Bumpstocks - Now Illegal in Columbus

KillJoy

http://www.10tv.com/article/columbus-begins-citywide-bump-stock-ban

PUBLISHED: 06/13/18 05:16 AM EDTUPDATED: 06/13/18 08:47 AM EDT

COLUMBUS

People in Columbus are asked to take a second look at what gun-related equipment they have as city legislation changes.

Columbus moved into a citywide ban of bump stocks guns along with other changes Wednesday. City Council members say it was a move for better safety for families and an effort to curb violence within the community.

It is now illegal to own bump stocks in Columbus. Other gun accessories are no longer allowed and the council's ordinance also bans toy guns that do not have the orange caps on them.

Bump stocks can be mounted to semi-automatic rifles and can allow an increased rate-of-fire that is similar to fully-automatic weapons. They gained notoriety when they were allegedly found in the hotel room of Stephen Paddock after 58 people were killed in Las Vegas last October.

Some people supporting the second amendment right of the people to keep and bear arms voice concern. Florida was sued after passing its sweeping gun reform law that also raised the age to purchase rifles and instituted a waiting period for handguns.

In Columbus, police play a role in the changes. Anyone looking to discard the now illegal items can drop them off at the South Columbus Police property room.

Officers said people can also call the police department and officers will pick them up from your home. The department said it will melt down all of the items to be sure they are not used in any future situation.

KillJoy

City Council members say it was a move for better safety for families and an effort to curb violence within the community.

I didn't realize that Columbus was having such an issue with bump stocks being used in violence.....

I'm certainly glad someone turned off the faucet that was allowing all this blood to run through our streets. I, for one, can sleep much better knowing now that I'm protected.

It pleases the voting sheep, therefore it becomes law.

Neither side wants true commonsense gun laws so we're stuck with these pointless laws.

• 3 weeks later...

For the moment. It should be pointed out that the law was found "unconstitutional" with the "Home Rule Amendment" to the Ohio constitution meaning that if there is a bump stock law it has to be enacted at the state level. The court DID NOT say a bumpstock ban was unconstitutional with the second amendment regardless what Dean Rieck is quoted as saying in the article.

But again:

1) who really cares? I don't think there was much demand for these things before.

2) There is very good legal argument that could be made at the federal level for why a bump stock ban is appropriate. There has been a fully automatic weapons law in this country since the 1930's. It has been proven to be consistent with the boundaries of the second amendment so it is not in question. It is perfectly reasonable that bumpstocks could be considered a way of circumventing a federal law, and therefore added to the existing regulation on fully automatic weapons. So what's wrong with that? What's wrong with saying - hey there is a loophole so let's close the loophole?

It is perfectly reasonable that bumpstocks could be considered a way of circumventing a federal law, and therefore added to the existing regulation on fully automatic weapons. So what's wrong with that? What's wrong with saying - hey there is a loophole so let's close the loophole?

While I agree that bumpstocks are neither in high demand/used often nor are they logical the above section of your post claiming that bumpstocks are a way to circumvent the ban fully automatic firearms tells me all I need to know about your understanding of how both systems operate.

While I agree that bumpstocks are neither in high demand/used often nor are they logical the above section of your post claiming that bumpstocks are a way to circumvent the ban fully automatic firearms tells me all I need to know about your understanding of how both systems operate.

Oh come off it, he's not an idiot and these things aren't that complicated. The automatic weapons restriction is about guns that go "ratatatat," and the mechanism they used to do that was to focus on weapons that fired more than one round with a single trigger pull. Bumpstocks make weapons go "ratatatat" but hur de hur each round is it's own trigger pull, so it skirts the letter of the law but clearly violates the spirit. It's the mechanical equivalent of holding your finger 2 inches from your sister's face and saying "I'm not touching you" in the backseat.