New rider

Dr. Apex

Long time no post for me but wanted to share a bit. Finally got my license in September and picked up a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere. Knowing nothing about bikes going in and not wanting a crotch rocket I looked at a handful of bikes and with the recommendation of a friend I bought the Tenere, should serve well out here in AZ.

Next trip back to Columbus I plan on renting or seeing if I can borrow a bike for a Hocking Hills cruise.

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah230/bsenft78/IMG_2357_zpsdue0fgix.jpg

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah230/bsenft78/IMG_2340_zpsgs1wl8ve.jpg

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah230/bsenft78/IMG_2324_zpshntr1kxy.jpg

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah230/bsenft78/IMG_1546_zpst8wtccb2.jpg

great bike and welcome to the fold!

The most important thing, and often the most overlooked thing by new riders, is to focus on the type of riding you want to do. Too many people jump into this buying what just looks "pretty" or is the fastest, without consideration as to how they actually want to use a bike.

The ST is technically a "dual sport" or "Adventure" bike, although it is more versatile. Think of it as the Chevy Tahoe of the motorcycle set - can be taken off road capably (esp. if you change the tires), but will spend most of it's time on-road racking up miles and has the manners to suit that.

My recommendation to you is to beg, steal, or borrow as many different motorcycles as you can to get a feel for what it is you like about two wheels. Lots of mfg offer demo days, esp. at big shows (like VMD at Mid-Ohio) and keeping a watch for ones in your area will help broaden your saddle time.

There are two types of motorcyclists in the world. Those that treat their bikes better than their wives/girlfriends and won't let anybody near them, and those that are happy to share their bikes with their other friends who ride so that everyone has a broad experience. If you can try to fall into the second category and hang out with those people, it's just way more fun and you'll get a better feel for the hobby. This doesn't mean you should just hand your keys to anybody, but motorcycling is more social than people think despite being a solitary activity. A good network of other riders can only increase your fun.

Nice Bike! Welcome to the club lol. If you plan to rent a bike, and are unsure of what to get, Iron Pony has a great rental program with all kinds of bikes. You can test ride them in the parking lot to get a feel for them too.

Good to hear, bike rentals down here are expensive. I am quite familiar with Iron Pony so I'll give them a shout when I get into town.

great bike and welcome to the fold!

The most important thing, and often the most overlooked thing by new riders, is to focus on the type of riding you want to do. Too many people jump into this buying what just looks "pretty" or is the fastest, without consideration as to how they actually want to use a bike.

The ST is technically a "dual sport" or "Adventure" bike, although it is more versatile. Think of it as the Chevy Tahoe of the motorcycle set - can be taken off road capably (esp. if you change the tires), but will spend most of it's time on-road racking up miles and has the manners to suit that.

My recommendation to you is to beg, steal, or borrow as many different motorcycles as you can to get a feel for what it is you like about two wheels. Lots of mfg offer demo days, esp. at big shows (like VMD at Mid-Ohio) and keeping a watch for ones in your area will help broaden your saddle time.

There are two types of motorcyclists in the world. Those that treat their bikes better than their wives/girlfriends and won't let anybody near them, and those that are happy to share their bikes with their other friends who ride so that everyone has a broad experience. If you can try to fall into the second category and hang out with those people, it's just way more fun and you'll get a better feel for the hobby. This doesn't mean you should just hand your keys to anybody, but motorcycling is more social than people think despite being a solitary activity. A good network of other riders can only increase your fun.

The thing is aside from avoiding a crotch rocket(or anything with an R in its name) and a Harley I had no idea what I wanted to get really. I was initially looking at a Z1000 and just trying on some larger bikes that seemed to fit me comfortably. My buddy recommended the Tenere and thankfully the dealer near me had a really nice, low mile used one. Sitting on it just felt right for me so after a bit of research and figuring being in the desert a dual sport makes sense so I bought it.

I do want to ride some other bikes, this being my first I have figured I would only stay in it for short while and figure out what I really like. I met another Tenere rider and he has a newer one so we've swapped bikes already but they weren't terribly different.

I definitely want to get out and ride with more people and I'll probably see if some of you guys want to go for a ride when I'm in this summer, definitely want to cruise the Hocking Hills!

Congrats on the new bike. If I can suggest a book, check out Proficient Motorcycling. A link is below. It’s an older book but gives some good advice for riders. Plus I’ve seen lots of copies at used book stores.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1620081199/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519912702&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=proficient+motorcycling&dpPl=1&dpID=51PPQBuBMSL&ref=plSrch

See if there’s any track based schools near you, where they rent 250s out.

Awesome bike!

I am looking for that but will likely take out the Tenere honestly.

I sat on a Tenere last fall and fell in love with it, now I just have to come up with the money to get one. I want a newer one with the cruise control and I believe updated flywheel. Amazing bikes that come with a lot for the money.

Yeah the only thing I don't have is the cruise, buddy let me ride his 2nd gen with it and it's damn nice to have!!