Zip Tie Racing aquires a C6z???

coltboostin

The c6z axle I broke looks like pot metal on the inside.

IMG_20180609_232612562-X2.jpg

Far from potmetal, it's a typical appearance of brittle fracture of a carbon steel. The failure was initiated by fatigue cracking mechanism (the narrow, shinier, smoother band on the top outer, roughly from 9:00 to 3:00-4:00 clock position). Like most fatigue failures, there is an origin. However, without a microscopic-level investigation I wouldn't put down my money yet, but look at around 11:00 position. There is a dark sliver on the fracture surface which might indicate the origin. It might be a near-microscopic crack.

So, the crack grew with each iteration of torque application through fatigue. The crack became longer and deeper and at one point, it let go at once. If I'm not mistaken, there is a sign of ductile fracture around the "peak" and probably extended all the way to 9:00 judging from the chevrons pointing to the peak. The inner portion is all brittle judging from the rough and jagged appearance.

Half of you are probably snoring by now ...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from potmetal, it's a typical appearance of brittle fracture of a carbon steel. The failure was initiated by fatigue cracking mechanism (the narrow, shinier, smoother band on the top outer, roughly from 9:00 to 3:00-4:00 clock position). Like most fatigue failures, there is an origin. However, without a microscopic-level investigation I wouldn't put down my money yet, but look at around 11:00 position. There is a dark sliver on the fracture surface which might indicate the origin. It might be a near-microscopic crack.

So, the crack grew with each iteration of torque application through fatigue. The crack became longer and deeper and at one point, it let go at once. If I'm not mistaken, there is a sign of ductile fracture around the "peak" and probably extended all the way to 9:00 judging from the chevrons pointing to the peak. The inner portion is all brittle judging from the rough and jagged appearance.

Run an FEA on it yet?

I like it. Makes sense.

I also think the new one "looks" better to me. We will see what happens!

Looks like you will have to go to the track more than once. Haha.

Ha! They would be good to have on the street ;). 2nd gear is currently useless from a roll.

• 2 months later...

Had a run in with a Twin Turbo Challenger. Fully built- 800whp on Big 3s dyno. Races where close if I let him get fully into boost, but otherwise, dem' c6z bald eagles were screamin'. As always I am all motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z85rmNdJdVw&feature=youtu.be

Iphone-FB-Youtube kills the quality

All thanks to Erik at Backstreet performance for the killer tune up!

http://backstreetper.com/