Anyone into bitcoins?

Jewtoys

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before the tariffs and all that I was able to get a Strix 3090 for $1750 now MSRP is $2200 and people are buying them for 4k. STONKS

Way back, I got my kids each an Asus G11CD with 16GB ram, i5 and a GTX970 for like $300 each. Now they are getting a bit aged and all I can see out there is $2-4k video cards by themselves!! My son asked me about an upgrade and I just laughed, then showed him what current video card prices are like. He said you can buy a used car for that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

"when buying becomes reflexive, and investors feel that the most dangerous move is not to buy, prices can quickly break free from fundamentals."

Admittedly, there's not been much of a historical or regulatory "fundamental" when it comes to crypto. :lol:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-10/is-everyone-making-money-but-you-the-fomo-economy-of-memes-crypto-housing?srnd=premium

Another interesting article came out today talking about the global capital ratio standards that banks will likely have to hold in order to cover the risks associated with crypto holdings....it's going to be expensive for regulated industries to participate in the market!

I know it's a shithole country but El Salvador just adopted bitcoin as legal tender

And last time I checked you could buy citizenship their for about $50k so I wasn't surprised to see that annoucement.

Here's an example of how fragile Dogecoin is, today someone sold and it momentarily hit near 0.09. I'm actually surprised that it didn't trigger a bunch of stops which means the market makers knew it was coming and kept those orders on hold because they were being nice or nearly everyone in Doge are clueless noobs who don't know what stop loss orders are and are not using them to protect their gains.

dogeLOL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I hadn't given bitcoin much thought in the past but my brother in law has been very into it this year and family has been visiting this week so we've been watching the markets in my office and he showed me Kraken which actually has decent charts. I built a few spreadsheets to track stats and been showing him how to read the charts. It actually looks like making very fast scalps are possible buying 1-5 bitcoins at a time. Fees are huge and I'm still trying to get a handle on the transaction costs. Even the free ones aren't free but you don't notice if your holding long. The free ones like Robinhood actually have the highest costs because they make money on the spread and don't tell you directly, it's in the fine print lol. Also trying to figure out how to execute a short sale within the US as all the exchanges are centered around noobs buying for long positions. Looks like you can do it over seas on a few.

I’m too poor to buy 1-5 Bitcoin at a time.

Yeah I know the feeling, it's weird thinking in terms of 1 share and the fee to trade 5 is about $500 to get in and out so your already fighting up hill to profit. I'm gonna run some tests for a few weeks maybe months and might find that it's still not worst the risk/reward but he sold me on at least looking at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'll stay far away until it's regulated at least in the sense that I can believe my money is safe. The stuff going on with Binance lately has me thankful I haven't deposited anything yet. In case anyone missed it, Binance seems to be having a liquidity problem and could possibly get accused of a pyramid scheme, people are having real issues withdrawing their money.

I don't mind day trade market risk but I'm not putting money into anything that shady. Even the other seemingly safer ones are allowing shady stuff to go on that they are trying to claim is legal because of lack of letter of the law regulation even though in the US some of the practices are illegal. I'm also seeing a ton of people having complete lack of understanding how their gains are going to effect them at tax time and I can't wait for that debacle.

• 3 weeks later...
Is bitcoin ever going to maintain it's price over $40k again?

It got to $42+k but then died it's back below $40k

It’s tough right now with the Chinese ban still fresh on everyone mind. I’ve learned just buy it and treat it as my saving / 401k account.

The last time I tried to time the market I got bunt badly so I don’t try any more. Bitcoin was under $7k for like three years. In 2020 it started to have some movements. It went from $7k to $11-12k two times, so on oct 2020 the third time it went to $12k i sold 3 bitcoins. Guess what it went straight to $30k and then $65k. I was beyond pissed. I held it for three years and the month I sold it decided to have a bull run

I've been at this for over 20 years and decided a long time ago that you either buy and hold in less risky things ie, ETFs, index funds, etc and let inflation and the hope that we all have a future be the reason the value goes up over a long time period.

Its almost impossible to predict larger swings in price such as 2-12 months range unless its a very predictable market such as Scotts Miracle-Gro Co (SMG). They were always an "old faithful" not sure how they are trading now, but you could expect to buy them around 3rd-4th quarter and then sell by end of next years 2nd Quarter for a good 15-30% return. I'm sure there are others, Boeing (BA) used to be good, its actually at a very good price right now and something I might put long term money in. Budweiser (BUD) used to be good before the germans bought them, not sure how it does now, its been a long time since I timed markets on swing trades.

OR

You go for very short time frames, minutes, and day trade the shit out of the volatility on things noobs are jumping on because they don't know what the hell they are doing and it makes the chart easier to predict vs the calmer ones that the big boys using "High Frequency Traded algorithms" to move on fractions of pennies 100 times a second.

Capture352.jpg

This summer I've been putting more mornings into day trading and this is the month of July, I tried to do a minimal amount of trading so as not to over trade since summer is low volume time anyway and hard to find good set ups and generally things are down until Sept-Oct. I forgot to enter the time of entry/exit on some of the trades and don't feel like going back through brokerage records to update it as its not really important anyway, I just like to include it so I know that the time was typically a couple of minutes. Everything is always during the high volume hours of 9:30-11:30 and I found that I don't tend to lose money if I wait until after 9:50 once the market has mostly settled and picked a trend for the day. Thats actually why July looks so green, I have sheets from May and June with some red due to trying to trade the opening, now I'm just reading news and waiting that out.

Is bitcoin ever going to maintain it's price over $40k again?

It got to $42+k but then died it's back below $40k

I think over time, 40K could seem like a good price but that will be determined by whether its usefulness continues and it doesn't get deprecated by some other tech, ie quantum computing blows its security out of the water and develops some much more robust digital coinage.

Another major factor is going to be how regulation effects it, I stated I don't want to trade them right now due to all the BS going on, and I think regulation is a great thing for long term investors and day traders alike on these assets. Right now Its a free for all and huge sharks are stealing peoples money, the institutions who aren't involved know this and aren't investing as of yet, but once they become regulated you'll start seeing tons of ETFs and other funds set up to "invest" in them within the rules and start pushing the prices up across the board.