Honda/Acura people Transmission software Question

carl1647545492

Wifeys 05 Odyssey has a shudder on very light throttle,I believe its the Tranny/tq converter and not running gear,everything else feels fine shifting through the gears apart from the slight judder on light acceleration in the 30 to 40 mph zone that goes away when you give it gas.

We are booked in to get a "software" flash at Roush Honda for $116....no biggie...what does that hope to achieve and does it work?

Cheers.

My 05 Honda pilot used to do this too. Only at very light throttle. I replaced some solenoids for 3rd and 4th gear hoping it would fix it, it didn't. I never got it resolved before selling it. Seems like its a pretty common issue.

The software flash could change line pressure or shift points and get rid of it I suppose. I never tried taking mine to the dealer.

My 05 Honda pilot used to do this too. Only at very light throttle. I replaced some solenoids for 3rd and 4th gear hoping it would fix it, it didn't. I never got it resolved before selling it. Seems like its a pretty common issue.

The software flash could change line pressure or shift points and get rid of it I suppose. I never tried taking mine to the dealer.

I don't too but from what I have read it solves the problem half of the time.

My TSX was driving me crazy with a shudder for months. I ended up having to replace the front axle half shafts. This is fairly common on the Acuras but I am not sure about the Honda products.

I live with it if its axles.

I did a triple tranny oil change replaced the external atf filter put some lubeguard in it and lets see if that can help/fix it.

My wife's 06 CR-V has just started doing this as well. I thought it was a misfire or something, but no codes and plugs/wires are good. I've also noticed a small leak coming from somewhere so I've been thinking the tranny is leaking. I'd like to see if this could be a solution for us as well.

When did you last change the tranny oil? If you can't remember you may want to change it 3 times over a course of a few days driving to gently clean it out.

Odyssey is every 30 k and we have not been religious about doing it but always do timing belt/Oil and stuff we can see, go figure.

When did you last change the tranny oil? If you can't remember you may want to change it 3 times over a course of a few days driving to gently clean it out.

Odyssey is every 30 k and we have not been religious about doing it but always do timing belt/Oil and stuff we can see, go figure.

Probably never had it done. At least while we've owned it. Never did it on her previous CR-V either and it had 160k on it when we traded it in without issue.

We had my wife's previous, previous Odyssey at Roush for the same issue, plus serious 3-4 shift issues, plus all kinds of dash lights. Roush quoted a new transmission, plus labor. We sold it for nothing, and told the new owner it needed a transmission. I ran into the new owner three months later, and he told my that Germain Honda put two solenoids in it, and it ran like new.

Long story short, get a second opinion if you feel you need to, and Odyssey transmissions sucked until 06+.

Thanks,

Tom

We had my wife's previous, previous Odyssey at Roush for the same issue, plus serious 3-4 shift issues, plus all kinds of dash lights. Roush quoted a new transmission, plus labor. We sold it for nothing, and told the new owner it needed a transmission. I ran into the new owner three months later, and he told my that Germain Honda put two solenoids in it, and it ran like new.

Long story short, get a second opinion if you feel you need to, and Odyssey transmissions sucked until 06+.

Thanks,

Tom

Yeah,I was hoping to fix before my Monday appointment.

Man thats a shitty deal on your Ody,guy should have given you a little something to take the edge off.

Thanks,

Tom

This. I was a detailer at a Honda dealer for a couple of summers in college and they had two guys who would do nothing but replace transmissions in second gen Odysseys and first gen Pilots. Honda stepped up and took care of a lot of people though, I have to give them credit for that.

From the dealer....."looks like the clutch paks are bad! no codes were showing"...."We at Honda is not allowed to tear into transmission.... new replacement tranny 5 thousand dollars"

A shame but it is what it is,I guess I will drive until it dies as it still works and is my mountain bike conveyance ; )

I have learnt my lesson as its the second good paid off car of mine to get kicked to the curb b/c of tranny issues.

Turns out the axle seal is bad and is draining transmission fluid. New seal and I'm having new fluid put in too. We will see how it goes I guess.

Wifeys 05 Odyssey has a shudder on very light throttle,I believe its the Tranny/tq converter and not running gear,everything else feels fine shifting through the gears apart from the slight judder on light acceleration in the 30 to 40 mph zone that goes away when you give it gas.

We are booked in to get a "software" flash at Roush Honda for $116....no biggie...what does that hope to achieve and does it work?

Cheers.

My Sister In Law just had this done at Matthews in Marion to fix the same issue on hers. It is smooth as butter now. They also did a fluid change while they were there.

My Sister In Law just had this done at Matthews in Marion to fix the same issue on hers. It is smooth as butter now. They also did a fluid change while they were there.

Did she do the "flash" too? I haven't noticed the shimmy at all since I had fresh fluid put in last week. We will see as the miles run up, but we put around 250 miles on the CR-V this weekend and it feels a lot better.

Do you know what they did to fix,new fluid flash or?

Did she do the "flash" too? I haven't noticed the shimmy at all since I had fresh fluid put in last week. We will see as the miles run up, but we put around 250 miles on the CR-V this weekend and it feels a lot better.

You dodged a bullet.

I drained ours 5 times with fresh atf replaced the small filter and I did not get lucky unfortunately,if the tranny is fubar then fresh fluid aint fixing it at this stage.

Do you know what they did to fix,new fluid flash or?

I had to call them twice. Once to tell them that its warranty work and they next time to tell them after they change the fluid to do the flash.

Her van has had both done and the problems have resolved.