'89 Mustang

excell

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from the work trip. Fabbed up a quick bracket for the radiator expansion tank out of some 3/16" aluminum angle. Used the bungs on the radiator for the automatic transmission cooler lines (1/4 NPT) since mine is a manual. Turned out nice.

A5qIEnal.jpg

6b7GPFPl.jpg

9dmOeKgl.jpg

6Zy8wF6l.jpg

Plan is to have it running mid-week. Not far now.

Look what got uncovered today...

TbVAAf4l.jpg

Aw, snap. Intake hits the valve cover. :(

nCBhLbTl.jpg

3/8" spacer coming from Amazon tomorrow. Really wanted to avoid a spacer, thought of clearancing the valve cover but decided to do it right.

Got the fuel tank back in with help from a friend, primed the fuel pump to test the wiring and the new fuel lines -- 1/4" return line leaks at both fittings where I cut it to fit around my subframe connectors. :mad: My flaring job was not good enough. Ordered a couple compression fittings and a female union from Summit, hopefully that'll be good enough to get the job done for a while. If I can get it together, I'll plan to just replace the O.E. style lines with braided in the spring. Prolly should have just done that from the start. Hoping the fittings get here tomorrow too.

Edited by excell

Fully built and done. She runs! Sounds mean. Car is rich as FUCK though, I had to back the timing off a bit just to get it to run. Bogs down under any quick throttle movement. Starting to think these 47lb injectors were not a good idea, should have just gone with 24's and left the fuel lines alone lol. Not sure it's drive-able as is. It really doesn't like coming off idle. Gonna confer with Brian Turner and maybe bother Derek tomorrow. Ready to get her on the road if I can get the tuning figured out.

wODyPQKl.jpg

bXpv4qpl.jpg

4O4UwMnl.jpg

Check out dem one piece headlights

YY4Koaal.jpg

Video:

I agree with Randy she looks and sounds mean!

I also agree with Dave, 47's are a bit rich for that currently. A tune will help, but I would swap them out for 35's instead. That or start thinking about a Supercharger/blower/turbo/juice etc.

This thread is so bitter sweet with all the memories it is bringing back to me for my cousin's stang. His was a 86gt vert with a 347 stroker, novi 2000 s/c, and a shit ton of nitrous lol. He was using 42lb injectors and started running lean around 700hp.

Edited by Red Beard

Yea, I changed out the year old funky fuel with fresh 93 and it won't start again, so thinking they're just too much right now. Still need to talk to Brian, but I'm thinking of picking up a set of 30's and matching tube for my C&L and swapping them out until I do a blower next year. When it starts it idles decent, but you can't give it any throttle without it afterfiring into the exhaust, and now it won't run it all with the only change being good fuel.

Cleaned up my stock injectors and MAF, gonna swap those in tomorrow to see how it runs...

In the mean time, kids are out of town (in Columbus!) so I did a few more projects -- replaced the dew wipes, added missing seatbelt hold downs for the front seats (it's a vert, but the previous owner put in coupe seats), and replaced the rear seat belts -- they were not in great shape.

Edited by excell

Yes! But blue????? ;)

Use the 19's, don't even think twice. My old NA combo made 300/325, trapped almost 110 on 19# injectors. See so many cars running way to big an injector for an NA combo. Also, pull the plugs, bet they are major fouled.

Save the 47's for a blower and a tune.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd put one more/final update out there. :) The "that escalated quickly" update.

So, I got it running OK earlier this fall. After some miles I drained the break in oil and was pretty surprised the amount of gold dust in it. I was pretty sure it was cam bearings given the age and mileage of the motor, and I kinda knew I was doing a risky swap based on mileage but wanted to go for it anyway. I decided rather than keep running it and contaminate my new stuff, and potentially destroy something and take out more new stuff, I'd go ahead and have the motor rebuilt. I had Rodeheavers about an hour south of Pittsburgh rebuild the motor into a 347 stroker with a Callies Compstar rotating assembly. They did an awesome job on the motor.

LJxXcI4l.jpg

I decided "once and for all" that I'd stay N/A seeing as the 347 should help push me into the high 300's which is pretty much all I want in a convertible. So Tim Rodeheaver, the owner, talked me into swapping the F303 cam for an Anderson N41, and the ported GT40 intake to a Trick Flow Track Heat.

Got the engine in and had Rodeheavers tune it. Oh, I also had them throw in a set of FMS 3.73 gears while it was down there as well. :D Car made 350/362 on a Mustang dyno, which should be about 390/405 on a Dynojet. There's about 15 more in it if I swap to long tubes and an X pipe. Ran out of time to make that decision and I spent enough already, haha.

nwvzO6Jh.jpg

My kids helped me get it all washed up yesterday and took it for a cruise.

7n4bsmih.jpg

txII30eh.jpg

HedtAPhh.jpg

Look, it's a garage full of 80's Mustangs:

70FMVrXh.jpg

So, that's that. Project is a wrap. Car has one of the nicest street tunes I've ever driven. It drives like it did stock. Tim knows his stuff, should anyone out this way need Mustang work.