Looking for a front subframe for 02 WRX

harmonda

I noticed a lot of decay on the passenger side when I did a brake job this summer. However, I have the motor out for a rebuild right now and it would be a perfect time to swap the subframe...less weight in car and clear access. Anyone know where I could find a solid used subframe reasonably close by? Anyone parting out an 02-07 subie? Everything I find online is either on the east coast or Canada and the shipping nearly doubles the cost. It has to be replaced as it is almost completely rotted through. I haven't been able to find any repair sections you could weld in. It is the same part from 02-07, btw.

It is the front subframe that everything connects to...not the crossmember the motor mounts bolt to. It is a large U-shaped piece of formed steel that goes from the unibody behind the front wheels near the jack point all the way around under the rad. I would attempt a repair but it is really rotten and looks like the points where everything bolts onto it are very precisely positioned.

looks like this...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harmonda/shares/rPY108

I emailed that craigslist guy. I'm in the akron/canton area all the time...that is where I'm from.

Also...someone mentioned aftermarket parts...I did a search and found a couple of tubular replacements. they look pricey but I'll explore that too.

It is the front subframe that everything connects to...not the crossmember the motor mounts bolt to. It is a large U-shaped piece of formed steel that goes from the unibody behind the front wheels near the jack point all the way around under the rad. I would attempt a repair but it is really rotten and looks like the points where everything bolts onto it are very precisely positioned.

looks like this...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harmonda/shares/rPY108

That's a crash structure. From what I understand it's design is to help guide the engine and transmission down and under the car in the event of a crash.

It's not structural however. When I built my '03 WRX for RallyX I removed most of it, retaining only enough to bolt my skid plate up to the core support. So if it is rotting through, you should be fine to remove it until you replace it, if that's what you want to do.

• 3 weeks later...