Cordell's C5 -major mods done

Cordell

Awesome car man. What are the c5 years/options to look for?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well that's a loaded question. Any of the issues on these cars can be fixed, and since I don't spend money other then parts buying an early car didn't other me much. Most people prefer the 01-04, a few upgrades from the Z06 hit every car and most of the bugs were worked out by then. I personally think a 99-00 FRC would be ideal for modding, but not easy to find a nice example compared to how easy some other C5s are to get.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend of mine had an NA C5Z that made 470 wheel. It was lowered and drove like a damn go cart...in a good way. I would go into a corner at a speed that would have rolled most cars and the vette took it with little to no effort. Brakes were fantastic as well. Very well sorted car for sure. I would love to have one.

That’s exactly how this one handled. It went around the track like a banshee. I asked the instructor what cars out there are best he has had on the track and he said this car and a 997 GT3.

4f8b73e93f75359976e5755cb844cd08.jpg

Sorry for derailing this.... anyways... Cordell any close ups of the brake set up with the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this? Remeber they are 18x10.5 C5z rear wheels all the way around.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1000&pictureid=9077

Love the set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
So a little update, I went out to Trails Wednesday night. Car ran 11.97 at 121. I'm happy with that, I realize with that mph it should be quicker, but it wasn't set up to be a drag car. Not too bad for a 21 year old car on street tires.

So a little update, I went out to Trails Wednesday night. Car ran 11.97 at 121. I'm happy with that, I realize with that mph it should be quicker, but it wasn't set up to be a drag car. Not too bad for a 21 year old car on street tires.

Not bad at all :thumbup:

How did it compare to my car? Same MPH for both of us. I did 12.01 @ 121 with 275 sumitomo tires.

Yeah, that's really good considering what the car is built for.

I think we need to replicate this combo in a car that's set up to go fast in a straight line to see what it can do...

So what is the car built for?

Not for drag racing. To be honest I really wanted to take the whole car to a higher level, making it go, steer, and stop better. So in short it's not really built for anything, it's just built for me. This is also why I'm not selling it.

Not for drag racing. To be honest I really wanted to take the whole car to a higher level, making it go, steer, and stop better. So in short it's not really built for anything, it's just built for me. This is also why I'm not selling it.

I might know of a way to make this happen...

• 3 months later...
Cordell,

Based on your recommendation and the internets, i just purchased some 1-7/8" Kooks race headers, cat delete x-pipe, spark plugs, and wires.

Any other suggestions for things to replace, "while I'm in there"?

I would replace the O2 sensors (front 2), and you could consider a tunnel plate (supposedly makes a big difference, but I don’t have one).

• 1 month later...

So I was out beating on the car last weekend and this happened. All I can figure is it's some cheap aftermarket water pump (certainly not the original GM pump), it was on the car when I got it, and apparently doesn't like the load of the supercharger.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1000&pictureid=9218

Well I was thinking about selling this car, and came to the conclusion that I don't need to make car payments on something that won't get driven alot, so for about the 5th time now I'm just going to keep it.

So having decided to keep it, I ordered a few different things. I picked out an Edelbrock water pump with a billet pulley (this better not break), 160 degree t-stat, and new cut down but thicker and nicer DeWitts Aluminum radiator with matching fans and built in oil cooler.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1000&pictureid=9219

I also have a silicone radiator hose kit ordered, and turn one power steering pump with cooler to install. I plan on taking this car out on track next year, sucks the weather is turning so fast this year I'd like to get it together before I have to store it.

• 3 months later...

So after debating about selling it (again) and having all my friends and wife talk me out of it, I decided that I can’t leave it alone. I do really enjoy this car, but the last time I drove it the water pump failed. See above post with how I went overboard on cooling system upgrades.

So before I get it back to the dyno so I can drive it again I will be adding the following; smaller blower pulley, methanol injection, and camshaft kit. I’ll be converting it to 2 bar, and the pulley will max the Si trim so it should be north of 600 wheel. Going to lean on this all original 22 year old LS1. Granted it only has 54k miles. Anything can happen so once everything gets together and I tune it hopefully it’ll stay together. So here’s to trying to make too much horsepower in an “autocross” car LOL.

• 3 months later...

So this year has been interesting thus far.

On my birthday (April 1st) I had it on the dyno with the following added parts, 3.4 pulley (down from 3.6), CCP Jam Cam, supporting cam swap mods, and Alky meth injection kit. That day did not go as expected because my dumbass thought I'd be okay with the meth, nope, ran out of fuel. Took it home and spent a few weeks figuring out how to make a Walbro 450Lph pump fit in the Corvette tank.

Back on the dyno and it ended up at 680rwhp and 606rwtq. Unfortunately it rained that Saturday and I hit some standing water on the way home, hydro locked the engine, broke 2 connecting rods and windowed the block. That really sucked.

After weighing many options I decided that I didn't want this car any more modded then I had originally planned on and decided to buy a 60k mile used LS6 dropout from a wrecked 2001 Z06. This gave me the better 243 heads and LS6 intake, I swapped the cam and everything else over, LS9 head gaskets and ARP head studs, decided to upgrade to Kooks 1 7/8" long tubes and off-road x-pipe, and a new McCleod RST twin disk.

It hasn't been on the dyno getting retuned, just me conservatively street tuning it, but I put it on Carlyle's dyno Friday night anyway just to see, and it only made 655rwhp and 595rwtq. Looks like the belt may have been slipping a little bit up top, and like I said just street tuning.

Made a few passes a the track, 11.9 at 130.00 so as you can tell it spins a lot. Participated at Street Car Takeover Saturday in the roll racing, wasn't sure what to expect but it was fun. Made a few passes trapping 136mph.

Been a roller coaster year, but it's alive and doing pretty well. Maybe I can leave it alone for now.