WWCRD? DD - 140 mi commute

adamgh81

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BLUF: I’m in the market for a new/used daily driver under $25k. I’m focused on a sedan, good gas mileage with good reliability, but hopefully not a total bore to drive. Kid seat will be in the back, so 4 doors for convenience.

Okay, this is a bit above your budget, but it hits a lot of your requirements and may be justifiable as something you keep around. It should still be under warranty, is adequately luxurious, but MPG does suffer a bit from that 420hp V8 :)

http://www.ricart.com/certified/Hyundai/2015-Hyundai-Genesis-10ccf5a30a0e0ae85b8927d029dac224.htm

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-hyundai-genesis-50-test-review

Not a civic. That c pillar was designed by a single guy for sure. It's one of the worst cars I've ever dealt with for getting kids, car seats, carriers and strollers in and out of a car.

I believe the hatch may partially solve this issue, rear door and roofline are different. Could be my imagination:

http://www.civicx.com/attachments/civic_side_sedan_comparison-png.18583/

A guy at our church got one of those new civic hatchbacks in that gray. I have to say after sitting in it and checking it all out I think it is a great car with a nice amount of useable storage with the hatch. With two kids I wouldn't hesitate to snag one that I was putting a bunch of miles on and wanted a no hassle car with out too many extras.

I believe the hatch may partially solve this issue, rear door and roofline are different. Could be my imagination.

Rear door is not different; same in both sedan and hatchback. Only body and roofline are different. Keeps costs down.

Also, I would NOT get a Hyundai Genesis V8(at least the 1st gen)...too many electrical problems with them after 100k miles.

Rear door is not different; same in both sedan and hatchback. Only body and roofline are different. Keeps costs down.

Suppose you're right Clay, the lack of chrome around the windows made it look more different than it is. The car as a whole is different from the rear floor pan back though between sedan and hatch. Hatch has slightly less legroom (still good) with the rear seats shifted forward a bit, and seats are a different part # as I recall too. Suppose the physical opening is likely identical either way.

The rear daylight window in the white sedan also throws off the visual. Come to think of it, it's funny that the sedan has the rear side glass and the hatch doesn't....was the other way around most of my life.

I'm still studying Park Avenue Ultra's. :lol: If my Cavalier gets destroyed in FL b'cuz Hurricane Irma, I may have to pick one up.

Drove a handful so far. Will probably go with the 08 TL Type-S, but have a few more to drive on Monday (16 accord, 13 TL, 15 TLX)

High remarks:

2008 Acura TL Type-S, yes, love it, stiff suspension, under $10k 120k w timing belt done

2015 Ford Taurus SHO, nice, $30k top of budget, lots of interior gadgets (more to break?)

2017 Chevy Impala Premier, nice, $25k

No:

2002 Buick Park Ave Ultra-no, too much of a boat, too lofty/drifty, good motor

New Chevy Cruze Diesel-no, not enough pep for me on the highway

New Chevy Cruze Hatch-eh, more pep, larger interior than expected

New Honda Civic Hatch Sport, eh, not a fan of CVT

New Honda Civic Hatch Sport, eh, not a fan of CVT

Go drive a manual version, it's a really great combo with the manual behind it. Only issue is if you want an gadgets, you can only get the hatch manual in a base or sport. But you were driving the sport so you know what that trim level get's you. I've been driving a 2 door 1.5T MT for about 7 months now and really like it. Company lease car so we don't have them for a long time. EX trim level is the only level for the 1.5T with manual in the 2 and 4 door if you go look at them. I'd buy it out and keep it if I weren't planing on getting the Si next, which I will likely buy out and keep for a few years.

Drove a handful so far. Will probably go with the 08 TL Type-S, but have a few more to drive on Monday (16 accord, 13 TL, 15 TLX)

High remarks:

2008 Acura TL Type-S, yes, love it, stiff suspension, under $10k ���� 120k w timing belt done

How about a 4th gen TL Type-SH (3.7L w/AWD and 6MT)? Probably a little hard to find and yeah, I know, everyone hates the beak. But, the car is a ton of fun to drive.

I had a new TLX FWD lol for a weekend a few years ago and drove it down to Nashville. IIRC I got 36mpg+ and got over 500 miles per tank. I got from work to home to south of Nashville, some errands, on 1 tank. Then back up to Ostrander, Columbus, then back to work on the 2nd tank and had I think around 140miles of range left. Anyway, I would pick something that get's really good range per tank regardless of what you get. I had a Fit before this and it got like 300mi/tank. It was really annoying filling up every 3-4 days and my commute is only 82mi round trip. I've been getting 400-450/tank in the Civic, it's really nice to be able to go the work week on 1 tank.

I'll look into the MT Civic. Would like AT for when the wife drives it, but not mandatory. 4G TL and TLX are on my list. I'll look for an SH, yes the beak sucks. Oh well.

I'm not worried about miles per tank. I fill up every other day as it is with the Trailblazer, so I'm just looking at MPG. Yes, the type-S is 17/26 and premium fuel...but under $10k and fun to drive (some comment to harsh for DD...whatevs)

Not committed to the type-S, keep the comments coming.

Seriously, go drive a VW Passat before you buy!

Drove a Passat, didn't tickle my fancy after driving the TL. So now the TL is at its new home.

2008 TL Type-S, 119k, 5AT, kinetic blue pearl, black & grey two-tone leather. I think I got a good deal and plan to drive it for another 100k.

Once I figure out a new free photo hosting site, I'll upload a pic...help!

Drove a Passat, didn't tickle my fancy after driving the TL. So now the TL is at its new home.

2008 TL Type-S, 119k, 5AT, kinetic blue pearl, black & grey two-tone leather. I think I got a good deal and plan to drive it for another 100k.

Once I figure out a new free photo hosting site, I'll upload a pic...help!

Congrats! I've always liked those cars. Sounds like a great choice. For image hosting I use imgur, it's the quickest/easiest out there IMO

Thanks Steve.

I'm loving the car so far, 30 mpg on my first 200 mile trip (mostly hwy). Suspension is tight enough and engine is quick enough to keep me happy and not bored out of my mind. Also a nice family sedan that can still carry 4 adults and a kid seat without much trouble. MPGs are much better than my old SUV. Rare-ish color and Type-S make it a semi cool car that you don't see 100 of them driving down the road (not a civic, accord, camry, etc.)

Edited by adamgh81
Spelling