Got Roofing quotes? Looking for feedback

zeitgeist57

So, I've gotten two quotes for roofing/new gutters for my house. Curious what people may think. Price reflects stripping down to the boards and new everything...

Size of roof: 37 squares.

Ross Roofing and Siding: $11,140 roof, $2300 for gutters $3880 gutters plus Leaf Relief aluminum gutter toppers.

Muth Roofing: $15,680 plus $2900 for gutters, $4500 with gutter toppers (wife has the quote)

EDIT: Quick google tells me installers usually go $350-500/square for architectural shingles, so $12950-18500 is an average range...

- I'm not so surprised about the roofing quote, but does anyone have a good GUTTER installer that would provide me a quote on a similar deal on gutters+topper without the roof?

- Also, the roof is old but good condition of single-layer asphalt shingles on my house. Does anyone re-shingle a roof anymore with another layer of shingles?

Edited by zeitgeist57

I know they install metal roofs on top of shingles, not sure if they will double shingle. Seems like a bad idea.

I'm about to have American weather tech do gutters, a ton of wood trim, vinyl siding and 2 sliding rear doors. Have been pretty good to work with so far. They also do roofs. They did my girlfriends parents house over 5 years ago and it looks great.

So, I've gotten two quotes for roofing/new gutters for my house. Curious what people may think. Price reflects stripping down to the boards and new everything...

Size of roof: 37 squares.

Ross Roofing and Siding: $11,140 roof, $2300 for gutters $3880 gutters plus Leaf Relief aluminum gutter toppers.

Muth Roofing: $15,680 plus $2900 for gutters, $4500 with gutter toppers (wife has the quote)

EDIT: Quick google tells me installers usually go $350-500/square for architectural shingles, so $12950-18500 is an average range...

- I'm not so surprised about the roofing quote, but does anyone have a good GUTTER installer that would provide me a quote on a similar deal on gutters+topper without the roof?

- Also, the roof is old but good condition of single-layer asphalt shingles on my house. Does anyone re-shingle a roof anymore with another layer of shingles?

Clay, give Rescue Roofing a call. Ken Maynard is the owner and will take great care of you. I used him a lot in my property management days and recommended him to many happy friends/co-workers.

Tell him Shaun from Park Towers sent you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kemp roofing has been recommended on here a number of times. I've gotten a quote from him and he was easy to work with and his pricing was fair.

I've also used Brad's 'amigo' roofer a few times with good success, they do roofing, siding, and ive had him replace some trim as well. But his not the type to pull permits etc if that matters to you.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'm sure someone not licensed, insured, bonded, doesn't pull permits, basically no official warranty, can get it done for cheaper. That's your call on what you want to do. I can't imagine not getting nailed for a non-permitted roof in UA.

That seems reasonable for the shingle roof, we went with a metal roof last year. We had companies we got quotes from do quotes for shingles too, just to understand the difference. They were all in the $5~7k range for less than half of that many squares, I can't remember how many exactly. I think one place said 13 or 15, but by my calcs now say it should be closer to 10~11. So, those prices seem really reasonable from my experience last year.

That gutter price seems ridiculous. The material is almost nothing, compared to that quote. I think I paid ~$100-$150 for half round (a little more expensive) custom rolled onsite (1 piece) for ~25' long gutter. The other parts was maybe another $100ish. I put up a new fascia on the front of the house and gutter, and new gutter and soffit last year on the back. The soffit and fascia were the time consuming parts. I thought I remember you saying something about some fascia work in the past? That'll could jack the cost up quite a bit. The gutter install is a pretty small amount of time, if it's just straight runs. Maybe your install is complex or you have a ton of linear footage?

Clay, give Rescue Roofing a call. Ken Maynard is the owner and will take great care of you. I used him a lot in my property management days and recommended him to many happy friends/co-workers.

Tell him Shaun from Park Towers sent you.

He got the insurance company to pay for my roof. My neighbor's was replaced due to hail damage. My insurance company didn't want to pay for it, but he worked hard to make it happen.

He got the insurance company to pay for my roof. My neighbor's was replaced due to hail damage. My insurance company didn't want to pay for it, but he worked hard to make it happen.
Ken is a great guy and hard worker.

Kemp roofing has been recommended on here a number of times. I've gotten a quote from him and he was easy to work with and his pricing was fair.

I've also used Brad's 'amigo' roofer a few times with good success, they do roofing, siding, and ive had him replace some trim as well. But his not the type to pull permits etc if that matters to you.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Greg is a great guy and does a fair amount for the CR forum.

His company is Kemp Roofing, about as honest and fair as you can be. They do gutters as well!

He did my old roof at my home, mothers, rentals, ect. Pricing is right in line with the "low end" but with high end installation and service. He handles all the insurance super well to.

Try him out IMO - Telephone (614) 848-8440

Email greg@kempohioroofing.com

• 3 months later...

FYI I went with Sure Home Improvements through the referral of a neighbor. https://www.surehomeimprovements.com/

Joe (owner) did a great job with the roofing, including new plywood sheets where a lot of them had rotted/delaminated, but his gutter subs left something to be desired when I started putting gutter guards over the new gutters. The corners were cut sloppy and the hangers weren't clipped over the backs of the gutters like I thought they should be. I did bitch to Joe and he provided good feedback. My roof is pretty complex so I know enough for what to expect with the gutter lines. They did use a lot of hangers and the gutters are big 6" jobs so I'm sure they will flow just fine.

Overall I'm happy with the finished job on one of my largest life investments, but this year reminded me why I HATE farming out work (roof/gutter, exterior paint) when I feel like I can do something myself (like at least the gutter guards https://www.amazon.com/M-Aluminum-Gutter-Guard-feet/dp/B076GS47CR/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541009179&sr=8-4&keywords=a-m+gutter+guard).

As I was installing the gutter guards I was reminded that these simpler jobs, while seemingly easy to undertake looking up at your 2-story-high roof, do end up being a lot of effort to NOT KILL YOURSELF while making seemingly simple aluminum panels fit and seal properly on a gutter. I do have a lot of respect for the guys that do roofing on a daily basis.

Why did you go with the old school open gutters than get all the debris inside then if you replaced your gutters ?

Because from my research, no one style of gutter completely eliminates clogs or maintenance. K-style gutters are still much cheaper than capped, or any sort of aftermarket-installed rain-management device.

I wanted gutters that I could cap myself, and maintain down the road.