Playing in the Streets, what's it take these days?

99StockGT

It's not so much the run for cash thing as the just have the fun and rush of competition then maybe a beer after. Not sure how we went from friendly spirited contests as a group to "Ohh burnnnnn" "Gapped Yo Ass!" kind of culture but personally the time spent talking/BSing about what we have done and plan to do is a big part of the fun.

Certainly not looking to go out looking for a Street Fight every night or even every weekend, but it would be nice to know there are people out there putting it down on the street still. Is most of it roll racing on the loop? Random 670/71/70 encounters? Or are we doing the late night commercial park these day

Is there a FB Group thats ABOVE the 614 Car Scene group of misfits that actual drivers with actual cars use? Inquiring minds need to know!

I have to agree with this. I say we just start our own group looking for people who aren't out to talk shit, just have fun and enjoy a 500hp car. I bet there are many more like us that have disappeared because they think they need 1k wheel so they don't get laughed at. I'm down.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't trap 140+ you're not competitive. The fast street cars are in the mid 150s.

How many of those people are "Street Cars" and how many are street cars? Being able to drive something that puts down those kind of numbers and can squirt through a 1/4 in 8-9 seconds on the streets is bordering on insanity. We've pushed these platforms to the point where you loose a lot of the fun of racing and it's more of a controlled terror experiment. At least, in my personal opinion.

The "I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" isn't totally inaccurate here, even when "slow car" still puts down 500+ HP and shoots through a 1/4 in less than 11 seconds. You get to experience the sensations, maybe even look to your left or right to see how it's going not just tunnel vision hold the peddle down and white knuckle it straight.

I have to agree with this. I say we just start our own group looking for people who aren't out to talk shit, just have fun and enjoy a 500hp car. I bet there are many more like us that have disappeared because they think they need 1k wheel so they don't get laughed at. I'm down.

+1

I dont have the cash laying around to build a 1000+hp car right now anyway, or at least not enough to keep it running. You start breaking things alot when you get that high.

It's sad to me that in an era of incredible social networking capabilities things like this aren't a natural fit. Aside from a few car clubs I'm involved in on the business side the great "car community" AKA groups like 614 are absolutely terrible examples. Had a bit of this conversation with some people the other day over drinks, how is it we have become LESS connected with other enthusiasts over the past 10 years when all of us are walking around with permanent connections in our pockets?

trolls. People don't like the hassle. I mean, what's the number one complaint about this place? trolls.

Granted, I also think that people seem to forget their manners online. I really don't want to hear most members rush limbaugh spoon fed awful conservatism but since most people here can't help themselves, I take some slightly perverse delight in giving the opposite viewpoint back with the same tone and dismissive nature. None of you would do this in polite conversation but here? <fart noise>

I will add an extra dimension to it generally in the sense that since you are talking about an illegal activity like street racing, and illegal activities that are "organized" (like racketeering or conspiracy to commit X) usually carry a harsher penalty than if it just happened impromptu, it generally isn't wise to broadcast them on the internet since you generally don't have an expectation of privacy on social media (except as to your PI data). That usually keeps stuff like that off of social media, generally speaking.

Whatever you want to run, you won't keep up with JP.

Ha! Thanks. Im only the big fish in small ponds. :)

Any form of racing is shoveling money into a campfire, it's just a matter of how big do you want the fire to be and how long do you want it to burn.

This is it. I have been involved in many forms of racing. Drag, Roll (1/2 and mile) and high level road racing. One thing that rings true, is you either need to be independently wealthy (very, very few) have some help from mom n dad motorsports via some trust (more than will admit) or have money coming out of the ground to be at the top of any of these sports, because even at the lowest forms, say spec miata for example, the winning driver brings 5 cars and races the fastest one. Very rarely is a true privateer consistently wining anything anymore. Because of "internet fame" this has slowly seeped into the street seen, where now the wealthy play at sanctioned, and unsanctioned events alike.

But in reality, if you can hook 6-700whp you will do well and have a lot of good races at most local meets.

If you're looking for races this site isn't it anymore, most of those who actually race set stuff up on Facebook in private groups or chats. Too many fucktards and trolls here to get anything real setup.

I miss the original lists. Damn, late 90's/early 2000's was a GREAT time to be on CR/in Cbus.

START a group? This IS the group. "Just do it!" - Nike/Shia LeBouf

Granted, I also think that people seem to forget their manners online.

Irony.

I really don't want to hear most members rush limbaugh spoon fed awful conservatism but since most people here can't help themselves...

Irony.

Maybe I just haven't driven anything fast but my car on 16psi-ish (anything above that is just rolling burnout central until I hook up traction control) on the street is enough for me. By the time I floor it long enough from a roll to get my fix of turbo/CHOOCHOO noises (5-10 seconds) I'm nearing 140 and would rather not pay that inevitable ticket.

In the limited time my car has been running this year it has been fun putting absolute bus lengths on anything I've come across. Typically it is a FWD shitbox like a Fiesta/Fuckus ST, MS3 but I've had a few newer 5.0's and even a Regal GS try to drop a gear.

I guess it depends what "league" you want to be in. For me 500 wheel is enough on the street to get into some shit I'd rather not be in.

Maybe I just haven't driven anything fast but my car on 16psi-ish (anything above that is just rolling burnout central until I hook up traction control) on the street is enough for me. By the time I floor it long enough from a roll to get my fix of turbo/CHOOCHOO noises (5-10 seconds) I'm nearing 140 and would rather not pay that inevitable ticket.

In the limited time my car has been running this year it has been fun putting absolute bus lengths on anything I've come across. Typically it is a FWD shitbox like a Fiesta/Fuckus ST, MS3 but I've had a few newer 5.0's and even a Regal GS try to drop a gear.

I guess it depends what "league" you want to be in. For me 500 wheel is enough on the street to get into some shit I'd rather not be in.

Dude I completely agree. My 335 is around 500 and it's more than fast enough for me. Anything more and I'll just get myself in trouble. I have a blast with where it is now and don't need anymore.

It's sad to me that in an era of incredible social networking capabilities things like this aren't a natural fit. Aside from a few car clubs I'm involved in on the business side the great "car community" AKA groups like 614 are absolutely terrible examples. Had a bit of this conversation with some people the other day over drinks, how is it we have become LESS connected with other enthusiasts over the past 10 years when all of us are walking around with permanent connections in our pockets?

There are still avenues...but anyone frequenting a car forum falls under a certain demographic/personality trait. You're not going to get someone that loves the "instant-response" of social media onto a private vBB board that's locally funded.

Older guys generally keep in touch through the same car shows/cruises that they were attending before the Internet: face-to-face and phone/email conversations. Younger car guys largely stay connected through social media and face-to-face events promoted through the same channel.

Those of us currently 30-55 fill the gap, and often feel out of touch with both groups older and younger than us. I feel it's a part of just getting older: we're no longer the youngest demographic setting the trends. Fast and Furious is going on to it's 9th movie, but junkyard digging is also a dying art. It's interesting to see what trends rise and fall.

What's it take to run the streets? Lots of HP and tire, same as it ever was. :D

Those of us currently 30-55 fill the gap, and often feel out of touch with both groups older and younger than us. I feel it's a part of just getting older: we're no longer the youngest demographic setting the trends

This hit home for me. In the last few years I have given up on the FB pages for local meets for getting a race. Each time there is drama followed by a blowup drama on-line. Add in now the police taking cars when a "formal" street race happens sort of puts a damper for "what could go wrong".

I also, sorry but it is true, back in the day would go to a car meet. Check out all the cars and after an hour I am WTF, I'm bored.

The only things I do with my direct car club now a days is go on pre planned cruises. I love this aspect of being in a local car club. Went on a great white knuckle cruise in southern Ohio. Four hours of pushing the car hard.

When a car pulls up and down shifts next to me on the freeway or gives three honks I tend to bite as this is more spur of the moment. I only have 350hp so I get toasted a lot but that is not my end payoff. It is the fun of the run that gets me. Sure of course I want to win but "my pockets aren't deep enough" lol.

Maybe I just haven't driven anything slow but my car all motor (anything else would be just rolling burnout central until I let out) on the street is enough for me. By the time I floor it long enough from a roll to (2-5 seconds) I'm nearing 180 and would rather not have an officer inconvenience me with a talk about my sweet car.

In the limited time my car's not been in shows it has been fun putting absolute bus lengths on anything I've come across. Typically it is Tesla, M3 or Corvette but I've had a few newer Lambos and even a boss 302 try to drop a gear.

I guess it depends what "league" you want to be in. For me 500 wheel isn't enough on the street to get into some shit I'd like to be in.

There are still avenues...but anyone frequenting a car forum falls under a certain demographic/personality trait. You're not going to get someone that loves the "instant-response" of social media onto a private vBB board that's locally funded.

Older guys generally keep in touch through the same car shows/cruises that they were attending before the Internet: face-to-face and phone/email conversations. Younger car guys largely stay connected through social media and face-to-face events promoted through the same channel.

Those of us currently 30-55 fill the gap, and often feel out of touch with both groups older and younger than us. I feel it's a part of just getting older: we're no longer the youngest demographic setting the trends. Fast and Furious is going on to it's 9th movie, but junkyard digging is also a dying art. It's interesting to see what trends rise and fall.

What's it take to run the streets? Lots of HP and tire, same as it ever was. :D

You have a very valid point Sir, most of us who fall in/around that age seem to be in a state of disconnect when it comes to the car culture. When I go to hotrod shows I'm 99.8% of the time the youngest person who brought one (I'm in my late 30s) and you rarely see people there younger unless they are kids brought by their parent/grandparent.

Show at a 614 Street Meet and you will find a smattering of all sorts of types, most of which are more braggarts than anything else. It's almost nothing but shit talking and aggressive walking around. The friendly conversations and "Hey Nice Ride" stuff isn't what the culture is about at those. You also typically don't have anything beyond the BPU crowd that I've seen at those kinds of events lately.

I think both of these issues play to the point we are discussing. The "Old Guys" don't want to bring their muscle/classic out because they are in the 60s+ and it's after 8pm, they also typically aren't pushing the kind of power necessary to stay up with modern tech. The "Young Crews" are more about talking down, tossing insults, and mostly modifications that are for looks/height than outright power that it takes to get into "The Game".

So somewhere, in a well lit parking lot in a nicer area of town there's a group that keeps the old ways alive. They appreciate each others rides and the work/money/blood that's gone into making them what they are. They put down more power than most people can handle, sometimes bordering on the terrifying. They need a barely legal street tire, and know how to use it. Wher is THAT "Parking Lot"?

So somewhere, in a well lit parking lot in a nicer area of town there's a group that keeps the old ways alive. They appreciate each others rides and the work/money/blood that's gone into making them what they are. They put down more power than most people can handle, sometimes bordering on the terrifying. They need a barely legal street tire, and know how to use it. Wher is THAT "Parking Lot"?

Lennox Town Center, every Saturday morning. :gabe:

Maybe I just haven't driven anything slow but my car all motor (anything else would be just rolling burnout central until I let out) on the street is enough for me. By the time I floor it long enough from a roll to (2-5 seconds) I'm nearing 180 and would rather not have an officer inconvenience me with a talk about my sweet car.

In the limited time my car's not been in shows it has been fun putting absolute bus lengths on anything I've come across. Typically it is Tesla, M3 or Corvette but I've had a few newer Lambos and even a boss 302 try to drop a gear.

I guess it depends what "league" you want to be in. For me 500 wheel isn't enough on the street to get into some shit I'd like to be in.

What's funny about this is I've tried numerous times to race you, and you won't bite.

When you want that race get with me in the spring. I'd absolutely love to turn it up with traction control on and make some wanna be exotic owners get in their feels :)

Edited by Geeesammy

Lennox Town Center, every Saturday morning. :gabe:

Now you KNOW I'm a C&C Fan/Member/Attender/Supporter/Whatever and that Saturday has certainly filled a void in the automotive community that's more Carshow than Race meet. Which is a GOOD thing! The same general attitudes we see there brought to more of the racecar/cruiser atmosphere would be excellent.

Last time I used traction control I almost fell off my Dinosaur.

I forgot you are the type that writes checks instead of doing it yourself ;)

This isnt the traction control that came on your viper that keeps you out of the ditch or hopefully off the wall

...I'd write a check instead of doing something myself. I mean, technically we all do. We go to a restaurant when we don't want to cook. Some folks call a plumber, electrician, or HVAC tech to fix thing.

Yeah...if I had unlimited money I'd do some things but I'd write a LOT of checks (but not really checks because writing checks is for old folks).

"Built not bought" as a mentality to appreciate work someone put into a car in a positive way is a good thing (although it's a terrible cliche).

"built not bought" as a mentality to just shit on other people because they bought a fast car is lame. Let's face facts, very few people are out there forging their own pistons, smelting their own block, welding the chassis, etc to "build their own car". They almost all start from somewhere and once you introduce a hierarchy to it, let's face it - the engineers and designers who made the car in the first place are always gonna win because they literally created something from nothing.

You made something? Hooray!!! that's cool.

You bought a viper and drive it? Hooray!!! that's cool.

see...not that hard.

WTF.. Even getting old causes you to be a little more responsible and not so crazy. But to turn down a run on the street Damn I think if I was even great grampa old I would still run anytime anywhere . How could you not There's always ways to be safe But you might miss out on one bad a** opportunity that you can never get back. Run Your f****** car Run it hard that's what you build it for. I just get frustrated at this new p**** a** generation apparently being offended by street racing. Or butthurt because their butthurt over everything lol.

I don't get the whole street racing thing... I follow the dudes on the fb groups and joke around that I'm going to call the cops on them in mexico.

Sure giving a guy a run on the highway just for fun because they think you don't have shit. but actually going out to "mexico" and racing guys on the street... nah fam.

I've been arrested, not fun.... plus a reckless ops would kill my chances of going driver at work.