Inherited Model Airplane Collection - For Sale

spankis

I have a "collection" of around 30 diecast model airplanes I'd like to sell as a lot. For size reference, they are pictured on a full size 4 x 8 pool table.

KmZsiZTl.jpg

e2KDM9Sl.jpg

6LvYesyl.jpg

Album link with bigger pics here: https://imgur.com/a/b3Whh

I sort of inherited these a few years ago from a relative who passed away. My uncle told me they were going to dumped in a box and taken to good will, and I thought that was a shame. I'm not an airplane guy, but I thought these warranted preserving at least and I knew they were somewhat fragile with all the detail. I bought a couple dozen boxes and several rolls of bubble wrap, and packaged them up carefully. They've been in my basement since then.

I did not take time to research each specific model or scale, and I don't have a list of what all is included. All I have are the pictures above, as they are boxed up in my basement. I can tell you that they are diecast metal and all in good shape. They are all pretty heavy, especially the larger ones. They vary in size from around hand size to probably 16-24" wingspan for the larger ones. To be clear these are very detailed display pieces more than toys, though that's not to say that a kid wouldn't appreciate them.

From what limited research I did these easily totaled between $2k+ originally, as the big ones are surprisingly expensive. I was thinking these could be a christmas gift for somebody, or that an aviation buff might enjoy displaying them. Before I got them they were all displayed on bookshelves and looked pretty cool.

Not looking to cash in, but want these to find a decent home.

Make an offer if interested - only looking to sell them together.

Those are cool. I used to be big into old planes when I was a kid.. had all the micro machines and posters on my walls etc.

Still have your micro machines? :megusta:

EDIT: To original poster don't let anyone lowball you $200 bucks for say. I know it might be a pain but depending on brand, etc. these can go for $100's a piece easily. Seems like you know that already but just saying...

Thanks guys. When I had them out I know the bigger ones were listed for $300ish a piece. I really really really don't want to unbox them all given that it was such a pain in the ass to begin with, but I realize I may have no choice without giving them away.

As for facebook, I've still got an active account but haven't logged into it for 5 years or so. I hesitate to break the streak to peddle my collectibles, but may give in.

I did list them on craigslist and if you'd like to share I would appreciate it.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/clt/d/diecast-model-airplane/6421717953.html

Posted on FB

Thanks!

Do you know what brand they are? If they are diecast there should be a makers mark on the bottom of the fuselage or wing.

I do not recall, but I remember they weren't all the same, like they were from several different "series". I've had similar questions from craigslist though. Out of town for work until Thursday, and I wil likely open several of them up when I get back.

Sounds like sale pending to a guy in NC actually. Considering half payment upfront via paypal to hold them.

Any way I can get screwed via paypal, or anything to look out for? I've spoken to the guy on the phone and email and he seems very legit, just trying to over my bases here.

Thanks

PayPal its hard to get screwed. Send as goods and services NOT family and friends.

Soooo, guy sent it to me as family and friends. I was able to claim it this morning. Thought I avoid fees this way no?

Soooo, guy sent it to me as family and friends. I was able to claim it this morning. Thought I avoid fees this way no?

You do avoid them

I always ask for the buyer to pay 3% PP fee's as goods and services.

Not too much he can do as a buyer, I think the only protections that are waived are his. Unsure if he can chargeback.

I sell and buy everything as goods/services and gladly pay the 2-3% for peace of mind. I had a run in once and it was resolved quickly thanks to PP.