Motorsports complex in Columbus

2 Sweet

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, what else are you going to do in Cbus besides go to ohio state and fuck sheep?

Seriously though, this place is a test market for a lot of stuff and this has caused the cost of opening a new business to skyrocket in heavily trafficked areas.

My only compliant is they don't do something like this with the other dead malls around town.

Fixed the first line for you...:yuno:

Also, Columbus USED to be a major test market when it reflected the total makeup of the country in a single metroplex, now at 2/3+ liberal (not as skewed as many major markets) - so today, not so much.

Do something with the other malls? Many years ago the "experts" said Columbus did not have enough retail space. Developers went crazy building more and now we have empty malls. The current "experts" say we need more apartments - standing by for that blight in 10-20 years as they all start to sit empty and crumble.

I am confused over the "crushing college loan debt" while graduates RENT apartments @ $1K-$2K a month and can't figure out why they don't have any money.....

Well, that went into a random rant quickly. Need some more sleep from this weeks travel i guess.

Fixed the first line for you...:yuno:

Also, Columbus USED to be a major test market when it reflected the total makeup of the country in a single metroplex, now at 2/3+ liberal (not as skewed as many major markets) - so today, not so much.

Columbus is still the #1 test market in the country despite being the #4th most representative city of american demographics because 1) it's geographically close to 46% of the US population, and 2) the industry has been here so long that the infrastructure (research firms, educational facilities, science labs) is more built out here than anything else. Also it's not the 2/3+ liberal demographic but that fact that the city under-represents key minority groups like Hispanics (5.6% in cbus vs 16% nationwide) that have caused it to slip to #4.

https://wallethub.com/edu/metro-areas-that-most-and-least-resemble-the-us/6109/#methodology

https://www.sbnonline.com/article/things-columbus-still-best-test-market/

Furthermore, what started out as a test market for restaurants and fast food, has grown into a test market for retail, agriculture, banking and finance, and technology. maybe the growth has slowed a little, likely due to recent inflation in the local real estate market, but it's still growth.

I thought you went away, or hoped you did. So nice without you, like getting rid of cockroaches.

Alittle out there for a response. I've met Kerry in person and he's a good dude. Yes we have had dozens of run in's in the political section, but he is down to earth if you meet him in person and don't talk politics. He literally volunterred to come to my house to help me with my project car.

Alittle out there for a response. I've met Kerry in person and he's a good dude. Yes we have had dozens of run in's in the political section, but he is down to earth if you meet him in person and don't talk politics. He literally volunterred to come to my house to help me with my project car.

Define "good".

As one of probably the only CR members who actually LIVE in this community it would certainly be nice to see something done with the location but "space for shopping" isn't exactly something the community is clamouring for. As easily one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city with some very legitimate social concerns it would be nice to see something constructive done instead of ... well ... this.

A drug rehab center for the problems this city/region has. Not like it will hurt the property values in that area...

Fuck that. Just sell it to CVS or Walgreens so they can build a warehouse for pills, sell off another section to whoever makes narcan. Then at least people can save on shipping.

I am legit curious, what would you or your neighborhood rather see done with the site?

Honestly some sort of publicly accessible entertainment would be awesome or an open athletics sports area. Our community is all over the place in terms of income and property values, those of us who have the means can go wherever to entertain ourselves but those who don't... well they don't have any close to home easy options.

EDIT: Some sort of outdoor theatre would be nice also, if you have seen the kinds of crowds the COSI facility pulls for their nights it's something the community highly enjoys.

Fuck that. Just sell it to CVS or Walgreens so they can build a warehouse for pills, sell off another section to whoever makes narcan. Then at least people can save on shipping.

Narcan walk up window?

I do like the idea of small outdoor theatre some other public space. Maybe urban farming land for people? ANYTHING but retail, good lord we have so many blighted strip malls in this city.

Narcan walk up window?

I do like the idea of small outdoor theatre some other public space. Maybe urban farming land for people? ANYTHING but retail, good lord we have so many blighted strip malls in this city.

We actually have no less than 3 urban farming plots with in a Par 4 (for you white people that don't live down here) of my house. It's becoming more and more of a thing. With the Mount Carmel West buildings being torn down there may be more "Green space" going in there as well.

Hell even another decent grocery option would be nice instead of people only having access to Quicky Marts and Aldi for foods. Unhealthy living doesn't always start with a needle, often times it comes from a bag or a can.

We actually have no less than 3 urban farming plots with in a Par 4 (for you white people that don't live down here) of my house. It's becoming more and more of a thing. With the Mount Carmel West buildings being torn down there may be more "Green space" going in there as well.

Hell even another decent grocery option would be nice instead of people only having access to Quicky Marts and Aldi for foods. Unhealthy living doesn't always start with a needle, often times it comes from a bag or a can.

+1.

Although, Aldi has a nice produce selection for cheap. I've gone there in the past (off of Mound Street) when I lived downtown...easy to get to, fresh produce and canned soups for office lunches.

Aldi definitely isn't a bad choice, since moving down here we have probably gotten 60% of our grocery needs from there. However if you are looking for another quality food source, or even a decent restaurant that's NOT something fast food you are lacking for choice. The "Bottoms" is definitely a neighborhood in need, but what we DON'T need are kitschy cool craft shops in containers that few if anyone in the area is interested in or capable of buying.

Aldi definitely isn't a bad choice, since moving down here we have probably gotten 60% of our grocery needs from there. However if you are looking for another quality food source, or even a decent restaurant that's NOT something fast food you are lacking for choice. The "Bottoms" is definitely a neighborhood in need, but what we DON'T need are kitschy cool craft shops in containers that few if anyone in the area is interested in or capable of buying.

Doesn't retail drive entertainment though? Synergy between restaurants, bars, movie theaters, even places like dave and busters and bowling alleys all want to be near retail centers.

If you are relying on Aldi for your mainstay groceries then y'all need a grocery store.

Doesn't retail drive entertainment though? Synergy between restaurants, bars, movie theaters, even places like dave and busters and bowling alleys all want to be near retail centers.

Retail is looking more for appropriate space at a sq/ft rent that works with the budget, serving a per-capita that fits their customer base.

Not sure how many bowling alleys have popped up since the 1970s but other new concepts (like TopGolf and Scene75) definitely try to find land that's big enough and cheap enough to build indoor space. Could be in a warehouse, could be out in a failed mall, or a new greenfield build.

Bars we don't need and won't get, no one in the community wants to see more of that. There are several of the "MicroBrew" type places nearby and that's just fine as its more in the arts district but as far as in the actual "Bottoms" itself.. not happening.

Retail establishment wise... what business caters to those that have a household income of less than $30k per year? These aren't people who swing out to Easton for a new outfit before going out, or over to Saks for some slacks, these are people who are barely getting by on what they have/make and are largely stuck in a cycle that's nearly impossible to break out of.

No way on this Greenish Blue planet a TopGolf or high end theatre would build down here in such a challenged neighborhood, their demographic is pretty easily defined and definitely not diverse or economically disabled.

Race track.

Srsly, doe. There's a whole lotta ingenuity out in poor regions that need creative engineering outlets, where people learn and practice skills that can get them a meaningful career and living wage to improve themselves and their neighborhood. SPARC could've helped with that when money events were over...

Not like an Aarons Rent-To-Own or a Goodwill, where you can get a flatscreen to plug in and tune out stuck in your crappy home.

The thing I've definitely learned in my 20+ year adult life is that greenspace matters. People will want to ride bikes, play games, or hang outside with friends and that is far healthier than people stuck inside.

Race track.

cbus being the 14th biggest city in the country, and not having a track is LOL what a joke.

brb have to go to circleville, mansfield, xenia, etc to drive without being stuck to someone's rear bumper

I will 100% agree with you Rymer the fact that we are consider a major city yet have terrible access to motorsports anywhere near the city limits is extremely sad. Especially considering how much production and R&D is around us that's automotive related. Unfortunately if talk to track owners with the rare exception of the "True Street" stuff we see growing from some grass roots dragracing there just aren't people in the stands anywhere and tracks can't exist on entrance fees from racers alone. If there aren't asses in the stands, there won't be any stands.

Clay you are totally correct, giving people coming up in impoverished neighborhoods a creative productive outlet is a HUGE boost and could be something the community really appreciates. Some of us do volunteer work with area youth to start teaching them employable trade skills that will give them a better shot at a living wage and out of the situation they are born into but unfortunately those opportunites are few and far between. A racetrack that had money making events then maybe even some sort of local sponsored race series would be quite welcome. The amount of money wasted on youth that go down the wrong path is incredible compared with might be possible with a little invested in the right place.