Some business start up questions

Tractor

Hey guys, I know there's a lot of very talented people here from a wide range of backgrounds. Thats what makes CR so awesome and a major reason I am still around on this site.

I moved down to the Myrtle Beach area and have started a technology consulting and IT services type of company here. I do the usual stuff supporting small businesses IT needs from PC's and printers to network and server solutions. Right now I'm just beginning and I'm pretty comfortable tech wise and running the business, but unfortunately I'm just not experienced at sales and being a tech geek, I'm not going to be great at sales even if I learn some skills.

Bottom line is I'd like to get a person who could work on the sales side, I'm even willing to make them a partner if they can bring enough to the table besides just cold calling. I'm completely committed to this and completely serious with the hope that this company becomes self supporting and beyond.

My next question is advertising. Does anyone have experience with local radio ads? I've done some basic research into cost and its not cost prohibitive as long as it does bring some business in. Does anyone have any data like how many clients might take a look at my business, possibly call me, and any conversion rates?

Thanks,

Guys

Advertise on Facebook.

Become able to sell.

I’ve personally never met an entrepreneur who wasn’t “a sales guy” first. Then again, hardly any IT guys are Salespeople.

I can chat this weekend about advertising, selling, exposure, and what it takes to get off the ground. PM me.

Advertise on Facebook.

Become able to sell.

I’ve personally never met an entrepreneur who wasn’t “a sales guy” first. Then again, hardly any IT guys are Salespeople.

I can chat this weekend about advertising, selling, exposure, and what it takes to get off the ground. PM me.

Yes. Facebook ads, don't waste your money on radio ads. For B2B consulting stuff I'd think Linkedin ads could work well for you as well.

Bob helped me start my company and he's been a great mentor to me.

As someone who actually owned a business doing exactly what you are talking about there are a couple things I would recommend.

1) Learn to speak Human, not just Tech. Being able to "dumb down" your speak when discussing technical issues is HUGE, when you are dealing with a customer or potential customer if you are talking in lingo that goes beyond their knowledge they most of time will zone out. Once they've lost focus and understanding, you are in dangerous territory.

2) Be careful what businesses and industries you get involved in. There are a lot of industries that require special security in place, AKA Medical with HIPAA. The potential is certainly there but you need to make sure you are crossing every T or you are in for a shitstorm when/if things go wrong.

3) Face to Face visits are where you'll find your customers. Phone calls are a percentage game where if you hit a 5% rate of return you are doing well. The majority of the time you won't speak to the owner directly when you call in, and getting past the front desk as just another "telemarketer" is a crap shoot. Face to Face, you can sell yourself and the office staff is much more likely to give you access to explain what you can do.

4) Have a sizable chunk of liquid cash in the business. Buying parts-pieces-cabling-tools can get expensive QUICK! Depending on how you are doing your billing some/most of that will come out of your pocket until the invoice is cleared with the customer. Especially with new clients. If you are running on a shoestring budget you can quickly tap out a reserve of cash and end up having to dip into Credit Cards. CC debt immediately eats into your profitability, unless you absolutely stay on top of billing/invoicing/statements.

5) Professional Attitude / Appearance! Don't show up with jeans stained shoes a hoodie and a 6 month beard. While dressing that way in tech community is pretty normal even upping your "nerd" cred, in the broader business world dress to impress still stands. I'm not saying dress in a 3 piece suit and $400 shoes but clean and professional goes a long way. This also goes to your business card, make sure it's clean professional and informative.

Many many lessons I learned going down this path. Best of luck to you, there's good money in the business if you can hack it and protect what you build!

Thanks guys, I also don't know many tech people who aren't actually just good salesman. Thats true in any business, you need sales first or all the tech ability in the world is wasted. Thats why most good techs continue to work for someone else. I do have a wife who's a master at sales, but she works full time and so can't put much time into my business.

I'm going to be adding a linkedin site and likely facebook. Your correct B2B is my market and I've been doing this work over 20 years so I know the tech part and I do know how to talk to users on their level at any level. I also understand that I'm not getting involved with doctors offices, I don't want anything to do with them for many reasons especially compliance.

My current target markets are lawyers, engineering/architectural firms, service industry companies such as heating/AC, small car dealers.

I'm making a little money by doing sub contracted work for other IT companies that have national accounts and need a person to do work in my region. Lots of simple tasks that pay pretty well per hour, but to sustain my company into the future I need my own clients.

The only reason I mention radio ads is because in my market the local conservative talk radio station blasts this computer company on the radio a lot. I looked into the guy a little bit and quickly found he's into tax fraud big time. Like nearly 1 million miss reported over a couple years time. His company is a fly by night, closes and reopens under different names constantly, etc.

So I want his problems.