Chevy Trailblazer needs help....

TTQ B4U

Family friend has a 2003 or so Trailblazer Extended size that came with the 4300 Inline 6. has a ton of miles on it and blew a head gasket.

What's a ballpark on something like that getting fixed? He's also tossing around simply replacing the motor with either a 5.3l or something that would work.

No muscle performance needed here on this one, just trying to get him a car that runs and won't give him issues.

Insight appreciated.

Just out of curiosity.....is he sure the head gasket popped? Not that it doesn't happen but those motors are notorious for the intake gaskets leaking coolant. Just making sure he didn't see coolant and assume the head gasket is done.

Edit....my bad. I saw 4.3 and was thinking the v6. I think you mean the 4.2 inline and I can't comment on those as I've never had one.

Done plenty of work on those and have actually never seen one pop a head gasket, however I have had a couple heads off and I bet it snaps half the head bolts off. It's not an overly difficult head to R&R assuming you can keep it in time (even with the tools it's hard) because if not the oil pan and front cover have to come off more then doubling the work. If I was quoting this job I would quote it for removing the oil pan and front cover too, and cut a break if the timing chain tensioner doesn't break. The tool to hold the tensioner is literally a brass wedge that you hammer into place, it doesn't work well and I've seen it break old tensioners.

Either way, I'd suggest buying another car.