2017 College Football Thread

o0n8

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody watch the bama Game last night. Total domination yet again. This team is scary on offense now that we have a legit passing game and we have a 6 running back set that just chews up the field. The defense is playing lights out as well.

Georgia is also looking legit.

I would say bama clemson Oklahoma Georgia and Penn St are the best teams in football by a long shot.

Oh and can we stop with the xyz team is a playoff contender because they knocked off one team. Washington st isn't a playoff contender just because they knocked off USC. USC was over valued from preseason and got exposed.

Now I can agree with you that USC was overrated.

Now I can agree with you that USC was overrated.

Called that preseason too.

It's been a weird season already really. I was always worried about PSU and that is panning out. Had a gut instinct on USC. I also think 'Bama will have a rude awakening but it'll be post season again since they play literally nobody throughout the entire season. The SEC is garbage once again and the out of conf schedule? :lolguy:

I wouldn't call Georgia garbage. They could beat any big ten team. Auburn isn't garbage and their one quality loss was to Clemson. By default they should be ranked higher then Ohio st. Their offense sputtered a bit but they are during on all cylinders now. Their defense has always been legit. They held Clemson to two scores. Not to shabby.

After auburn and Georgia it gets thin. I would say every conference has 3 top teams and the rest are all belk bowl quality.

I wouldn't call Georgia garbage. They could beat any big ten team.

:lol: You always say this about any given SEC team every year.

Auburn isn't garbage and their one quality loss was to Clemson. By default they should be ranked higher then Ohio st. Their offense sputtered a bit but they are during on all cylinders now. Their defense has always been legit. They held Clemson to two scores. Not to shabby.

Who was it that said something a page or two ago about using the "quality loss excuse"? I don't remember...

After auburn and Georgia it gets thin. I would say every conference has 3 top teams and the rest are all belk bowl quality.

I agree, but if Auburn and Georgia are "Top 3" your conference isn't "elite". I don't see either of them finishing with less than 2 losses, winning their conf, or getting into the big show so it's a moo point.

I still hold to my own that Alabama has the weakest schedule in the top 10 or so teams. Not one ranked opponent is there?

I like being a Bama hater, mainly because the fed will investigate them like Rick Pitino soon enough...But until that time, they are the best team.

Quality opponents or not, they have taken care of their business. The look the part thus far and there is no reason to discredit them to this point.

I am a die hard buckeye fan, but until there is MUCH more progress in our secondary and passing game, it would not be a game versus bama. Baylor put up almost 40 or what ever on OU, we couldn't make a pass completion for 20 yards at home... Tied 13 all at the half vs IU, PSU thumped them from the start. I know the age old; each game is a unique event not a direct correlation, but lets be honest, the eye test vs quality opponents has Bama top two. I would put Clemson number one and Bama two at this point.

As for the conferences, the BIG is well rounded, and likely have the fourth best team between PSU, MI, WI, OSU. But right now its Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma in clear order, with the first two a fair amount ahead of the pack.

I really do wish they would make the switch to Haskins right now. JT can get us through the season but he is nowhere near dynamic enough to get us through the playoffs. Haskins has the arm talent to do it - we should take the lumps now and work the kinks out. Did you guys see him rifle that out pass and follow it with the touch pass over the top to McCall?

I like being a Bama hater, mainly because the fed will investigate them like Rick Pitino soon enough...But until that time, they are the best team.

Quality opponents or not, they have taken care of their business. The look the part thus far and there is no reason to discredit them to this point.

I am a die hard buckeye fan, but until there is MUCH more progress in our secondary and passing game, it would not be a game versus bama. Baylor put up almost 40 or what ever on OU, we couldn't make a pass completion for 20 yards at home... Tied 13 all at the half vs IU, PSU thumped them from the start. I know the age old; each game is a unique event not a direct correlation, but lets be honest, the eye test vs quality opponents has Bama top two. I would put Clemson number one and Bama two at this point.

As for the conferences, the BIG is well rounded, and likely have the fourth best team between PSU, MI, WI, OSU. But right now its Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma in clear order, with the first two a fair amount ahead of the pack.

Could not agree more...

I wouldn't call Georgia garbage. They could beat any big ten team.

Based on what? I agree UGA is very solid, but why do you think they could automatically beat any B1G team? Has Georgia not shown over the past 10 years that they make everyone think they're good only to lose 2-3 games throughout a season.

The SEC is way down this year. Alabama is a great team, Georgia is a very good team, Auburn is a good team then it pretty much turns to shit. I mean LSU who was a pre-season top 12 team lost to fucking Troy. That just shows how much bias the SEC gets every year.

I'm fucking scared of Penn St. I hate to say it but Barclay COULD beat us by himself. I thought our offense showed flashes of being great Saturday but it was against Rutgers. If we can do that the next 2 weeks against better opponents then I will think we've got a real shot at getting past PSU. Until our offense proves we can score and move the ball consistently on a quality defense, it will be hard for me to think otherwise.

I'm fucking scared of Penn St. I hate to say it but Barclay COULD beat us by himself. I thought our offense showed flashes of being great Saturday but it was against Rutgers. If we can do that the next 2 weeks against better opponents then I will think we've got a real shot at getting past PSU. Until our offense proves we can score and move the ball consistently on a quality defense, it will be hard for me to think otherwise.

OSU's offense has actually shown growth, not just running the same exact plays and steamrolling lesser competition like last year when they proclaimed the offense "fixed". I think Wilson is finally getting comfortable calling plays with the players he has on the field.

I 100% agree with 98.4% of this actually.

I really do wish they would make the switch to Haskins right now. JT can get us through the season but he is nowhere near dynamic enough to get us through the playoffs. Haskins has the arm talent to do it - we should take the lumps now and work the kinks out. Did you guys see him rifle that out pass and follow it with the touch pass over the top to McCall?

I 100% agree with 99.2% of this.

All I'm saying about the 'Bama schedule is when the shoe was on the other foot everyone gasped when tOSU made the first ever playoffs because of their schedule...then they stomped 'Bama. 'Bama IS good, I can admit that, but their schedule is laughable. I think they'll get into the playoffs undefeated but also untested and arrogant like that first year and get walloped by a Clemson or OK. Could be wrong. Time will tell.

targeting call against OSU is the worst call ever

I agree. You want to give them 15 yard penalty so be it. Being ejected from the game is ridiculous. Same with the Bosa Targeting few years ago. There needs to be to levels of this.

15 yards (incidental)

15 yards + ejection (for obvious Targeting)

Oklahoma Losing really hurt the buckeyes honestly.

Doesnt matter at all. If we win out we are in. If we lose again (anywhere) we won't be in thats pretty much all it comes down too.

EDIT:

Think about it...

We beat Penn State, Michigan, win the conference championship. How could we not be in? Doesn't matter what Oklahoma does or doesn't do.

Maybe

They would never leave OSU out as a Big Ten Champion out of the playoffs after beating multiple other higher ranking opponents along the way too... Even with one loss to ANOTHER high ranking opponent.