Where to go camping

Big A

Did a search but didn't see anything. We have a 30' RV and looking for some new suggestions of where to go camping. Looking to stay ~1 hour from Columbus. Looking for something isn't too strict and light have to be out at 8PM. More private or separation between sites the better.

Alum and Mohican reservation are a couple of our go to spots but looking to change it up.

What about like Hocking Hills area? Buckeye Lake?

Yea i have been checking some camp grounds in those areas and some are sold old given the time of year and the change of colors.

More looking for specific camp grounds others have good experiences with.

While I'm not sure about rv spots, I will chime in on good locations that I have camped at.

Blue Rock State park is a nice place, has a lake

Burr Oak is another nice place, lots of hiking/exploring areas there, beautiful in the fall when the leaves change.

A little bit further south is Zaleski State Park- good for nice hiking, again not sure on rv spots. I've hiked the 10 and 20 mile loops peacefull.

I have seen bears at Zaleski and signs of them at Blue Rock and Burr Oak just a heads-up

There is a Boy Scout camp in Licking county called Camp Falling Rock I would call and check with them to see about non scouts camping.

My inlaws just went to Lake Hope and they really liked it.

A little bit further south is Zaleski State Park...

A scooner is a sailboat....

...good for nice hiking, again not sure on rv spots. I've hiked the 10 and 20 mile loops peacefull.

Did you have them fill up the cisterns with Mountain Dew before you went?

http://lazyriveratgranville.com

Never stayed there but have heard good things from several people. It's on our list of places to try out.

This has been our go to place for several years. Maybe 20 stays. All but the last two were great. Had a guy that lives there year round scream at my boys for riding bikes thru a mud puddle of all things, had a wolf/dog charge my kids unleashed 2 times ago. Last time, this Summer, my 8 year old was on their 3 story obstacle course and had BOTH of his safety clasps fail. In other words, 30 feet up with nothing holding him. They claimed they had never seen that happen. Tested both once we got him down... both defective.

This has been our go to place for several years. Maybe 20 stays. All but the last two were great. Had a guy that lives there year round scream at my boys for riding bikes thru a mud puddle of all things, had a wolf/dog charge my kids unleashed 2 times ago. Last time, this Summer, my 8 year old was on their 3 story obstacle course and had BOTH of his safety clasps fail. In other words, 30 feet up with nothing holding him. They claimed they had never seen that happen. Tested both once we got him down... both defective.

Wonder if it changed hands or something? My buddy stayed there this summer and they had a good time but he's relatively new to camping so he's only stayed at 2 parks. If there's one thing you get at campground it's old people that have spent a few days memorizing every park rule and they also expect it to be peaceful and quiet at all times. I ignore those people. I have 3 kids that ride bikes and make noise....I dare someone to yell at them for doing so. They're respectful and we don't let them run wild but a kid + a bike + a mud puddle only really has 1 outcome.

Wonder if it changed hands or something? My buddy stayed there this summer and they had a good time but he's relatively new to camping so he's only stayed at 2 parks. If there's one thing you get at campground it's old people that have spent a few days memorizing every park rule and they also expect it to be peaceful and quiet at all times. I ignore those people. I have 3 kids that ride bikes and make noise....I dare someone to yell at them for doing so. They're respectful and we don't let them run wild but a kid + a bike + a mud puddle only really has 1 outcome.

What? A kid riding his own bike thru a mud puddle is cause for anyone other than his own parent to give a shit? Odd you'd focus your reply on a mud puddle and not the 100lb dog charging my kids or the 3 story climbing course fuck up.

I meant that as my kids would do the same thing.....you put any kid on a bike and introduce them to a mud puddle there's zero chance that bike and kid stay clean. We go near VA beach every year for 2 weeks. The place we stay has a sandy "beach" on the back bay area. My son spent an entire afternoon with a shovel building a ramp out of sand so he could jump out into the water. We've never had anyone openly complain about the kids but in a campground kids aren't going to sit in a chair under the awning like the old people that like to bitch.

While I'm not sure about rv spots, I will chime in on good locations that I have camped at.

Blue Rock State park is a nice place, has a lake

Burr Oak is another nice place, lots of hiking/exploring areas there, beautiful in the fall when the leaves change.

A little bit further south is Zaleski State Park- good for nice hiking, again not sure on rv spots. I've hiked the 10 and 20 mile loops peacefull.

I have seen bears at Zaleski and signs of them at Blue Rock and Burr Oak just a heads-up

There is a Boy Scout camp in Licking county called Camp Falling Rock I would call and check with them to see about non scouts camping.

The lower campground at Blue Rock is NOT the first place I would want to take anything bigger than a truck bed camper. I've tent camped there about a hundred times, most of the sites are okay. The ones across the creek are nicely isolated. I haven't camped the upper one yet, can't tell you on access there.

Camp Falling Rock is nice, been there with Dad's Scout Troop about a dozen times. I don't think they are open for individual campers, but they have rented to business groups.