Rife's LOL

RyM3rC

Heard good things about Rife's from some picky people, gave em a try. Would not recommend for a car person. People were friendly, communication was good, timetable was only 2ish weeks late, but workmanship? LOL

What they did:

-Replaced the liftgate w/OEM, repainted

-Replaced the bumper cover w/OEM, repainted

-Replaced the supporting structure underneath the bumper cover

-Replaced some clips and fasteners along the way

-Retint rear window - it was perfect, but they damaged the tinting during removal, so they retinted it

Ended up being $6000ish all said and done.

The good: They did in fact replace parts, paint them, and currently everything is functional.

The bad: First I saw "tint rear window" on a modified estimate, and knowing I have mostly perfect ceramic tinting from Performance Auto Spa, called to see what happened. They damaged the tint during removal of the window, and retinted it- no charge. I specifically told them "NOPE I want the same exact ceramic tint I had, already got a quote from performance auto spa for $120 I'll take it over there and have it done myself" only to be told "we already had our tint guy redo it."

More bad: Picked up the car, the rear latch mechanism was still broken. Pointed it out, it still mostly worked but was snapped in half. "No problem we'll resubmit that and you can bring it in to get fixed later" okay works for me. On a return trip, they did in fact replace this.

More bad: Upon inspection, the liftgate alignment looked like dogshit, the panel gap on one side is like triple the other! Took it back, they re-aligned it and it is much better now. Before, the alignment was damn near perfect pre-replacement.

More bad: The paintwork looks somewhere between "Wow really?" and "garage rattle can." Swirl marks all over, some places where a buffer? burned/scratched it pretty bad on a contour, paint so thick it started to run in some spots, really bad orange peel in others, bunch of debris? in the jamb areas. Before, the paint was swirly and not great, but at least it didn't have orange peel, runs, debris in it.

More bad: WTF where did all these massive scratches come from? There are 6ish massive scratches on both C-pillar areas that weren't there before, like something large was laid across or up against the car on both sides. Might clean up, but they weren't there before!

Just annoying: They put 30 miles on the car. I know it says they can in the paperwork I signed, but that CAN'T be normal. Brb, need to pick someone up at the airport- I'll take this customer's car! No explanation, I can only guess they had random tint guy pick it up, take it back to his tint-lair, joyride around, and bring it back when they were bored with it.

I'm particularly sensitive about people driving my cars, especially the MANUAL ones. Seen too many tards out there grinding gears, slipping clutches, and other dumb shit causing premature wear and damage.

Also, little heavy on the window adhesive guys (see pic), doesn't make me confident the bead is even and where it should be...

On to the pics!

Swirl marks! I'm not a photog type, and I really couldn't capture the shittyness of these but I tried

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=8922

One of the cut-lines in the bodywork- paint so heavy it's running or something?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=8921

Hard to see, but this was replaced and repainted, and already they scratched/overbuffed? the shit out of it

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=8920

Scratches! Damnit the light wouldn't cooperate and these really didn't turn up on my shitty ancient camera, but kinda-sorta some of the c-pillar scratches that weren't there upon delivery but were on pickup

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=8919

Look at all that window sealer! Damn I really hope this is extra and not an OOPS that is going to leak!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=8918

Pic of some of the debris? or whatever shittyness, and the LOL orange peel in the jamb area

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=8917

This is a pic of the hinge. The paint is disturbed here since they had to realign the hatch. It's a good representation of the almost-crinkle-finish of some areas.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1006&pictureid=8916

I haven't washed the car yet, and doubt I'll ever bother again.

Rife's LOL

That's unfortunate. Are you planning on bringing it back to them to see if they are willing to fix the slop?

I took it back once to have the latch replaced, and the hatch alignment un-fucked which took almost 2 hours.

I doubt I'll go any further, as it took them 4 weeks to do the work the first time, and I don't really trust them to strip the paint and do it again less-shittily.

Any suggestions? Not a big enough deal to sue, and wifey doesn't want to bother with a diminished value claim.

If this was done through insurance I'd make a fuss about it with them, seeing as how you don't seem to want to deal with it you must not have paid out of pocket.

It's sad how hard it is to get decent body work done. All I ever want is someone who can paint, I usually tweak and adjust panel fitment myself until it looks decent. Of course I've done that with everything I've ever owned damaged or not, part of buying GM cars I guess.

you must not have paid out of pocket.

Insurance paid for it. They originally told me "you're only about a grand away from it being totalled" then after many revised estimates our adjuster whoever told me "you're within a couple hundred bucks, could total out" and I didn't want to because of how hard it was to find this car in the first place.

Who is your insurance company? You definitely need to take this up with them and don't let up. You paid your hard-earned money for that vehicle and insurance premiums to have it repaired correctly. You just said that the car was hard to find, so I'm assuming you enjoy this vehicle and it's not just a run-of-the-mill DD for you.

Hold them accountable and get it fixed the way it should be.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've yet to find any auto body shop that doesn't cut corners. It just doesn't pay (insurance wise) to give that much "detail" when it comes to repairing damage let alone repainting a car just because you want to.

Time, money, having someone know what they are doing and not taking pride in a shitty job. Its that simple, yet so hard to adhere to.

DP

Which location did you take it to? I'm really surprised. In terms of the detail work, I'm not actually surprised. I've yet to see a body shop buff/polish worth a darned. I can fix all that for you if you're interested.

My Audi was done at their Paris Ave. Location just south of 270/Westerville. Did an amazing job. Yes, I had to polish it to perfection but the work done is amazing. I met the lead guy who did the paint work on mine and he told me that he and I would be the only two to know it's been painted and he's right. Dare I say the paint work is better than the factory even. He even matched the thickness of the existing paint. Most shops will lay it on really thick and uneven, he did not. Perfection.

Let me know if you want to stop by and get the panels compounded and polished back. Should be easy to do and I have all the gear and products to do fresh paint without issue. Hit me up here on CR or just text/call my cell listed in my signature.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Which location did you take it to?

Right off riverside drive in grandview.

The positive feedback of some in the car community is what convinced me to give them a chance. I was expecting to be disappointed, and I was.

It's not a show car, the paint was swirl-tastic when I got it, and the person driving it is okay with it because they're not a car-person.

Take it to Achbach auto and have then quote it and get it fixed correctly

LOL if you don’t own a high end car and pay out of pocket, they are terrible. I had my 05 STI there years ago and in paperwork it listed internal parts being replaced, and upon a fog light install I tore the front end apart found reused broken parts from the deer accident I took it in for.

I don’t know how many times some of us can say it here, if you want your shit done right, take it to someone who cares to get it right. If you are not using Kevin at Clifford Automotive you are wasting your money.

• 2 weeks later...