WWCRD? DD - 140 mi commute

adamgh81

BLUF: I’m in the market for a new/used daily driver under $25k. I’m focused on a sedan, good gas mileage with good reliability, but hopefully not a total bore to drive. Kid seat will be in the back, so 4 doors for convenience.

Old DD: My 2003 Trailblazer has 229k miles and a major power steering leak in the lines, $1000 fix and I’m afraid more major fixes will be down the line. It has good tires (half life left), brand new brake pads, fresh oil. I complete most of the minor maintenance, but have heard these PS lines are a pain and big project (and I don’t have the time or patience anymore). I loved that I could have a kid seat in the back and still have room for my road bike inside, but I hated the 17-18 mpg. I'll still have my toy, 99 Camaro SS.

I drive approx. 30-35k miles per year and should probably just get a Prius. I hate the “should” answer, so WWCRD?

Other’s I’ve been interested in:

09+ Acura TL/TLX V6 (mpg 20/34 dep on yr/drivetrain)

14+ Impala V6 (mpg 19/29)

15+ Charger V6 (mpg 19/31)

Also thought about a GM 3800 series beater (mpg 19/28)

A friend told me I should look at a CR-V…(mpg 22/30)

If I go down to a 4 cyl, I figure I may as well just get a Prius…flame away if you think otherwise. TIA.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a nicer Prius the Lexus ct200h is also a solid option
Hate to say i agree but they are ending production this year due ro slow sales so deals are to be had.

They handle great, dont look bad...kinda like a Speed 3 IMO and have a nice sound system to keep you entertained.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Civic/Accord/Pilot

Basically any Honda sounds like it fits the bill.

+1

I've been really happy with my 17 Civic. I have a sport hatchback, but really any EX or better civic with the the 1.5T has at least some balls. They're under- rated @ 180hp but consistently dyno @ that number to the wheels. Mine with a 6 speed gives me between 38 and 42mpg driving to Toledo and back. The sport trim has noticeably quicker steering too if you're into that.

Should be able to find an infiniti Q50 in that price range. 3.7L V6 326HP AWD. I commute 80 miles a day, I have averaged 27 mpg. It handles nicely, accelerates well and doesn't attract a lot of attention in traffic. Any options you would want and a decent interior. It comes in a hybrid, too. Slightly better fuel economy, but better performance.

Volt

Diesel CruZe

E320 Cdi or bluetec

Ml320 Cdi

335d

Or find a new 2015 tdi VW. 5k off msrp, or 8500 if you lease. If you have the cash lease, and pay it off instantly. They have a 162k mile warranty for anything fuel or exhaust related also

I wasn't a fan of my '16 Impala on road trips. The V6 has plenty of power, but the seat is built to make you lean left. I like to lean right and rest my arm, you know, on the arm rest, and some weird metal hump in the seat would push against my ass. Also, the car wasn't Droid-friendly.. So, if you have an iPhone and like to lean left while driving, it's an okay car. Back seat room was abnormally high, so kid seats aren't an issue. Averaged over 20 mpgs and I drive like an asshole.

Had a 4cyl Cherokee or Compass (don't really care to recall) rental in Philly a couple months ago. It was okay, minus the fucking shifter. In D, at the bottom, it has manual shifting if you bump it left or right into a + or -. If you fucking breathe on the thing, congratulations you're stuck in some gear until you push it up into 3, then back down into D. You won't even notice unless you have one eye on the gauge cluster showing you're in Manual mode.

Obvious conclusion is that a lot of cars seem okay on paper with their mpg's etc, but you gotta test drive them.

If i had to drive 140 miles a day... I would move, or get a different job before i drove a prius

lol ya also this

I do 150 miles per day unless I work from home.

I run my v6 camry XLE and average 26-28mpg all year. 228k and almost all original sans recommended parts.

I suggest a XSE camry if you choose Toyota.

A couple years ago I had a Camry rental in Utah for a week and it was fucking abysmal. The steering wheel had ZERO feedback, so it was like racing a broken video game at the arcade. I'd look out the windows at mountains and suddenly be in the other lane without knowing. Fuck those cars.

Whatever the Cadillac version of the volt is - the elr I think, et that. Why? Two door coupe prettier than a more door volt, plus Cadillac plush interior. They are bargains right now, going for the same money as well optioned used volt.

Obvious conclusion is that a lot of cars seem okay on paper with their mpg's etc, but you gotta test drive them.

QFT.

May get some ideas but everyone's opinion is going to be different. Take your short list and go drive some.

A couple years ago I had a Camry rental in Utah for a week and it was fucking abysmal. The steering wheel had ZERO feedback, so it was like racing a broken video game at the arcade. I'd look out the windows at mountains and suddenly be in the other lane without knowing. Fuck those cars.

A beat dick rental car? Odd.

Although I did have a similar experience years ago so I can say I believe it. Except not with a Camry. It was a Chevy. Still super weird though. Chevy's are def the best and rental cars never have anything wrong. :gabe:

Whatever the Cadillac version of the volt is - the elr I think, et that. Why? Two door coupe prettier than a more door volt, plus Cadillac plush interior. They are bargains right now, going for the same money as well optioned used volt.

I agree. Get the $65k 2 door when you specifically mentioned a budget of $25k and the need for a four door due to having a child. Plus the 37 mile all electric range is great when you only have to go 140.

But this is a GREAT suggesting. Fits the bill PERFECTLY.