stream them? Or, is there any streaming service I could subscribe to for just games? I'd be willing to pay for that.

If Florida can finally have a QB step up, don't sleep on them this year

It must suck to be a fan of a team where you have to use the term, "don't sleep on them this year" on the regular. :gabe:

It's crazy to think it's right around the corner. I love college football. Just sucks that I didn't get tickets this year.....yet ;)

Had a chance at tix from a close friend for a few games already. Turned them down. Not big games and dad is retired finally (use to work most weekends) so I'm gonna watch from the comfort of his new couch, large living rooms, and giant HD TV. :lol:

Anyone know a reliable source for watching games this year? I ditched my DirecTV back in April, and the only thing I will miss is watching college games.

I've got Kodi; any reliable way to stream them? Or, is there any streaming service I could subscribe to for just games? I'd be willing to pay for that.

Google "first row sports". Use a good ad blocker. Literally the only way I've watched any sporting event from home the last 5-6 years.

It must suck to be a fan of a team where you have to use the term, "don't sleep on them this year" on the regular. :gabe:

With good QB play, they will surprise a lot of people. That's all they really need. The only decent QB they have had since Tebow graduated was half a season from Will Grier, who got suspended for roids and transferred. At this point I almost forget what it feels like to have a competent offense

Google "first row sports". Use a good ad blocker. Literally the only way I've watched any sporting event from home the last 5-6 years.

Ad blocker? What device do you stream it on?

Roll tide

Anyone see all the articles that the B1G is the most over rated conference. Perhaps if the B1G makes it to the playoffs again this year they could score a point

It's hard not to be when they rank 3 teams in the same division in the top 10 and ahead of any team from the other division in the conference. That just doesn't make sense to me.

But Auburn and LSU in the top 15 don't make sense to me either

After OSU's performance last year, I'm hoping they don't make it near the Playoffs. I love them, but I want them to really have their shit together so we don't have an embarrassment like last time.

That's a poor view to have. Last year they weren't even supposed to get there because of how much talent they lost to the draft and replaced with a lot of guys who had never played in a meaningful game. Just reaching the playoffs last year proved how much talent we had, the difference was an extremely talented team with a ton of leaders and experienced players (Clemson) vs a team of young guys who have tons of talent but no real experience (OSU). Coaching had a lot to do with it too.

You should always want OSU to make it. That's like not wanting a big time job opportunity because you're afraid you'll fail.

That's a poor view to have. Last year they weren't even supposed to get there because of how much talent they lost to the draft and replaced with a lot of guys who had never played in a meaningful game. Just reaching the playoffs last year proved how much talent we had, the difference was an extremely talented team with a ton of leaders and experienced players (Clemson) vs a team of young guys who have tons of talent but no real experience (OSU). Coaching had a lot to do with it too.

You should always want OSU to make it. That's like not wanting a big time job opportunity because you're afraid you'll fail.

I can accept that.

Edited by RedRocket

Exactly- after the 2015 season, everyone said 2016 was a reload year and that we'd finish top 10, but 95% of people didn't think we'd make the playoffs. We did, and guess what? We weren't ready, plain and simple. It's funny because everyone said 2016 would be a wash but 2017 we'd be insane, and that appears to be shaping up to be exactly correct.

I. Can't. Fucking. Wait. For. Football.

The fact that he jumped McCall on the depth chart is bonkers to me. McCall looked REALLY good when he was on the field last year.

McCall will be like a Dontre Wilson type of guy I think. He will come in for sweeps and short dump offs with his quickness and ability to make guys miss in the open field.

I just want to say that, as a not-big-into-sports guy (no ESPN or sports radio), this thread helps me stay up on what's going on during the college football season.

Thank you, gentlemen...and carry on.

;)

McCall will be like a Dontre Wilson type of guy I think. He will come in for sweeps and short dump offs with his quickness and ability to make guys miss in the open field.

+1 I remember McCall being on the smaller side and Dobbins being bigger.

I'm excited to see what receivers step up this year