All new 2019 RAM 1500

Mallard

I will say the RAM int looks pretty nice, but to me it just looks...busy. Cramp. Like they're trying too hard. I dunno. It's nice, but just not for me.

I do not drive a GM and I agree about the offset wheel. Makes tater sense.

Idgas about the hate honestly. My old work truck was a ram and if I had to buy now, a ram would be at the top of my list. That truck was severely abused and gave me over 200k nearly trouble free miles aside from routine maintenance and a couple minor recalls.

Everyone has experiences like that. I drove a 1998 F150 with the feared 4.6 in it to JUST under 300K, nothing but maintenance and zero recalls, and sold it for profit. 99% rust free.

I've heard everyone who is brand loyal claim their brand is the only one who can do such a thing. I prefer Fords because we've proven them for generations, same as you feel about Dodge/Ram. If a GM or Ram performed better, was priced better, last longer, was more comfortable, etc. and what not, I wouldn't stick with Fords "just because". Brand loyalty is ridiculous IMO. YMMV.

Edited by Otis Nice

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say the RAM int looks pretty nice, but to me it just looks...busy. Cramp. Like they're trying too hard. I dunno. It's nice, but just not for me.

I do not drive a GM and I agree about the offset wheel. Makes tater sense.

Everyone has experiences like that. I drove a 1998 F150 with the feared 4.6 in it to JUST under 300K, nothing but maintenance and zero recalls, and sold it for profit. 99% rust free.

I've heard everyone who is brand loyal claim their brand is the only one who can do such a thing. I prefer Fords because we've proven them for generations, same as you feel about Dodge/Ram. If a GM or Ram performed better, was priced better, last longer, was more comfortable, etc. and what not, I wouldn't stick with Fords "just because". Brand loyalty is ridiculous IMO. YMMV.

I’m not that brand loyal. You can’t ready go wrong with either ford, Chevy or dodge imho.

These trucks are getting obnoxiously huge.

...and obnoxiously expensive. I think it will be safe to say that I will never own a new truck. I'll stick to trucks that don't require a 2nd mortgage and trucks that I can actually work on.

I’m not that brand loyal. You can’t ready go wrong with either ford, Chevy or dodge imho.

Kind of how I feel. I've owned and heavily used a '78 K10, '97 Dakota, '98 Ford, and now am using an '82 Ford. Yeah, this is DEFINITELY an apples/oranges, but I like older vehicles. I can say that between my dad and his they've done heavy hauling (for 1/2 ton) and farm work, building, etc, with a '96 F150, '95 F150, 2007 F150, and 2013 Ecoboost. (Actually I forget most of granpa's aside from his '95 Eddie Bauer.) That being said they've also had a GM apiece and never really spoke ill of them, just preferred the Fords overall for performance, appearance, comfort, etc. Hell, my brothers Titan took me over some SKETCHY mountain roads on a hunting trip and he's even hauled with it. I still prefer Fords but can't truly speak ill of the Nissan's.

...and obnoxiously expensive. I think it will be safe to say that I will never own a new truck. I'll stick to trucks that don't require a 2nd mortgage and trucks that I can actually work on.

Yup.

I honestly don't think the new RAM looks that great. Aside from the 12" screen on the interior (which is just silly and wanna-be Tesla like) and the claimed largest crew-cab available in the full size class, there is NOTHING drawing me to the RAM.

I'm actually a FORD guy but have fallen in love with my wifes Yukon-Denali and the 6.2/A8. Depending what they offer and the new A10, I'd lean towards the Silverado/Sierra at this point. I don't know what it is but this looks great to me...but I'd probably want to lower it...lol

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/vehicles/2019/trucks/silverado-t1-reveal/mov/01-images/2018-silverado-trims-01.jpg?imwidth=1500

inform me when the hellcat motor is in one. Ill take a look at Ram then.

+1

Will get a ticket for texting and driving, but playing with a 12 inch screen is okay.

LOL...TRUTH!

AGREE....you really can't! All are great trucks and MUCH improved over just the last 10-years.

Went to the auto show today and there were no new Silverado's on the show floor, only locked up on the turn tables. Ill reserve judgement on the Silverado's interior quality until I can get in one, but I do think that the RAM is at the top of the class in the quality of materials being used, but I do recognize that we only had 2 trucks open and they were highly optioned models. I can't say how well it compares in a base truck.

It's still quite disappointing that an "all new" 2019 truck doesn't have the features of their competitors, like Blind Spot Detection for one.

I get that other features, like Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist may be seen as more of a GMC feature instead of Chevy, which hasn't been introduced yet and Ford and RAM don't have a two model strategy. However, with RAM 1500 within spitting distance of passing the Silverado in sales, I expected them to come out with something better.

Features that both Ford F150 and RAM 1500 offer that GM doesn't (on any truck so far):

Blind Spot Detection with trailer coverage

Rear Cross Path Detection

Lane Keep Assist

Adaptive Cruise Control

Automatic Emergency Braking

Surround View Cameras

Active Park Assist

Power Deployable Running Boards

Flat load floor

Things Ford F150 has that no one else does:

Trailer Back up Assist

Small displacement turbo V6

Things RAM 1500 has that no one else has:

RAM box storage

Recling rear seats

Adaptive LED headlamps

48V hybrid powertrains

12" touch screen infotainment

Things Silverado has that no one else has:

Power rear tailgate (although both RAM and F150 have a power release with controlled decent)

A steering wheel that is offset from the driver seat.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Went to the auto show today and there were no new Silverado's on the show floor, only locked up on the turn tables. Ill reserve judgement on the Silverado's interior quality until I can get in one, but I do think that the RAM is at the top of the class in the quality of materials being used, but I do recognize that we only had 2 trucks open and they were highly optioned models. I can't say how well it compares in a base truck.

It's still quite disappointing that an "all new" 2019 truck doesn't have the features of their competitors, like Blind Spot Detection for one.

I get that other features, like Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist may be seen as more of a GMC feature instead of Chevy, which hasn't been introduced yet and Ford and RAM don't have a two model strategy. However, with RAM 1500 within spitting distance of passing the Silverado in sales, I expected them to come out with something better.

Features that both Ford F150 and RAM 1500 offer that GM doesn't (on any truck so far):

Lane Keep Assist

Adaptive Cruise Control

Surround View Cameras

Active Park Assist

Flat load floor

Trailer Back up Assist

RAM box storage

Recling rear seats

Adaptive LED headlamps

48V hybrid powertrains

Power rear tailgate (although both RAM and F150 have a power release with controlled decent)

You make good points but it appears GM invested heavily in the structure and reducing weight rather than added features that are dubious at best (does anyone really need some

Of the “gee whiz” features). It will be interesting to see how they drive. I will bet the GMs will be the athletes of the bunch. It also appears that the “base” motor will be the 5.3 which will fare well against the competition.

You make good points but it appears GM invested heavily in the structure and reducing weight rather than added features that are dubious at best (does anyone really need some

Of the “gee whiz” features). It will be interesting to see how they drive. I will bet the GMs will be the athletes of the bunch. It also appears that the “base” motor will be the 5.3 which will fare well against the competition.

I would call the Ecoboost the "athlete of the bunch." I also say it will fare well against competition, ya know...since it has been. :gabe:

Does anyone NEED the "gee whiz" features? Nope. Does anyone NEED to pay the same price for a truck without them though? Nope.

True, also good points. RAM also focused a lot on cutting weight, but didn't go as far as using Al doors. The frame was redesigned with crash testing in mind, as well as weight, and it's using composite upper control arms.

It's clear GM was focused on aero too when you look at the front end (as was RAM), so I expect they'll post improved EPA numbers too. We'll see who comes out on top, especially after everyone certifies their diesels.

I should add to my feature list above that RAM is the only one to offer the option of coil spring suspension or air suspension. The air suspension is now a second generation design and you can lower the rear to make loading and unloading easier.

Does either Ford or Ram offer the wireless phone charging that GM does? I have been in the market for a new truck, and I really like the sound of that feature. The ability to throw my phone on the console, charge it, and drive away sounds awfully convenient to me.

Lane Keep Assist

Adaptive Cruise Control

Surround View Cameras

Active Park Assist

Flat load floor

Trailer Back up Assist

RAM box storage

Recling rear seats

Adaptive LED headlamps

48V hybrid powertrains

All bells and whistles that most buyers don’t give a crap about aside from trailer backup assist. The rest could be removed to reduce perc and they’d probably sell more.

Does either Ford or Ram offer the wireless phone charging that GM does? I have been in the market for a new truck, and I really like the sound of that feature. The ability to throw my phone on the console, charge it, and drive away sounds awfully convenient to me.
The new RAM has it, not sure about F150.
All bells and whistles that most buyers don’t give a crap about aside from trailer backup assist. The rest could be removed to reduce perc and they’d probably sell more.
They're all optional, so you don't have to pay for them if you don't want them, but the luxury pickup is probably here to stay. If the OEM's want to charge $70-100k for a truck they need to make it worth it. Though I will disagree that Blind Spot is a frivolous feature, especially when it can detect along-side a trailer you're towing.

There are base work trucks, more mainstream Big Horns, "off-road" Rebels, and luxed up Limited/Longhorns. Each has their own price point an option packages, so no one is forced to pay for an option they don't want.

I should also add, the RAM also has an available 19 speaker Harmon Kardon sound system, and the 12" touchscreen matches the resolution of the iPhone 8's retina HD display.

If Ram is trying to hint that a Ram Rebel Hellcat might be coming down the pipeline, it’d be a big deal.

If they don't end up calling the 707hp Rebel hellcat the "Rebel Yell edition", then FCA truly has no soul or sense of fun. If they could somehow partner with that southern staple "Rebel Yell Whisky", all the better.

BTW, reading the comments of that article I ran across this gem:

The center console in the GM trucks can be optioned with rails for hanging file folders.

And then my head exploded. So I went to the googles and apparently this is indeed actually a thing. You can use your GM truck's center console as a mini filing cabinet.

http://sa-en.gmcarabia.com/content/dam/GMC/middleeast/master/nscwebsite/en/01_Vehicles/01_All_Vehicles/2015-Sierra-2500-HD/01_ModelOverview/02_Interior/Large/2015-gmc-sierra-2500-mov-interior-mm1-lightbox-960x370-08.jpg

Apparently it is an option since 2014 that carries over to 2019.

I wonder if "Off Road Attorney" is a real job I can apply for?