Zip Tie Racing aquires a C6z???

coltboostin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes, Eric @ backstreet showed me an overlay of a HC+102mm FAST car vs mine. I made 2 more HP, but he had way more torque down low. He feels this cam would see 600+ with any intake manifold even with a stock TB, and likely 620+ with a 102mm, and 7500 RPM. But recommended new Valve springs just in case.

And you are waiting for?

Any locals with a C6 Z06 (stock or slightly modded) want to do a meet and greet + mild test drive? I can offer up a 996TT, in exchange.

I keep looking at C6 Z06s on Craigslist, Autotrader, Bring A Trailer, etc, but I've actually never driven one. I'm unsure if I'd actually fit in the vehicle properly or like the ergonomics. Example - I used to be a big fan of the 03-04 Terminator SVT Mustang Cobra, then I drove one and knew instantly that I would never buy/own one within minutes. That car was not made for me and was just silly.

If not, I'll probably setup an appt at a local dealership. Maybe even this car, next weekend -- https://www.bobbylaymancars.net/VehicleDetails/used-2009-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06_1LZ-Carroll-OH/3157231973 OR I'm stopping by JP's house, eating his kids leftover Easter candy, and doing burnouts in a cul de sac of his housing development.

Any locals with a C6 Z06 (stock or slightly modded) want to do a meet and greet + mild test drive? I can offer up a 996TT, in exchange.

I keep looking at C6 Z06s on Craigslist, Autotrader, Bring A Trailer, etc, but I've actually never driven one. I'm unsure if I'd actually fit in the vehicle properly or like the ergonomics. Example - I used to be a big fan of the 03-04 Terminator SVT Mustang Cobra, then I drove one and knew instantly that I would never buy/own one within minutes. That car was not made for me and was just silly.

If not, I'll probably setup an appt at a local dealership. Maybe even this car, next weekend -- https://www.bobbylaymancars.net/VehicleDetails/used-2009-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06_1LZ-Carroll-OH/3157231973 OR I'm stopping by JP's house, eating his kids leftover Easter candy, and doing burnouts in a cul de sac of his housing development.

Friend of mine did the most of the mods to that car. It had a stock catback on it when he had it. Made 500 wheel.

Hmm, what mods are done to it? I only noticed the exhaust. It might be a good car for me to test drive, since I'd probably a modify a stock car slightly.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was listed for like $38K last week,

Hmm, what mods are done to it? I only noticed the exhaust. It might be a good car for me to test drive, since I'd probably a modify a stock car slightly.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was listed for like $38K last week,

Longtubes, air inlet, and a tune. Not sure about the clutch though. Brian tuned it. He had a cam and a set of heads for it, but then sold it to buy a new diesel work truck.

Cyber grey is also an awesome color. Love it.

You saved enough on the car to splurge a little. How else am I going to live vicariously?

Find me one cheap and I will pull the trigger.

Someone just told me about that. Said hundreds of cars. I had no idea.

Dude-

Ive been there and it was so pack there were making people parka legit 1/4 mile away. On any decent night its several hundred cars MINIMUM.

Ha! You know your welcome to the keys anytime you like old friend. I was the Same way with the Viper. Loved the look, loved the though, drove one- was a pretty instant nope for what I was looking for. The Vette is a much better driver IMO. Mine? Well the Cam's pretty agressive. For a real DD-I think one may want a milder cam.

I think you should def test drive that one you linked-looks like you can gets some history on it and its making good power to boot! :)

• 2 months later...

So the stars aligned and I was able to borrow a pair or radials and take it to the track. Goal was 10.x @ 130+ Seems crazy being a simple bolt on NA car, but with the power, it should do it

First pass- left ok, felt odd in second, then what felt like a soft limiter at 5500 in 3rd, and the same in 4th. No power! WTF? Shut it down a little after the 1/8th. Noticed the Trac. Control is FLASHING in the display. Dang! I forgot to shut TC off! but really, I have never had it hold the car back that hard before! Tuner thinks the shorter tires where a factor- and the sab control may have even been on the brakes if the car was full freakout.

Somehow- the car still went 11.2@104! WOW. Now Im excited.

Track was packed so I had to wait another 1.5 hours for a pass. I knew this was my last chance before I had to leave. And, well, I got a bit too excited. Left HARd- and broke an axle. Oh well! Funny as I told myself I would not drag race this car because I didn't want to fix it. Now, I cant wait to go back for that 10!

Then Im done i swear! :)

IMG_20180606_184336305_HDR-X3.jpg

IMG-20180607-WA0002-X2.jpg

IMG_20180608_104630055-XL.jpg

Broke an axle, really? Just bad luck. I've abused the hell out of my 113K mile stock axles thus far. C5 axles should be an upgrade. Pick up a TrackBox. You can set it to disable all the nannies automatically. It also removes TPMS. I installed mine last season.

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-motorsports-track-box-tire-pressure-sensor-eliminator.html

Broke an axle, really? Just bad luck. I've abused the hell out of my 113K mile stock axles thus far. C5 axles should be an upgrade. Pick up a TrackBox. You can set it to disable all the nannies automatically. It also removes TPMS. I installed mine last season.

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-motorsports-track-box-tire-pressure-sensor-eliminator.html

Broke it clean off at the hub. I dont fuck around! ;)

What would be perfect is traction control in 1st and off for 2-4. Is that an option with a track box, or within HP tuners?

Its crazy that C5 axles are upgrades- but I have a pair being delivered today for $100, so I'd gonna' send it either way

nice numbers. can't wait to see a full hard charging pass.

Thanks!

1) Look in the trash can for a turbo

2) Booger weld it on

4) Profit

Ha!

Tempted to rear mount the Gt42 on the Vette and put the trash can turbo on the Colt. :megusta:

One 10 second pass and done, huh? Riiiiiight...haha

Swear! It helps that I have to borrow a drag radial, and have no plans to purchase a drag pack.

Axles came, and crazy as it seems the old c5 axle actually looks like an upgrade. Physically the same size, but the output end looks like better metal, and looks to be heat treated!

IMG_20180609_232420818-X3.jpg

The c6z axle I broke looks like pot metal on the inside.

IMG_20180609_232612562-X2.jpg

JP- you can have my old DR's if you want. They are a few years old and only made 3 passes on them. Have been in storage since. I believe they used to be on 17" Camaro wheels, no longer have the wheels.