Let's talk automotive repair

Cordell

I do more diagnosing at the airport than I ever did at the dealership or private shop world. You just have no idea how in depth big equipment is.

I think you put yourself on too much of a high horse. Your a certified tech, there's thousands of them out there, I've been there.

I don't understand your view because at least twice per year you post bitching about your career, no money, and wanting a change.

Sorry to be blunt about it but like I've said a 100x get out.

At the airport we go to all schools oshkosh, rosenbauer, MB, Ohio cat, and more. We diagnose issues daily, we have high dollar Bosch scan tools. We have software for our dedicated lap tops.

I cant believe you think that hourly paid mechanics are parts hangers and I think you're afraid of change.

I have been in your shoes, and glad I'm out of it.

Where are all these hourly jobs at? I don't see any that are going to involve what I get at the dealership. I like the support of the manufacturer, I like having all the tools to diag. Do you honestly think you can do dealership level diag in an aftermarket shop with Alldata and some random aftermarket scan tool? Do you think it's feasable for one person to be capable of a high level of diag on every car that could come through the door?

If I've gotten anything out of this thread it's reinforcing that I really like my job, I just hate one major aspect of it. Not making much money sucks, but if I'm working on cars I prefer the dealership environment. So when some GM dealer decides to pay hourly I'll be one of the first in line, but that isn't happening.

Rocky, I don't know what happened when you worked at a dealership or how far you got in your training, but you've made it quite clear that it isn't for you. I don't understand how you can't see my view on it. Just because the pay sucks doesn't mean the whole job sucks.

Come work as a tech out at Honda R&D as a tech. If you are as driven as I think you are, the sky is the limit. Someone I know has went form being a tech, to one of their (engineering) technical experts. Some of our techs in my department just want to wrench and do as little as possible. 1 of them bust his ass and will move up, he's only been here for 1~2 years; he does 'tech' work, but he also now flashes cars, does diag on any issues their car's have, runs test (in vehicle test driving).

If you are serious, PM EC92 on here, he runs a contracting firm; these types of companies 'supply' most of our techs.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I know BMW is pushing diag teams at most of their dealerships. I would expect there are other brands doing the same thing. I don't know any locally but Id be surprised if there aren't a few. Maybe not GM but if you are great a diag you should be able to switch brands without too much difficulty after some training.

I've worked with lots of guys that have done side work after hours in hopes of doing it as their main gig and/or transitioning into their own shop. None of it has worked out. Not saying it can't be done but its just super difficult. Mainly they just get burnt out before they are able to make it work. Along with the logistical, financial, insurance, etc, etc that everyone else has mentioned. My one friend even had some financial backing to start a shop and he still couldn't get started. I hope you find something that works for you. Im in a similar "stuck" situation at a dealership with minimal options aside from changing careers completely.

Scott,

I would be interested in sending some work your way. I dont like paying $100ish an hour to a dealership/shop where the actual person working on my car is making $15 to $30 a hour.

I would love to paid someone who is qualified and good decent $$ on their off time, which should be less what the dealership would charge. I have been thinking over the past two years of opening a shop, but I don't have the time presently. I have the basic tools such a lift/etc in a nice shop but none of the late stuff for the late models automobiles.

Back to you, like Brian send, you will need your place to be secure enough for the customer's car and I would recommend that you work of friend's stuff first. You don't want strangers over at your house and have to deal with crap from non friends.

I wish you the best on this.