Cordell's C5 -major mods done

Cordell

Disclaimer: This will be a long post about everything I've done to my Corvette.

I picked up my 1997 Corvette 3.5 years ago. I bought it after selling my turbo Miata, while the Miata was fun it was also gay. I loved the handling, but I hated the cramped little thing, and it wasn't enjoyable for me to drive it other then autocross or twisty roads. Being an LS guy and a GM technician the Corvette made a lot more sense. What I wanted was a car in good condition to match my Camaro. So I found this one with 50k miles, white with black interior, six speed car. In the first few years I was tempted to sell it, but I'm glad I didn't and I'm sure I'll have this one a long time.

After having the Camaro modded and remodded into many different combinations, I decided that I needed realistic goals for the Corvette. Not only to save money, but because I wanted to keep from modding this car to be good at one thing at the expense of other aspects of the car. I like a big cam and nitrous in an f-body, and a Camaro that's a little obnoxious and unrefined is fine with me. A Corvette in my opinion should be more of a sports car then a muscle car and feel more refined, being a good all around car. So my goals became simple, improve the car's acceleration, braking, and handling without taking away from anything else. This is to be a street car first.

Suspension

When it comes to suspension it's really to easy to make a car ride horrible on the street. While coilovers are cool and there are a ton of options for any Corvette, I decided to stick with the leaf springs. However the stock FE1 base C5 stuff isn't great. It made a lot of sense for me to use the factory C5 Z06 FE4 parts, so C5Z shocks and springs went in and a set of C6 Z06 sway bars went on. This made the car much better without any harshness, however the stiffer set up makes it harder to launch at the track.

Wheels/Tires/Brakes

The stock "wagon wheels" are not a very good looking wheel to begin with, and there's much more room for wider rubber in the wheel wells then these could provide. The stock brakes on a C5 are pretty good, mine needed a total refresh, and even after doing new pads and rotors and fluid, I was not satisfied. I have always thought "big brake" kits looked cool but it has to work well too. There are no shortage of options and parts here either. Wilwood makes it's fair share of options too, but the 6 piston front calipers and 4 piston rears that are designed to fit the stock C6 Z06 rotors are what I used. This gave me 14 inch fronts and 13.4 inch rear rotors, along with the stainless lines, and now the car has no trouble slowing without fade.

Tires play such a big role in performance, so as much rubber as I could get easily under the car was my goal. I picked up 4 18x10.5 C5Z rear wheels and used those on all 4 corners, with 285s front and 295s rear the car can now take advantage of those suspension and brake upgrades with more grip. It has Nitto NT05s on it now, but that will change as there are much better options out there.

It's worth noting that stock the car went 13.0, with only headers and tune bumping power, I can only think that the extra rotating mass is what has hurt the dragstrip performance. It's about 13.2x at this point.

Driveline

Nothing very fancy going on here. The stock clutch and hydraulics were in poor condition when I bought the car, so a Monster stage 2 clutch and Tick Master cylinder went in the car, along with new slave and remote bleeder. The master cylinder makes such a huge difference in clutch performance and makes banging gears with the MGW shifter much easier. Everything else is stock. I don't have big power numbers in mind, or hard drag strip launches so the factory Corvette trans/diff/axles should be just fine.

Power

Everybody's favorite part, including mine. I have installed longtube headers, off-road x-pipe, and Corsa sport mufflers with tigershark tips. The exhaust note gets many nice compliments and I love it, not too loud cruising, nice sound at idle, but when you're into it the car screams. Then there is the A&A supercharger set up. This has been my most recent upgrade. It's awesome how linear the power is and still drives like stock, making 521rwhp/498rwtq. Obviously this is what wakes the car up. There are a few supporting mods like a Mighty Mouse catch can set up, full return fuel system with boost referenced regulator, and an upgraded stock diameter balancer.

Tuning

Some of you may know that I tune my own cars. The 97-98 cars in general have a bad reputation, and one of those reasons is the stock computer. I originally wanted to use EFILive the way I did with the Camaro, but their scanner gives you false data on a 97-98 PCM (as I found out when I tried to do it this way). I considered repinning the PCM and using the 99 and up 411 PCM, this seemed like overkill in this case but not a bad option. So the best option was HPTuners, and even though there is a custom OS for a 2bar I decided to use a mini-AFC and keep the MAF. With a few pointers from Dyno Brian, this thing drives like stock with the stock 97 PCM and stock MAF.

Summary

So I've accomplished my goals, and while I won't stop working on the car, the major things I wanted to do are done. It goes a whole lot better, stops great, and handles good. I really have a blast driving the car. I have some cosmetic things to fix. I need to decide what to do about the seats (stock C5 seats are not great), if I rebuild them, or find a good aftermarket seat. Anyway here's some pictures.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1000&pictureid=9028

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1000&pictureid=9029

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1000&pictureid=9026

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent description of what you wanted out of this platform: a reasonable and attainable list of goals out of the C5 Corvette. Great thread, and looking forward to seeing what else you end up doing with it.

Great job avoiding “project creep” as well, where a mild handling improvement ends up being a twin-turbo, rollcaged track car that’s uncomfortable on the street :lol:

• 1 month later...

What brand and size long tubes and X pipe did you go with? Were you happy with the quality and fitment? There so many opinions, brands, and sizes... It's exhausting.

Option 1 - "you get what you pay for" and "do it once, do it right " mentality - American Racing Header, LG Motorsports Super Pro, or Kooks. 1 7/8" and 3 x-pipe, $1900

Option 2 - The middle ground- LG Street Series, 1 3/4" and 2.5" X-pipe, $1500

Option 3 - The cheap, good 'nough route - Texas Speed Performance, 1 3/4 and 3" x-pipe, $800

At the time I did the clutch most of the exhaust bolts at the manifolds broke and damaged the flanges on the manifolds. I needed to do something more then I wanted, and since I refused to track down more manifolds I bought cheap headers. I didn't want cheap headers and may still change them, but it is what it is. I bought XS Power headers from Huron Speed. They do fit and were not overly hard to put in. The x-pipe fitment isn't very good and leaks a little at the header connection. The headers rub the steering shaft randomly because sitting still there is clearance, not sure if the header is too close or the motor mounts move a little more then they should being old.

I'm not sure if I'd buy Kooks or American Racing headers. I've seen Kooks on a car and the install and fitment was great. LG and all their overpriced Corvette shit can keep it, their customer service when trying to get some info was shitty, will not buy.

XSPower looks like quite a deal --- $675, free shipping and the website says "*New Version III *Revised for better steering shaft clearance and O2 clearance!".

Thanks for the info.

At the time I did the clutch most of the exhaust bolts at the manifolds broke and damaged the flanges on the manifolds. I needed to do something more then I wanted, and since I refused to track down more manifolds I bought cheap headers. I didn't want cheap headers and may still change them, but it is what it is. I bought XS Power headers from Huron Speed. They do fit and were not overly hard to put in. The x-pipe fitment isn't very good and leaks a little at the header connection. The headers rub the steering shaft randomly because sitting still there is clearance, not sure if the header is too close or the motor mounts move a little more then they should being old.

I'm not sure if I'd buy Kooks or American Racing headers. I've seen Kooks on a car and the install and fitment was great. LG and all their overpriced Corvette shit can keep it, their customer service when trying to get some info was shitty, will not buy.

XSPower looks like quite a deal --- $675, free shipping and the website says "*New Version III *Revised for better steering shaft clearance and O2 clearance!".

Thanks for the info.

Fyi, I have the "version 3", I'd hate to see what the older stuff fit like.

GREAT thread. These are some awesome upgrades! After riding in a C5Z last week at the NCM track, vette is for sure coming when I can get rid of the VW.

Friend of mine had an NA C5Z that made 470 wheel. It was lowered and drove like a damn go cart...in a good way. I would go into a corner at a speed that would have rolled most cars and the vette took it with little to no effort. Brakes were fantastic as well. Very well sorted car for sure. I would love to have one.