Honda troubleshooting

gillbot

As seen in my FS thread, I’m trying to help mommy-in-law sell her 95 Honda Accord v6. Aside from me moving it around in my driveway, it never gave me an issue and always ran. Since it’s her car, I know little about it and since her departed BF took care of it for her, she only drove it. That means I have no info or history on the car.

After battling through the typical Craigslist bs, the first person interested came to check it out. Of course it started right up, then died. Wouldn’t restart unless you let it sit for a minute. If it dies and you let it sit, it fires right back up but dies again. It would only run a few minutes at a time so I thought run the bugs out. Nope. Still dies.

After the guy already bailed and a quick google, I pulled the main relay and don’t see anything obvious so I put it back. I couldn’t get the electrical part of the ignition switch out so I tightened it back up and reconnected everything. Fired right up and I drove it down the road and back without problem.

So, it isn’t rainy today. Maybe a distributor issue? Maybe I hit it enough with a hammer in rage it’s scared to stall? Any thoughts from the more Honda inclined people that I can check? I’m not opposed to swapping out the main relay and the electrical part of the ignition switch if I can get the damn thing out but I’d hate to waste the money just to make this damn car sell. On the other hand I know it’ll be impossible to sell in a non-running condition.

She needs the $. If I had room, I’d give her the $ and just deal with it but I’d rather have the space.

I tried the jiggle the key trick and it doesn’t die. I’m gonna order the relay from rockauto and see if that helps. Next maybe I’ll clean the cap and rotor to see if that has an effect.

Per the google, if it takes time to restart it’s likely the relay. If it restarts immediately it’s likely the ignition switch. Some claim to have done both and it ended up being the distributor or something.

No idea on the tensioner. So far so good after fiddling with the ignition switch and main relay. I ordered a main relay from RockAuto and i'll swap that out to see if it fixes it. $33 isn't as bad as I thought and much cheaper than sourcing locally.