Back in the saddle

TimTaylor751647545500

Saw this '99 iron883 for sale at the car show in Delaware a couple of weeks ago and decided I had to have it. Bike was completely gone over and had a 1200 kit installed. New tires, paint, powder coat and a laundry list of other changes & upgrades. Clocked about 450 miles since I got it and am really enjoying riding again, other than the hard OEM HD seat.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1003&pictureid=8902

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1003&pictureid=8903

nice score.

That seat you have isn't the stock HD seat. I don't know where it came from but Iron 883's don't come with a passenger pillion. Actually the stock seat is usually pretty comfy for a solo seat.

All sporty seats from 1996-2003 will fit your bike. Some of the later one might, or might not, it's hit or miss.

most of the aftermarket seats are thinner than stock instead of thicker. You may have to try sitting on a few before you find a decent one. A good place to start might be mustang's "touring" solo saddle. It's pretty cushy.

Mind sharing what you paid? My 650 isn't exciting anymore, been thinking of moving on to something bigger and badder.

you know, "bigger" displacement wise doesn't always mean "faster" right? I love sportsters but on a good day most 1200cc sportys only make around 60hp. They do make 70+ ft/lbs of torque which means they can haul out from a stop light but if you are riding any kind of 650cc japanese sportbike or standard (like a ninja 650) you aren't getting a bump in speed or HP.

I paid $3500 which I thought was fair for a bike with only 7500 miles. But there's only about 450 miles on the engine refresh.

That's a pretty great price for a 1200 sporty, even one that started as an 883. Congrats!.

I paid $3500 which I thought was fair for a bike with only 7500 miles. But there's only about 450 miles on the engine refresh.

Nice! not a whole lot more than I paid for my bike last year, with a lot more motor and a bit less miles.

you know, "bigger" displacement wise doesn't always mean "faster" right? I love sportsters but on a good day most 1200cc sportys only make around 60hp. They do make 70+ ft/lbs of torque which means they can haul out from a stop light but if you are riding any kind of 650cc japanese sportbike or standard (like a ninja 650) you aren't getting a bump in speed or HP.

I really enjoy how you've defaulted to the assumption that would make me appear either wrong or stupid. No shit the displacement and thus output of a sport bike is a whole different ball game than that of a cruiser. You read into a 20 word post far more than necessary. I have a Yamaha V Star 650 custom. Not. A. Sport. Bike.

I didn't even say "faster," you did. I only said I wanted something bigger and badder. 1200 is indeed "bigger" than 650, and subjectively "badder."