Fun places to stay in and around town?

Trouble Maker

Our anniversary is over a weekend coming up, and we are going to stay somewhere in town, probably downtown. Since we live in the 'city', it's the only thing that makes sense to me, otherwise we'll just take a lyft/uber somewhere, but we are open to suggestions.

Places we've stayed at downtown

The Lofts - Never, ever again!

Sheraton & Courtyard - Good, nice, normal... perfectly adequate.

The Meridien- Really liked it, will probably go here again unless someone comes up with a better suggestion.

Any other great places to stay for a special occasion?

Ha, I was going to ask about that one, but forgot to ask in my OP. I was just coming back to edit my post to ask. I don't think it was open last time we stayed downtown. It just opened within about the last year right?

Is there as much to do (eat, drink) right around it, or do we have to walk a bit more to get to stuff than for example The Meridien? I mean, maybe we are just talking a few blocks, not a big deal.

Ha, I was going to ask about that one, but forgot to ask in my OP. I was just coming back to edit my post to ask. I don't think it was open last time we stayed downtown. It just opened within about the last year right?

Is there as much to do (eat, drink) right around it, or do we have to walk a bit more to get to stuff than for example The Meridien? I mean, maybe we are just talking a few blocks, not a big deal.

Dude you're literally 5 minutes from everything/$4-6 Uber- awesome location.

And yeah- it just opened about 9? months ago or so. It was fully remodeled.

Definitely agree with Brad, that place is awesome! We got a room back in July to watch red white and boom. It was a great spot for that. Tony's is right around the corner from there in the brewery district. It is a dinner jacket type Italian place that is super tasty. http://www.tonysitalian.net/

Our anniversary is over a weekend coming up, and we are going to stay somewhere in town, probably downtown. Since we live in the 'city', it's the only thing that makes sense to me, otherwise we'll just take a lyft/uber somewhere, but we are open to suggestions.

Places we've stayed at downtown

The Lofts - Never, ever again!

Sheraton & Courtyard - Good, nice, normal... perfectly adequate.

The Meridien- Really liked it, will probably go here again unless someone comes up with a better suggestion.

Any other great places to stay for a special occasion?

Can I ask what you didn't like about the Lofts? The wife and I actually love staying there, (in one of the 4 huge suites with the giant garden style bath). Bad experience i'm assuming...

Can I ask what you didn't like about the Lofts? The wife and I actually love staying there, (in one of the 4 huge suites with the giant garden style bath). Bad experience i'm assuming...

Long story short, they lost our car keys, gave them to someone else who left earlier that morning. Then on top of that the follow through to fix the situation, even after we got our keys back, was really abysmal. Everything was great up until that point, nice place, nice really cool rooms.

Long story short, they lost our car keys, gave them to someone else who left earlier that morning. Then on top of that the follow through to fix the situation, even after we got our keys back, was really abysmal. Everything was great up until that point, nice place, nice really cool rooms.

Ahhh, ok. So the issue was on the service side of things. Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind the next time the wife and I are back in cbus and want to get a fancy room somewhere. Maybe see what other options are out there like you are doing.

I would agree that you should give LeVeque a try. I haven't stayed there yet, but just the lobby looks amazing. Plus, it's an iconic part of Columbus so you should go there at least ONCE. :)

Completely agree... but it seems like from their online booking they might somehow be all booked up the weekend of our anniversary. :( I'll have to give them a call and check.

Ahhh, ok. So the issue was on the service side of things. Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind the next time the wife and I are back in cbus and want to get a fancy room somewhere. Maybe see what other options are out there like you are doing.

If you've had good experiences, I don't mean to dissuade you. I'm sure our experience wasn't a normal thing. It's just that I can never go back there in good conscious.

But, it never hurts to try new places.

The Meridien is also really, really cool; and it's right in the middle of the Short North on High St. It seems like the Leveque hotel is a must try too.

If you've had good experiences, I don't mean to dissuade you. I'm sure our experience wasn't a normal thing. It's just that I can never go back there in good conscious.

But, it never hurts to try new places.

The Meridien is also really, really cool; and it's right in the middle of the Short North on High St. It seems like the Leveque hotel is a must try too.

We may have to check out the Meridian. I am kind of an enigma. I am a white trash hillbilly that loves hunting, fishing, and cars. On the other hand, I have been going to gallery hop in the short north since my senior year (2002), love going to the restaurants and boutique shops down there, fine wines, and nice hotels, ha ha. That being said, the wife and I were pretty disappointed a few years ago when we went down there to grab a drink at MoJoe, sit on the patio, and people watch, only to drive by and see they were closed :(

Do you happen to know if that little greek restaurant/store is still open down there? The one owned by the old Greek couple? I Think it was one of the oldest businesses in the SN.

Do you happen to know if that little greek restaurant/store is still open down there? The one owned by the old Greek couple? I Think it was one of the oldest businesses in the SN.

Well there is Happy Greek down there and Mykonos Gyro's. I beileve Happy Greek is the one you are talking about.

Well there is Happy Greek down there and Mykonos Gyro's. I beileve Happy Greek is the one you are talking about.

Happy Greek looks to be on the wrong side of High St. I remember this place wasn't far up the street from a coney joint. The restaurant used to have bulk feta cheese, 5gal buckets of olives on the floor, a wine rack, and they served food as well with a couple tables inside.

This is gonna drive me nuts. I used to go there so often when I was young, that the greek milf that used to help them out would recognize me whenever I came in. I remember she was a real estate agent as well.

Trying to remember the name of that place is going to drive me up the wall.

I stayed in the King Suite at the LeVeque a couple of weeks ago when Lewis Black played at the Palace, just a few steps away from the LeVeque.

The building is amazing, but the King Suite left a lot to be desired -- cramped bedroom, plastic doodads posing as "decor" and to top it off, a Jersey cowhide throw rug in the kitchenette, chosen, I suppose, because it was black and white. I guess we're still Cow-lumbus.

My review of it on Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g50226-d10507713-r560913559-Hotel_LeVeque_Autograph_Collection-Columbus_Ohio.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT