BMW E36 - Ford 5.0L Swap

zeitgeist57

So, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts in my last thread.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127678

Since late 2017, my buddy's F-150 and Festiva's went to his ratty sister from probate. I ended up getting a 2000 Silverado that's been thuper, so no swap candidates lined up for 5.0L/T5 hearts and associated bits.

I've been DDing BMW on non-rainy days, CTS-V and Silverado for longer business trips or snowy weather. I've had two major problems with the Bimmer:

1) There's an annoying temp-creep issue, with the electric cooling fan not kicking on unless I turn on the A/C (so it's not the motor). I've replaced the temp switch, and Sean (Crossle) pressurized for air bubbles. It's just annoying to have to monitor the temp when crawling in highway traffic, and blasting the heater to bring temp down. Runs great everywhere else.

2) If I DID get rid of it..............I really don't know what I'd get to replace it. My wife doesn't want a Fox-body convertible, and everything else is pretty damn expensive for essentially THE SAME PLATFORM as my BMW.

I'm still looking at possibly selling it, but definitely considering using the winter downtime to do a Ford 5.0L swap from http://www.e36v8.net. Apparently the mounts are cheap and everything bolts in with no cutting/hammering.

1) Anyone know of a donor 90-93 Mustang V8 I can grab?

2) Though they have been picked over, is there a car-part.com similar site that lists where there may be wrecked Mustangs for sale?

So, I sell the BMW for $3k, then buy a 160k modified M3 convertible for another $4k?

I'm not saying I wouldn't do that, but I need to sell the 318 first.

I feel like if you put together a solid binder detailing the car's rarity (1 of 6?), plus a quick history of ownership as you know it (maint records, plus a bullited timeline of what you know), plus really good photos, you could probably pull $4-5K out of it on Bring a Trailer. There are people looking for affordable rarer BMWs that are in nice shape and yours is in really nice shape, you just need to find that market.

That M3's been up on CL for at least a year. I've must have looked at it a dozen times because of the estoril blue and white interior :masturboy: I betcha waving some leafy greens under the sellers nose would make him more mobile on the price.

1) There's an annoying temp-creep issue, with the electric cooling fan not kicking on unless I turn on the A/C (so it's not the motor). I've replaced the temp switch, and Sean (Crossle) pressurized for air bubbles. It's just annoying to have to monitor the temp when crawling in highway traffic, and blasting the heater to bring temp down. Runs great everywhere else.

There was an issue with some cars that the connector to the temperature sensor on the radiator that controls the electric fan was wired incorrectly.

Sort through this thread:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2207733-Z3-2-8-electric-fan-failure

So you are looking for a 25 plus year old engine and transmission to improve the reliability and performance for your 25 year old car? Most of those engines were beaten within inches of their lives, and a working t5 transmission is even rarer. Lots of work for 200whp.

Lots of work for 200whp.

an e36m will easily make >200whp, boosted ones aren't uncommon, and you'd get a car with functional gauges, a/c, power steering, etc all factory lol just won't have good 5.whoa sounds.

5.0 swap is a serious custom-drift thing for people that have way too much time and need to fill that hole with attention and instagram followers or whatever lol. Maybe a fun project for retirement?